Nick Abendanon playing for Bath against Leicester
|Full name||Nicholas Abendanon|
|Date of birth||27 August 1986|
|Place of birth||Bryanston, South Africa|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||87 kg (13 st 10 lb) |
|School||Beaudesert Park School
|Rugby union career|
|Position(s)||Fullback / wing|
|Current team||Clermont Auvergne|
|Position||Fullback / wing|
Nick Abendanon (born 27 August 1986, in Bryanston) is an English rugby union player, currently playing for Clermont Auvergne in the Top 14. Full-back Abendanon burst onto the scene during the 2006–07 season, scoring 10 tries in 24 first-team appearances for Bath.
His form that season earned him a first England cap in South Africa – the country of his birth – in June 2007. He was capped again against France in August 2007, but narrowly missed out on a place in England's 30-man squad. However, he did eventually travel to France as cover for the final after a Josh Lewsey injury.
A strong tackler, balanced runner and dangerous counter-attacker, he firmly established himself as Bath's first-choice full-back in the post-Matt Perry era.
Retaining his place in the squad, Abendanon was part of the England Saxons victory of the 2010 Churchill Cup and his impressive performances resulted in him being named Player of the Tournament.
Entering the 2010–11 season Abendanon continued his good form. Although he lost his place for a month to Jack Cuthbert due to a niggling injury which limited him to impact appearances of the bench, Abendanon was promoted to the England Elite squad as replacement for the banned Delon Armitage. This promotion put him in contention to feature during the 2011 Six Nations which some pundits believed he deserved for his improvement over the previous year.
- "Aviva Premiership Rugby - Bath Rugby". web page. Premier Rugby. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- Hooper, Andy (2007-10-15). "England call up Abendanon for World Cup final". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- Davidson, Dave (2011-01-25). "Bath's Nick Abendanon targets England call-up after joining elite squad". Somerset Guardian. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- Bradshaw, Tom (2011-01-27). "Bendy's on the straight and narrow". The Bath Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Former England fullback Nick Abendanon signs for Clermont Auvergne". ESPN scrum. 3 February 2014. Retrieved 10 December 2014.