|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Jacobus Nicolaas "Nick" Bierman
SSA SM CBE
13 February 1910|
|Died||8 June 1977
(aged 67) |
|Service/branch||South African Army|
|Years of service||1934-1967|
He served as Army Chief of Staff from 1958 to 1959,:89 as Inspector-General from 1959 to 1960,:89 as Director of Planning and Operations from 1960 to 1965,:89 and as General Officer Commanding Joint Combat Forces (GOCJCF), co-ordinating Army and Air Force operations and training, from 1965 to 1967. As GOCJCF, he was the third-highest-ranking officer in the South African Defence Force's Supreme Command.
Awards and Decorations
In 1945 then Brigadier Bierman was made Commander of the Order of the British Empire. The notice in the London Gazette reads as follows:
The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following promotions in, and appointments to, the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Italy:
To be Additional Commanders of the Military Division of the said Most Excellent Order:
Brigadier (temporary) Jacobus Nicolas Bierman (105970V), South African Forces.
- Star of South Africa (SSA)
- Southern Cross Medal (SM)
- Bronze Star Medal (USA)
- Africa Service Medal (WWII)
- Uys, Ian (1992). South African Military Who's Who 1452-1992. Fortress Publishers. p. 19. ISBN 0-9583173-3-X.
- Nöthling, C.J.; Meyers, E.M. (1982). "LEIERS DEUR DIE JARE (1912-1982)" (Online). Scientia Militaria - South African Journal of Military Studies (in Afrikaans). 12 (2): 89–98. ISSN 2224-0020. doi:10.5787/12-2-631. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "No. 37039". The London Gazette (Supplement). April 1945. p. 2067.
- "No. 38459". The London Gazette (Supplement). November 1948. p. 6060.
|Chief of the South African Army
1958 – 1959
Brig Jock B. Kriegler
|OC Western Transvaal Command
1950 – 1953
Col GN Nauhaus
Lt Col Frank Harpur
|OC 4 Field Regiment
1945 – 1947
Lt Col GP Jacobs
|This biographical article related to the South African military is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|