Nicholas Hooper is a British film and television composer. He has scored the award-winning BBC productions Land of the Tiger and Andes to Amazon, as well as the TV movies The Girl in the Café and My Family and Other Animals among others. Hooper won a BAFTA Award and an Ivor Novello Award for Original Score in 2004 for The Young Visiters and a BAFTA for Best Original Television Music in 2007 for Prime Suspect: The Final Act.
His highest-profile score is for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, reuniting with old friend director David Yates, with whom he had worked before on The Tichborne Claimant, The Way We Live Now, State of Play, The Young Visiters and The Girl in the Café. This was Hooper's first work on a blockbuster movie. Hooper was chosen again by Yates for the following Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, for which he was nominated for a Grammy. However, he chose not to return for the final two installments. Hooper moved on to score the soundtrack to the Disney documentary African Cats, which was chosen as one of the 97 original scores eligible for a nomination at the 84th Academy Awards in 2011.
Hooper released a solo guitar album "6 Strings" on 9 December 2015. The album features Irish folk music and was recorded at Abbey Road Studios in London.
- "Port Meadow" (1985)
- "The Road Ahead" (1988)
- "Wildabout" (1989)
- "National Geographic Series" (1991)
- The Weaver's Wife (1991)
- Good Looks (1992)
- The Time Traveller (1993)
- Land of the Tiger (1995)
- Punch (1996)
- The Tichborne Claimant (1998)
- Andes to Amazon (2000)
- The Way We Live Now (2001) BAFTA Nomination
- The Secret (2002)
- The Heart of Me (2003)
- The Future is Wild (2003)
- Loving You (2003)
- State of Play (2003) BAFTA Nomination
- The Young Visiters (2003) BAFTA Winner
- Messiah III: The Promise (2004)
- Blue Murder (2004)
- Nature (1996–2005)
- The Girl in the Café (2005) BAFTA Nomination
- The Chatterley Affair (2006)
- Prime Suspect: The Final Act (2006) BAFTA Winner
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
- Einstein and Eddington (2008)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) Grammy Nomination
- Enid (2009)
- Yes, Virginia (2009)
- 10 Minute Tales (2009)
- Mo (2010)
- DCI Banks: Aftermath (2010)
- African Cats (2011)
- Birdsong (BBC One Drama) (2012)
- Chimpanzee (2012)
- The Escape Artist (2013)
- "Nicholas Hooper". COOL Music Limited. Retrieved 2007-01-16.[dead link]
- Mikael Carlsson (2007-05-08). "Hooper writes new themes for Potter film" (PDF). Film Music Weekly. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-07-24. Retrieved 2008-04-28.
- "The 52nd Annual Grammy Awards Nominees List". Grammy.com. Archived from the original on 2010-09-27. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
-  Archived December 11, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "97 Original Scores in 2011 Oscar® Race | Press Release | The Academy". Oscars.org. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "6 Strings". 2015-12-09. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- Nicholas Hooper - IMDb