Nicholas Postgate (academic)
John Nicholas Postgate
5 November 1945
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
|Discipline||Ancient Near East|
|Institutions||SOAS, University of London |
University of Cambridge
Trinity College, Cambridge
British School of Archaeology in Iraq
John Nicholas Postgate, FBA (born 5 November 1945) is a British academic and Assyriologist. From 1975 to 1981, he was Director of the British School of Archaeology in Iraq. From 1994 to 2013, he was Professor of Assyriology at the University of Cambridge. He is a fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge.
Postgate was born on 5 November 1945. He is a member of the Postgate family. He was educated at Winchester College, a boys public school in Winchester, Hampshire, between 1959 and 1963. He was a Collegeman, meaning he was a recipient of a scholarship. He studied at Trinity College, Cambridge, and graduated from the University of Cambridge with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree.
Postgate began his academic career as an assistant lecturer in Akkadian at the SOAS, University of London from 1967 to 1971. He then returned to the University of Cambridge, his alma mater, as a fellow of Trinity College from 1970 to 1974. From 1972 to 1975, he was also deputy-director of the British School of Archaeology in Iraq. He was promoted in 1975, and served in the full-time role of Director from 1975 to 1981.
In 1982, he returned to the University of Cambridge and once more became a fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge. From 1982 to 1985, he was a university lecturer in the history and archaeology of the Ancient Near East. He was promoted to Reader in Mesopotamian studies in 1985. He was promoted to Professor of Assyriology in 1994.
Postgate retired from full-time academia in 2013.
- POSTGATE, Prof. (John) Nicholas. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (online edition via Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- "(John) Nicholas POSTGATE". People of Today. Debrett's. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "Ad Portas" (pdf). Winchester College. 14 May 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "POSTGATE, Professor Nicholas". British Academy Fellows. The British Academy. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Trinity Annual Record 2013" (pdf). Trinity College, Cambridge. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Teaching & Research Staff". Division of Archaeology. University of Cambridge. Retrieved 26 February 2014.