Pileggi in New York City, 2010
February 22, 1933 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Producer, author, screenwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Nora Ephron (1987–2012; her death)|
Susan (Defaslo) Pileggi
|Awards||Best Adapted Screenplay
Nicholas Pileggi (born February 22, 1933) is an American producer, author and screenwriter.
|This section requires expansion. (June 2012)|
Pileggi was born and raised in New York City, the son of Susan (Defaslo) and Nick Pileggi, a shoe store owner.
Pileggi began his career as a journalist and had a profound interest in the Mafia. He is best known for writing Wiseguy: Life in a Mafia Family (1986), which he adapted into the movie Goodfellas (1990), and for writing Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas and the subsequent screenplay for Casino (1995). The movie versions of both were co-written and directed by Martin Scorsese. Pileggi also wrote the screenplay for the fictional City Hall (1996), starring Al Pacino. He served as an Executive Producer of American Gangster (2007), a biographical crime film based on the criminal career of Frank Lucas, starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe, and directed by Ridley Scott. He is also the author of Blye, Private Eye (1987).
Pileggi cowrote the pilot of the CBS television series Vegas, which first aired in September 2012.
|This section does not cite any references (sources). (September 2015)|
Pileggi was married to fellow author, journalist, and screenwriter Nora Ephron from 1987 until her death in 2012. Pileggi lives in New York City.
Nicholas had a brother Frank who was married to Charlotte Moorman and lived on top of Video Oyster at 62 Pearl Street. Frank and Charlotte founded and ran the Annual Avant Garde Festival of New York.
|Year||Film||Role||Notes / Awards Won|
|1990||Goodfellas||Screenplay / Book||BAFTA – Best Screenplay – Adapted (1991) Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Screenplay|
|1994||Loyalty & Betrayal: The Story of the American Mob||Writer||–|
|1995||Casino||Screenplay / Book||–|
|1996||City Hall||Written By||–|
|2007||Kings of South Beach||Written By / Producer||–|
|2007||American Gangster||Executive Producer||–|
- Pileggi, Nicholas (1995). Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas (First ed.). Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0-684-80832-3.
- Pileggi, Nicholas (1985). Wiseguy: Life in a Mafia Family (First ed.). Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0-671-72322-7.
- "Nicholas Pileggi Biography", Film Reference
- Adams, Tim (February 2, 2013). "Nicholas Pileggi: the mob, Nora Ephron's death and Vegas". The Observer.
- Vlastelica, Ryan (September 18, 2015). "Goodfellas turned Wiseguy’s simple prose into cinematic gold". AV Club.
- Loyalty & Betrayal: The Story of the American Mob. 1994.
- Loynd, Ray (July 25, 1994). "'Loyalty and Betrayal': An Inside Look at the Mafia". Los Angeles Times.
- Nicholas Pileggi at the Internet Movie Database
- Entry at the NNDB
- Biography at Film Reference.com
- Fleeman, Mike, "Nora Ephron, Writer-Director of Sleepless in Seattle, Dies at Age 71", People magazine, Tuesday June 26, 2012