Nicholas P. Scutari
|Member of the New Jersey Senate|
from the 22nd Legislative District
|Assumed office |
January 13, 2004
|Preceded by||Joseph Suliga|
|Born||Newark, New Jersey|
|Residence||Linden, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||B.A. Kean University (Psychology)|
Ed.M. Rutgers University
J.D. Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
|Website||Legislative web page|
Scutari received a B.A. from Kean University in Psychology, an Ed.M. from Rutgers University in Education and a J.D. from the Western Michigan University Cooley Law School. He is an attorney, Law Offices of Nicholas P. Scutari.
Before his election the Senate, Scutari was a member of the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders, where he became the youngest Freeholder Chairman in county history. He served as Freeholder Chairman in 1999, after serving a year as Freeholder Vice Chairman. Prior to being a freeholder, he served as a member of the Board of Education in Linden.
Senator Scutari has served on the State Government Committee (as Chair), the Joint State Leasing and Space Utilization Committee, the Commerce Committee and the Judiciary Committee. He is a former Commissioner of the New Jersey Clean Elections Commission. He is also a former Vice Chairman of the Senate Education Committee. He now heads the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Senator Scutari was the chief sponsor of New Jersey's Medical Marijuana law that was signed into law in 2009 and has been an advocate for the effort to legalize marijuana for all individuals over the age of 21. After a bill he introduced failed in 2014, Scutari introduced a bill in May 2017 to legalize, regulate and tax recreational marijuana use; while then-Governor of New Jersey Chris Christie was vigorously opposed to the measure, incoming governor Phil Murphy had announced that he would support legalization.
In Italy his uncle Donato Scutari, a member of the Italian Communist Party, was elected Deputy and Senator of the Italian Republic. His uncle, Anthony Scutari, chairs the Union County Improvement Authority. 
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 15th District for the 2018-2019 Legislative Session are:
|Democratic||Nicholas Scutari (incumbent)||24,899||59.5|
|Republican||Robert M. Sherr||16,933||40.5|
|Democratic||Nicholas Scutari (incumbent)||16,104||61.6|
|Republican||Michael W. Class||10,024||38.4|
|Democratic||Nicholas Scutari (incumbent)||14,711||56.9|
- Senator Scutari's Legislative Website, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 14, 2008.
- via Associated Press. "Democrats allowed to substitute candidate -- Union state senator quit after his arrest", The Record (Bergen County), October 4, 2003. Accessed April 11, 2008. "Democratic leaders named Nicholas P. Scutari to replace Sen. Joseph Suliga, D-Union, who dropped out of the 22nd District election race last week to seek treatment for 'an alcohol-related problem.'"
- Perez-Pena, Richard. "New Jersey’s Medical Marijuana Law Loses Planned Grower and Dispensers", The New York Times, July 23, 2010. Accessed November 17, 2017. "State Senator Nicholas P. Scutari, a Democrat from Linden who was the other main sponsor, said that Mr. Christie wanted too much control over the program and that the state would have no choice but to approve private growers."
- Johnson, Brent. "Bill to legalize recreational marijuana in N.J. set to be unveiled", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, May 14, 2017. Accessed November 17, 2017. "A state lawmaker on Monday is scheduled to unveil the latest piece of legislation that would legalize, regulate, and tax recreational marijuana in New Jersey.... State Sen. Nicholas Scutari (D-Union) will formally announce the Democratic-sponsored measure at a noon news conference at the Statehouse in Trenton.... Scutari, who sponsored New Jersey's medical marijuana law, has been lobbying for the state to legalize recreational pot for years. He introduced a bill in 2014 to legalize and tax marijuana in the state, but it did not advance."
- Legislative Roster 2018-2019 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 17, 2018.
- District 22 Legislators, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 17, 2018.
- "Official List Candidates for State Senate For GENERAL ELECTION 11/05/2015 Election" (PDF). Secretary of State of New Jersey. December 4, 2013. Retrieved July 4, 2015.
- Official List Candidate Returns for State Senate For November 2011 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, December 14, 2011. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- Official List Candidate Returns for State Senate For November 2007 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, December 3, 2007. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- "Official List Candidates Returns for State Senate For November 2003 General Election" (PDF). Secretary of State of New Jersey. December 2, 2003. Retrieved July 4, 2015.
- Senator Scutari's legislative webpage, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
- Senator Nicholas P. Scutari, Project Vote Smart
|New Jersey Senate|
| Member of the New Jersey Senate for the 22nd District
January 13, 2004 – present
| Chairman of the Board of Chosen Freeholders of Union County, New Jersey