This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Occupation||Head of Single Seater Technical Matters at the FIA|
|Known for||Formula One car designer at Ferrari, McLaren, Benetton and Manor.|
Tombazis graduated with a degree in engineering in 1989 at the Trinity College in Cambridge, followed by a PhD in aeronautical engineering at the Imperial College London in 1992.
In November 1992 he became aerodynamicist at the Benetton Formula 1 team and was promoted to Head of Aerodynamics in 1994. Three years later he moved to the Scuderia Ferrari, where, in 1998, he became Head of Aerodynamics and CFD. In 2004 he went back to England, to work with McLaren, where he started working in a similar position and being promoted to Head of Planning.
In March 2006 he was back at Ferrari, this time as Chief Designer. He left Ferrari on 16 December 2014.
On 15 January 2016, the Manor Formula 1 team appointed Tombazis as its chief aerodynamicist.
Following the closure of Manor he set up his own consultancy, called MAA, and has been a visiting professor of aerodynamics for Imperial College London.
On 6 March 2018 it was announced that Tombazis has joined the FIA to become its 'head of single-seater technical matters'.
- 1992–1993: Benetton Formula aerodynamicist
- 1993–1995: Benetton Formula chief aerodynamicist
- 1997: Scuderia Ferrari aerodynamicist
- 1998–2003: Scuderia Ferrari chief aerodynamicist
- 2004: McLaren chief aerodynamicist
- 2005: McLaren project chief director
- 2006–2014: Scuderia Ferrari chief designer
- 2016-2017: Manor F1 Team chief aerodynamicist
- 2018-present: FIA Head of Single Seater Technical Matters
Tombazis lived in Castelnuovo Rangone (Modena) together with his wife and four children. Now he has moved to Greece. He is the son of one of the most important Greek architects, Alexandros Tombazis.
- "Fry and Tombazis exit amid Ferrari restructure". Formula One. 2014-12-16. Retrieved 2014-12-17.
- "Manor Racing". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Noble, Edd Straw and Jonathan. "Ex-Ferrari F1 design chief Tombazis takes on FIA single-seater role". Autosport.com. Retrieved 7 April 2019.
- Official formula1.com information about Nikolas Tombazis
- Scuderia Ferrari Official Site information about Nikolas Tombazis
- FerrariWorld Interview
- Grandprix.com information about Nikolas Tombazis
|This biographical article relating to sport in Greece is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to European auto racing is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Formula One biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|