|Born||4 March 1953|
Nicholas Campion (born 4 March 1953) is a British astrologer and historian of astrology and cultural astronomy. He is the author of a number of books and currently pursues an academic career.
Campion is a former Daily Mail astrologer, where he took over from John Naylor, the son of R. H. Naylor, the first sun sign astrologer. He was president of the Astrological Lodge of London from 1985–7 and of the Astrological Association of Great Britain from 1994–99. He published a number of books on the practice of astrology between 1987 (The Practical Astrologer) and 2004 (The Book of World Horoscopes).
History of astrology and cultural astronomy
Concurrently with his activities as an astrologer Campion researched and published on the history of astrology and cultural astronomy. His book on millenarianism, The Great Year (1994), was described by Daily Telegraph journalist Damian Thompson as "a monumental study of historical schemes". In 1997 he founded the peer-reviewed journal Culture and Cosmos.
Campion is Associate Professor in Cosmology and Culture, Director the Sophia Centre, Principal Lecturer in the Institute of Education and Humanities, and programme director of the MA programmes in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology, and Ecology and Spirituality, at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David. In 2019 he became the Director of the University’s Harmony Institute and edited The Harmony Debates, a collection of forty-two papers on the philosophy and practice of Harmony.
Campion is the author/co-author of many books on astrology and its history, including:
- Campion, Nicholas (1982). An introduction to the history of astrology. London: Institute for the Study of Cycles in World Affairs. ISBN 0-9508412-0-X.
- Campion, Nicholas; Baigent, Michael; Harvey, Charles (1984). Mundane Astrology. Wellingborough, Northamptonshire: Aquarian Press. ISBN 0-85030-302-8.
- Campion, Nicholas; Jaine, Tom (1988). Cosmic Cuisine. Harper & Row.
- Campion, Nicholas (1994). The great year : astrology, millenarianism, and history in the Western tradition. London: Penguin. ISBN 0-14-019296-4.
- Campion, Nicholas (1997). The Practical Astrologer.
- Campion, Nicholas (2000). Zodiac: Enhance your life through astrology. Quadrille.
- Campion, Nicholas (2000). Astrology, history and apocalypse. London: Centre for Psychological Astrology Press. ISBN 1-900869-15-2.
- Campion, Nicholas (2001). Cosmos : a cultural history of astrology. London: Hambledon and London. ISBN 1-85285-257-7.
- Campion, Nicholas; Kollerstrom, Nick, eds. (2003). Galileo's Astrology. Culture and Cosmos. Cinnabar Books.
- Campion, Nicholas (2003). The Ultimate Astrologer: A Simple Guide to Calculating and Interpreting Birth Charts for Effective Application in Daily Life. Rider.
- Campion, Nicholas (2004). The Book of World Horoscopes. Wessex Astrologer.
- Campion, Nicholas (2006). What do astrologers believe?. London: Granta. ISBN 1-86207-838-6.
- Campion, Nicholas (2008). Horoscopes and Popular Culture, in Franklin, Bob (ed.), Pulling Newspapers Apart: Analysing Print Journalism. Oxford, England: Routledge. p. 253. ISBN 978-0-415-42555-1.
- Campion, Nicholas (2009). A History of Western Astrology Vol. 1: The Ancient World (first published as The Dawn of Astrology: A Cultural History of Western Astrology Vol. 1, The Ancient and Classical Worlds). London: Continuum. ISBN 978-1-4411-2737-2.
- Campion, Nicholas (2009). A History of Western Astrology Vol. 2: The Medieval and Modern Worlds. London: Continuum. ISBN 978-1-4411-2737-2.
- Campion, Nicholas (2012). Astrology and Cosmology in the World's Religions. New York, NY: New York University Press. ISBN 978-0-8147-1714-1.
- Campion, Nicholas (2012). Astrology and Popular Religion in the Modern West: Prophecy, Cosmology and the New Age Movement. Farnham, England: Ashgate. ISBN 978-1-4094-3514-3.
- Campion, Nicholas (2015). The Moral Philosophy of Space Travel: A Historical Review, in Jai Galliot (ed.), Commercial Space Exploration: Ethics, Policy, Governance (Abingdon: Ashgate; London: Routledge 2016), pp. 9-22. ISBN 9781472436115.
- Campion, Nicholas (2015). The New Age in the Modern West: Counter-Culture, Utopia and Prophecy from the late Eighteenth Century to the Present Day. London: Bloomsbury 2015. ISBN 978-1-4725-2279-5.
- Campion, Nicholas; Pimenta, F.; Ribeiro, N.; Silva, F.; Joaquinito, A.; Tirapicos, L. (2015). Stars and Stones: Voyages in Archaeoastronomy and Cultural Astronomy – a Meeting of Different Worlds. Oxford: British Archaeology Reports. ISBN 978-1-4073-1441-9.
- Campion, Nicholas; Silva, Fabio (2015). Skyscapes: The Role and Importance of the Sky in Archaeology. Oxford: Oxbow. ISBN 978-1-78297-840-4.
- Campion, Nicholas; Greenbaum, Dorian (2016). Astrology in Time and Place: Cross-Cultural Currents in the History of Astrology. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. ISBN 1-4438-8381-6.
- Campion, Nicholas; Rappenglück, Barbara; Rappenglück, Michael; Silva, Fabio (2016). Astronomy and Power: How Worlds are Structured. Oxford: British Archaeology Reports. ISBN 978-1-4073-1441-9.
- Campion, Nicholas (2016). Archaeoastronomy and Calendar Cities in Daniel Brown (ed.), Modern Archaeoastronomy: From Material Culture to Cosmology, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 865, 2016, pp. 1-7.
- Campion, Nicholas (2016). Heavenly Discourses. Proceedings of the Heavenly Discourses Conference, University of Bristol, 14-16 October 2011. Lampeter: Sophia Centre Press. ISBN 978-1-907767-07-4.
- Campion, Nicholas (2017). The Importance of Cosmology in Culture: Contexts and Consequences, in Abraao Jesse Capistrano de Souza (ed.), Cosmology, InTech Open, pp. 3-17. ISBN 978-953-51-3209-7.
- Campion, Nicholas; Zahrt, Jennifer (2018). Astrology as Art: Representation and Practice. Lampeter: Sophia Centre Press. ISBN 978-1-907767-10-4.
- Campion, Nicholas; Impey, Chris (2018). Imagining Other Worlds: Explorations in Astronomy and Culture. Lampeter: Sophia Centre Press. ISBN 978-1-907767-11-1.
- Campion, Nicholas (2020). The Harmony Debates: Exploring a Practical Philosophy for a Sustainable Future. Lampeter: Sophia Centre Press. ISBN 978-1-907767-22-7.
- Marc Edmund Jones Award (1992)
- Prix Georges Antares Award (1994)
- Spica Award (1999)
- Charles Harvey Prize (2002)
- Regulus Award (2002)
- Regulus Award (2012)
- Lewis, James, R. The astrology encyclopedia, p.105. Gale Research, 1994. ISBN 978-0-8103-8900-7.
- "Study Astrology: University of Wales, Lampeter".
- "Interview with Nick Campion – Part 2". Astrological Association. Archived from the original on 14 October 2014. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Astrology, Centre For Psychological. "The Centre For Psychological Astrology – Nick Campion".
- "Ariadne". New Scientist. 3 February 1990.
- "Check it Out: Hi-tech Alternatives". The Independent. 30 January 1999. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 September 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Dr Nicholas Campion". University of Wales, Trinity Saint David. 2020. Retrieved 25 August 2020.
- "Nicholas Campion is Associate Professor in Cosmology and Culture". Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. 2020.
- "Ecology and Spirituality (MA)". University of Wales, Trinity Saint David. 2020. Retrieved 24 August 2020.
- "Harmony Institute. Harmony in Theory and Practice". University of Wales, Trinity Saint David. 2020. Retrieved 31 July 2020.
- "The Harmony Debates". Sophia Centre Press. 2020. Retrieved 25 August 2020.
- Burnett, Bev (22 September 1988), "Star grazing", Chicago Sun-Times, archived from the original on 11 October 2013
- Review of The Great Year by Heath-Stubbs, John Francis Alexander, Contemporary Review, 1 November 1995 (subscription required)
- BOOKS / Paperbacks by Blake, Robin, The Independent, 23 October 1994
- Readers' round-up, The Scotsman, 9 September 2000 (subscription required)
- Review of Galileo's Astrology, Boner, Patrick J., Renaissance Quarterly, 22 March 2006 (subscription required)
- Mark Edmond Jones Award, 1992 Archived 14 November 2012 at the Wayback Machine for scholarly and innovative work for his The Book of World Horoscopes
- Beyond Belief? James Langton interviews Archived 5 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine Nicholas Campion, Robert Currey and Liz Greene,. (23 August 1992) Sunday Telegraph Review. "He (Campion) is accepted as a "serious" astrologer, a winner of the prestigious Marc Edmund Jones Award in Washington earlier this year for his work on "mundane astrology"."
- Lewis, James R. (2003) The Astrology Book: The Encyclopedia of Heavenly Influences, Visible Ink Press, MI, USA 
- "Astrological Association of Great Britain :: The Charles Harvey Award".
- www.astro.com, Astrodatabank by Lois Rodden and Astrodienst AG Zollikon, Switzerland – astro.com -. "Nick Campion, horoscope for birth date 4 March 1953, born in Bristol, with Astrodatabank biography – Astro-Databank".
- "UAC – United Astrology Conference 2018".