||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Nicholas Mirzoeff is a visual culture theorist and professor in the Department of Media, Culture and Communication at New York University. He is best known for his work developing the field of visual culture and for his many books and his widely used textbook on the subject. He is also Deputy Director of the International Association for Visual Culture and organized its first conference in 2012. Mirzoeff holds a BA degree from Oxford University and studied for his PhD at the University of Warwick.
- 2007-Present: Journal of Photography and Culture, Editorial Board Member
- 2005: Visiting Canterbury Fellow, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- 2004-2007: British Film Institute Television Classics, Editorial Board Member
- 2002-Present: Situation Analysis, Editorial Board Member
- 2002: Visiting Fellow, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown MA
- 2002: Leverhulme Visiting Professor, University of Nottingham, UK
- 2001-Present: The Journal of Visual Culture, Editorial Board Member
- 2001: Visiting Fellow, Humanities Research Center, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
- 2001: William Andrews Clark Memorial Library, UCLA, Visiting Fellow
- 2000-2005: Visual Culture Caucus, Founder and Co-President
- 2000-2005: College Art Association, Board of Directors
- 1996: Postdoctoral Fellow, Humanities Institute, Stony Brook University
- 1994: Huntington Library, Pasadena, CA, Visiting Fellow
- 1993: Yale Center for British Art, Visiting Fellow
- 1992: J. Paul Getty Center, Postdoctoral Fellow in the History of Art and the Humanities
- 1991: NEH Postdoctoral Fellow, UCLA Center for 17th and 18th Century Studies
- 2006: Steinhardt Challenge Grant
Publications and bibliography
- The Right to Look: A Counterhistory of Visuality (Duke University Press, 2011)
- Seinfeld: A Critical Study of the Series (British Film Institute, 2007)
- Watching Babylon: the War in Iraq and Global Visual Culture (Routledge, 2005) translated into Italian as Guardare la Guerra (Rome: Meltemi, 2005)
- (as editor) Diaspora and Visual Culture: Representing Africans and Jews (London and New York: Routledge, 2001)
- An Introduction to Visual Culture (London and New York: Routledge, 1999) translations into Italian, Spanish, Korean and Chinese. Second fully revised edition, 2008.
- (as editor) The Visual Culture Reader (London and New York: Routledge, 1998) Second fully revised edition, 2002.
- Bodyscape: Art, Modernity and the Ideal Figure (London and New York: 1995) translated into Korean
- Silent Poetry: deafness, sign and visual culture in modern France (Princeton and London: Princeton University Press, 1995)
- Nicholas Mirzoeff biography at NYU (Accessed November 1, 2007)
- Nelson, Jennifer L. (1997). "Silent Poetry: Deafness, Sign, and Visual Culture in Modern France (review)". Bulletin of the History of Medicine. 71 (4): 749–750. doi:10.1353/bhm.1997.0161.