Nicholas Pegg is a British actor, director and writer.
His acting work in the theatre includes productions for Nottingham Playhouse, Scottish Opera, Birmingham Repertory Theatre and the Theatre Royal, Plymouth. He appears in several audio plays based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who. He has also appeared as a Dalek operator in numerous episodes of the 21st-century relaunch of the television series. In his capacity as a Dalek operator he has also appeared in person on Blue Peter and in many editions of the documentary series Doctor Who Confidential. In November 2013 he appeared as himself in the 50th anniversary comedy homage The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot.
Pegg's other acting roles on television include appearances in EastEnders and Doc Martin. He appeared in the 2012 comedy film The Plotters, and played Captain Smollett in the 2013 audio dramatisation of Treasure Island by Big Finish Productions. For the audiobook company Textbook Stuff he has recorded the collected poems of Andrew Marvell, and for Penguin Audiobooks in 2013 he read the Doctor Who short stories Tip of the Tongue by Patrick Ness and Spore by Alex Scarrow.
On 19 January 2014, he wrote and performed The UKIP Shipping Forecast, a satirical response to the pronouncements of various high-profile members of the UK Independence Party. The sketch went viral, receiving 250,000 hits in 4 days.
As a writer, Nicholas Pegg is a noted authority on the life and work of David Bowie. He is the author of The Complete David Bowie (ISBN 9780857682901). He was consultant on the 2013 BBC TV documentary David Bowie: Five Years, and in the same year he contributed to the Victoria and Albert Museum's exhibition David Bowie Is. He appeared as a Bowie expert in the 2007 TV documentary series Seven Ages of Rock.
He has written for publications including Mojo, Q Magazine, Pride LIfe, and Doctor Who Magazine, and has written stage plays, including numerous pantomimes for British theatres including Harrogate Theatre, the Queen's Theatre, Hornchurch, the MacRobert Playhouse in Stirling, and the Theatre Royal, Nottingham.
Pegg's other writing credits include the short stories Deep Water and Hold Your Horses for the 2008 and 2009 Doctor Who Storybooks as well as contributions to The Doctor Who Annual and The Brilliant Book of Doctor Who. He has also written numerous features for the BBC's range of DVD releases of the Doctor Who television series. He wrote Cheques, Lies and Videotape, a documentary about the heyday of pirate videos, which appeared on the DVD release of Revenge of the Cybermen. He also wrote When Worlds Collide, a documentary about politics and ideology in Doctor Who, which appeared on the DVD release of The Happiness Patrol, and A Matter of Time, a documentary about Doctor Who under the producership of Graham Williams, which was the leading special feature on the Key to Time series box set. Pegg has worked as script editor on several other documentary features, appears as moderator for the Doctor Who DVD audio commentaries of The Mutants and Resurrection of the Daleks (Special Edition), and wrote the "info text" subtitles for many DVD releases.
Pegg has appeared as a Dalek in numerous episodes of Doctor Who:
- Bad Wolf
- The Parting of the Ways
- Army of Ghosts
- Daleks in Manhattan
- Evolution of the Daleks
- The Stolen Earth
- Journey's End
- Victory of the Daleks
- Asylum of the Daleks
- The Day of the Doctor
- The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot (as a Dalek and as himself)
- The Time of the Doctor
- The Magician's Apprentice
- The Witch's Familiar
- The Sirens of Time – actor
- The Marian Conspiracy – actor
- The Spectre of Lanyon Moor – actor, writer, director
- The Holy Terror – director
- Storm Warning – actor
- Loups-Garoux – actor, director
- The One Doctor – actor
- Bang-Bang-a-Boom! – director
- Doctor Who and the Pirates – actor
- Shada – actor, director
- Robophobia – actor
Pegg has also contributed to the following Doctor Who DVD releases:
- The Reign of Terror – writer, "info text" subtitles
- The Krotons – script editor, Second Time Around documentary
- The Dæmons – script editor, Remembering Barry Letts documentary
- The Mutants – moderator on audio commentary
- Planet of the Spiders – writer, "info text" subtitles / script editor, The Final Curtain documentary
- Revenge of the Cybermen – writer, Cheques, Lies and Videotape documentary / writer, "info text" subtitles
- Terror of the Zygons – interviewer, Scotch Mist in Sussex documentary
- The Android Invasion – writer, "info text" subtitles / script editor, The Village that Came to Life documentary
- Underworld – script editor, Into the Unknown documentary
- The Ribos Operation – writer, A Matter of Time documentary
- The Armageddon Factor – interviewer, Defining Shadows documentary
- The Creature from the Pit – writer, "info text" subtitles
- Nightmare of Eden – writer, "info text" subtitles
- Shada – writer, "info text" subtitles
- State of Decay – writer, "info text" subtitles
- The Visitation (Special Edition) – writer, "info text" subtitles
- Resurrection of the Daleks (Special Edition) – script editor, Come in Number Five documentary / moderator on audio commentary
- The Happiness Patrol – writer, When Worlds Collide documentary
- "The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot", BBC programmes, retrieved 26 November 2013
- "Nicholas Pegg, playwright". Retrieved 12 April 2006.
- "Nicholas Pegg". Archived from the original on 21 February 2006. Retrieved 12 April 2006.