|Born||1966 (age 54–55)|
|Notable works||Poisoned Wells, Treasure Islands|
Nicholas Shaxson (born 1966) is a British author, journalist and investigator. He is best known for his investigative books Poisoned Wells (2007) and Treasure Islands (2011). He has worked as a part-time writer and researcher for the Tax Justice Network, an expert-led lobbying group focused on the harmful impacts of tax avoidance, tax competition and tax havens.
Shaxson was born in Malawi and educated in Britain. He has lived at various times in India, Brazil, England, Lesotho, Spain, Angola, South Africa, Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands. Since 1993 he has written on global business and politics for Vanity Fair, the Financial Times, Reuters, The Economist and its sister publication the Economist Intelligence Unit, International Affairs, Foreign Affairs, American Interest, the BBC, Africa Confidential, African Energy and others.
Awards and honours
- Shaxson, Nicholas (13 May 2008). Poisoned Wells: The Dirty Politics of African Oil. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-0-230-60532-9.
- Shaxson, Nicholas (6 January 2011). Treasure Islands: Tax Havens and the Men who Stole the World. Bodley Head. ISBN 978-1-84792-110-9.
- Shaxson, Nicholas (11 October 2018). The Finance Curse: How Global Finance Is Making Us All Poorer. Bodley Head. ISBN 978-1-84792-538-1.
- Shaxson, Nicholas (1 January 2014). Le isole del tesoro. Viaggio nei paradisi fiscali dove è nascosto il tesoro della globalizzazione. Feltrinelli. ISBN 978-8807883590.
- Shaxson, Nicholas (1 January 2014). Las islas del tesoro : los paraísos fiscales y los hombres que se robaron el mundo. Fondo de Cultura Económica. ISBN 978-9877190052.
- "Nicholas Shaxson". gresham.ac.uk.
- "Results for 'nicholas shaxson' [WorldCat.org]". worldcat.org.
- "Nicholas Shaxson".
- "Nicholas Shaxson". The Guardian.
- The Author: Nicholas Shaxson, treasureislands.org, 19 November 2010
- Shaxson, Nicholas, The truth about tax havens, The Guardian, 8 January 2011
- Shaxson, Nicholas (August 2016). "The Great Trump Tax Mysteries: Is He Hiding Loopholes, Errors, or Something MoreE Serious?". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "The notion that the City needs to shrink is gathering momentum". 11 October 2018 – via The Economist.
- "Nicholas Shaxson". 13 February 2018.
- Shaxson, Nicholas (19 March 2014). "The Much-Too-Special Relationship".
- How to Write About Tax Havens and the Super-Rich: An Interview with Nicholas Shaxson, blog.longreads.com, 12 February 2014
- Alison Flood (6 March 2012). "New prize for radical writing announces shortlist". Retrieved 2 May 2012.
- Treasure Islands's website
- Collected articles at The Guardian
- "The City of London and its Tax Haven Empire": presentation by Nicholas Shaxson and Maurice Glasman at the LSE, 1 February 2011. Shaxson begins speaking approximately 2 min into the recording, and jointly answers questions after the 54 min mark.