Nicholas Trench, 9th Earl of Clancarty
Nicholas Le Poer Trench, 9th Earl of Clancarty, 8th Marquess of Heusden (born 1 May 1952) is an Irish peer, as well a nobleman in the Dutch nobility. He serves as an elected Crossbench hereditary peer in the British House of Lords. He was educated at Westminster School.
He was born in Uxbridge, on 1 May 1952, the only son of Power Edward Ford Le Poer Trench, second son of the fifth Earl from his second marriage. He is married to the journalist Victoria Lambert and has one daughter.
Membership of House of Lords
In 1995 he succeeded to the titles on the death of his childless uncle, Brinsley Le Poer Trench, 8th Earl of Clancarty. He took his seat in the House of Lords at this time as Viscount Clancarty, a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom, because titles in the Peerage of Ireland did not entitle their holders to sit even before the House of Lords Act 1999 removed the majority of the hereditary peers.
Under the terms of that Act, Clancarty lost his automatic right to a seat; he was unsuccessful in the election by the Crossbench hereditary peers of 28 of their number to continue to sit after the Act came into force, finishing 37th in a field of 79 candidates.
He was an unsuccessful candidate in four by-elections caused by the deaths of sitting hereditary peers, being runner-up on two occasions. In 2010 he returned to the House after winning the by-election to replace 4th Viscount Colville of Culross.
Clancarty is a self-employed artist and freelance writer and translator.
Titles and styles
- 1 May 1952 – 18 May 1995: Nicholas Trench, Esq.
- 18 May 1995 – present: The Right Honourable The Earl of Clancarty
- 18 May 1995 – present (in the Netherlands): De hooggeboren heer Nicholas Trench, markies van Heusden
Besides being an Irish peer, he also belongs to the Dutch nobility. There is no identified male heir to all his titles.
- "United Kingdom Election Results - House of Lords Act: Hereditary Peers Elections". Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "House of Lords Act: Hereditary Peers Byelection, March 2003". March 2003. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "Crossbench Hereditary Peers' By-election, June 2010: Result" (PDF). 23 June 2010. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "Earl of Clancarty: Register of Members' Interests". Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Clancarty
- Official biography at House of Lords
- Nick Trench blog
- Profile at TheyWorkForYou.com
- Twitter page
|Peerage of Ireland|
Brinsley Le Poer Trench
|Earl of Clancarty
Brinsley Le Poer Trench
|Marquess of Heusden
|This biographical article of a European noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|