Nick Carter (musician)
Nick Carter performing at iPlay America in Freehold, NJ in March 2016
|Birth name||Nickolas Gene Carter|
January 28, 1980 |
Jamestown, New York, United States
|Origin||Ruskin, Florida, United States|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, drums|
Nickolas Gene "Nick" Carter (born January 28, 1980) is an American singer. He is best known as a member of the pop group the Backstreet Boys. As of 2015 Carter has released three solo albums, Now Or Never, I'm Taking Off and All American during breaks between Backstreet Boys schedules, and a collaboration with Jordan Knight titled Nick & Knight. He has made occasional television appearances and starred in his own reality shows, House of Carters and I (Heart) Nick Carter. He gained fame in the mid 1990s and early 2000s as a teen idol. He is also the older and only brother of singer Aaron Carter.
Nickolas Gene Carter was born in Jamestown, New York, where his parents, Jane Elizabeth (née Spaulding) and Robert Gene Carter, owned a bar called the Yankee Rebel. Several years later, the family moved to Ruskin, Florida and managed the Garden Villa Retirement Home, where they added to the family. Carter's siblings are Bobbie Jean, Leslie (June 6, 1986 – January 31, 2012), and twins Aaron and Angel (born December 7, 1987).
Carter's father has a daughter, Ginger Carter (born 1972), from a previous marriage. His parents divorced in 2003. His father remarried to Ginger R. Elrod (born December 5, 1974) in 2004, and had a son, Kaden Brent, in June 2005.
Carter began auditioning for acting roles in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and appeared in many commercials. He also made an appearance in the 1990 Johnny Depp film Edward Scissorhands as a child playing on a slip and slide. Carter covered a number of songs made popular by other artists in the late 1980s including "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" and "Uptown Girl". Some of these early recordings were released in 2002 on the CD titled Before the Backstreet Boys 1989–1993 by Dyenamic Discs, Inc.
At only 12 years old, Carter, A. J. McLean, Brian Littrell, Howie Dorough, and Kevin Richardson formed the pop group Backstreet Boys on April 20, 1993. Nick is the youngest member. The group has recorded several albums, beginning in the mid-1990s, the latest being 2013's In a World Like This. The guys are currently working on their 9th studio album, and plan to have the CD done by the fall of 2016, with a world tour to follow.
In 2002, when the Backstreet Boys expressed a strong desire to leave their management company, The Firm, Carter chose to remain with them to manage his solo career. As the group began recording their new album without him, he started working on his first solo album. Now Or Never was released on October 29, 2002, and it reached No. 17 on the Billboard 200 chart and was certified gold, both in the United States and Canada. The lead single, "Help Me" achieved considerable worldwide success while the other single, "I Got You" was a minor hit in Europe. The album made the charts in many countries as well. He also launched a worldwide tour in support of the album. He was No. 9 of People Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People" in 2000 and Cosmogirl magazine's "Sexiest Man in the World" in 2002, beating out such competition as actor Brad Pitt and rival pop star Justin Timberlake for the title, launching a media-hyped "rivalry" between Timberlake and Carter, culminating in an amicable 2009 meeting off camera on the set of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon where Carter defeated Timberlake in an arm wrestling match "Man of the Moment".
Nick began work on his second solo album in 2003, but the recordings were aborted when the Backstreet Boys returned to the studio. One of the tracks from the earlier recording sessions was used as the theme song to the television series House of Carters in 2006. "Let It Go" was written by Nick Carter, Matthew Gerrard, and Bridget Louise Benenate.
Carter recorded a duet with pop singer Jennifer Paige called "Beautiful Lie" in 2009. In 2010, Nick Carter started recording new songs for his second solo album, working with Rami Yacoub, Carl Falk, Toby Gad, Josh Hoge, Claude Kelly, among many others. Carter's new album titled I'm Taking Off, was released on February 2, 2011 in Japan, in Germany on June 3, 2011 and in the USA via iTunes on May 24. As of June 2011, Nick's second solo album reached No. 8 in Japan, selling over 20,000 copies.
In 2014, Carter recorded a duet album with Jordan Knight from fellow boy band, New Kids On The Block, titled Nick & Knight which debuted at #24 on the US Billboard 200 and #14 in Canada. The tour to support the album ran through September–November of 2014.
On September 22, 2015, Nick Carter released the first single from his new album, entitled "I Will Wait" on Vevo.  The new CD, All American, was released on November 25, 2015.  In support of the album, Carter toured in February and March of 2016.
Carter and his siblings starred in a reality television show, House of Carters, which premiered on October 2, 2006 on E!. The series features all five Carter siblings reuniting to live in the same house, as well as in-depth moments of their ups and downs.
He made two appearances on the TV show 8 Simple Rules, and also appeared on American Dreams. In 2007, Carter filmed the independent movie Fast Glass with Brandon Quinn, Andrew Keegan, Natalia Cigliuti, Greg Grunberg, and Reno Wilson. It was originally scheduled for release in 2008, but was released as direct-to-video movie in 2010. In 2012, he made a guest appearance on 90210. Carter made his motion picture debut in 2013, appearing in the comedy This Is the End along with the rest of the Backstreet Boys.
In 2014, Carter and his then fiancee, Lauren Kitt, starred in their own VH1 reality show, I Heart Nick Carter, which centered around the planning of their April 2014 wedding.
At Comic-Con 2015 in San Diego, Carter revealed his plans to film a movie that he had written, and would be directing and starring in. Entitled Dead 7, the film focuses on a ragtag band of gunslingers operating during a post-apocalyptic zombie plague. The film also stars Carter's wife, Lauren, and his band mates Howie Dorough and AJ McLean. In addition NSYNC's Joey Fatone, O-Town's Erik-Michael Estrada, Jacob Underwood and Trevor Penick, and 98 Degrees' Jeff Timmons will also star in the movie. The movie started filming in August 2015, and will be shown on the Sci Fi channel around April of 2016.
Dancing with the Stars
On August 26, 2015, it was revealed that Carter will be taking part in the 21st season of Dancing with the Stars. He was paired with professional dancer Sharna Burgess. Carter and Burgess made the finals of the show and came in second place, behind Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough.
|Week #||Dance/Song||Judges' score||Result|
|1||Cha-cha-cha / "I Don't Like It, I Love It"||8||8||8||No Elimination|
|2||Jive / "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"
Foxtrot / "Coming Home, Pt. II"
|3||Viennese Waltz / "Did I Make the Most of Loving You?"||9||91 / 9||9||Safe|
|4||Jazz / "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)"||9||9||9||Safe|
|52||Paso doble / "Don't Look Down"||9||9/83||9||No Elimination|
|6||Samba / "You Should Be Dancing"||9||10/104||10||Safe|
|7||Argentine tango / "Bring Me to Life"
Team Freestyle / "This Is Halloween"
|8||Contemporary / "Can't Help Falling in Love"||10||10||10||Safe
|9||Quickstep / "A Cool Cat in Town"
Team-Up Dance (Rumba) / "Hey Jude"
|Tango / "Scars"
Samba Dance-off / "Lean On"
Trio Salsa / "No Doubt About It"
|Last to be called safe|
|Jive / "Runaway Baby"
Freestyle / "Larger than Life"
Salsa & Tango Fusion / "Turn Up the Music"
|1 Score given by guest judge Alfonso Ribeiro.
2 For this week only, as part of "Partner Switch-Up" week, Carter did not dance with Burgess, and instead danced with Witney Carson. Burgess danced with Andy Grammer.
3 Score given by guest judge Maksim Chmerkovskiy.
4 Score given by guest judge Olivia Newton-John.
Carter was announced as the new United Nations Special Ambassador for the Year of the Dolphin (YoD) on May 17, 2007, representing the United Nations Environment Programme, the Convention on Migratory Species, and the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society. He was to record a new song and video with all proceeds going to this project, make a public service announcement and appear at local schools. Carter has stated that he has a passion for the environment and its oceans. He has worked with the United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP) and the Coral Reef Action Network (ICRAN). He also has lobbied for these causes at Capitol Hill.
Carter, who previously dated singer Willa Ford from 1998 to 2000, and hotel heiress Paris Hilton from 2003 to 2004, proposed to his long term girlfriend, Lauren Kitt, a fitness expert/trainer, WBFF Fitness Competitor and actress, whom he met through his brother and sister, on February 23, 2013, in Florida. They were married on April 12, 2014, in Santa Barbara, California. On October 27, 2015, it was revealed by multiple sources that Nick and Lauren are expecting their first child together. On November 2, the couple found out live on Dancing with the Stars that they are expecting a baby boy. The couple also revealed that they were expecting a child earlier in the year, but suffered a miscarriage. On April 19, 2016, Kitt gave birth to a son, Odin Reign, after 30 hours of labour.
On January 13, 2016, Carter was arrested in Key West, Florida and booked on misdemeanor battery after he was denied entry to a bar due to "high levels of intoxication".
Carter has acknowledged ongoing struggles with drugs and alcohol abuse. He says that he became sober after being diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and realized that he could die if he did not make major lifestyle changes. The singer credits fellow Backstreet Boys member Kevin Richardson for helping him turn his life around by giving him Norman Vincent Peale's book Why Some Positive Thinkers Get Powerful Results. After reading that book he started a healthier lifestyle, saying "Working out definitely helped my self esteem, and it helped to kind of push it all aside. I just started replacing drinking and the parties... with healthier things like sports, video games."
In 2013, he published his first book titled Facing the Music And Living To Talk About It.
- Nick & Knight (2014)
Awards and nominations
|TV series & Movies|
|1998||Sabrina The Teenage Witch||Himself||Episode: "Battle of the bands"|
|1998–1999||Saturday Night Live||Himself and Musical guest||"Julianne Moore/Backstreet Boys" (Season 23: episode 16)
"Sarah Michelle Gellar/Backstreet Boys" (Season 24: episode 19)
|2002||American Dreams||Jay Black||Episode: "Soldier Boy"|
|2002||Arthur||Himself||Episode: "Arthur, It's Only Rock and Roll" Guest Voice|
|2002||All That||Himself||Sketch Performance|
|2002||Sesame Street||Himself||appeared with Aaron Carter|
|2003||8 Simple Rules||Ben Hatcher||Season 1: Episodes 17 and 18|
|2004||The Hollow||Brody||ABC TV Movie|
|2005||The Ellen Degeneres Show||Himself||Musical Guest With The Backstreet Boys|
|2006||House of Carters||Himself||Reality show|
|2010||The Pendant||Barrett||Actor and director|
|2011||Dr. Phil||Himself||Interview and a performance of "Burning Up"|
|2012||Late Night with Jimmy Fallon||Himself||Musical Guest with Backstreet Boys|
|2013||This Is the End||Nick Carter||With the Backstreet Boys, performing "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)"|
|2014||I (Heart) Nick Carter||Himself||Main cast|
|2015||Dancing with the Stars||Himself||Contestant on season 21|
|2016||Dead 7||Jack||Actor and writer|
- "Backstreet Bahama Boys". CBS News. May 16, 2000. Archived from the original on July 10, 2015. Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- Netter, Matt (January 1999). Backstreet Boys * Aaron Carter. New York: Pocket Books. p. 38. ISBN 0-671-03539-8.
- Sarah Fitzmaurice (February 1, 2012). "Leslie Carter, sister of singers Nick and Aaron, dies aged 25". Daily Mail. UK. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Laudadio, Marisa (February 16, 2009). "Nick Carter Gets Buff". People.
- Netter, Matt (January 1999). Backstreet Boys * Aaron Charles Carter. New York: Pocket Books. p. 8. ISBN 0-671-03539-8.
- "Carter Family Attorney Speaks to Frivolous Lawsuit Filed Against Bobby Jean Carter Also Naming Robert & Nick Carter". Scott Alan Salomon, Esq., press release via PR Newswire. July 22, 2005. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- Barnes, Corey (January 1999). Backstreet Brother: Aaron Carter. New York: Random House. p. 4. ISBN 0-375-80193-6.
- "Chautauqua County Office of the Sheriff Incident Report". via ABC News. January 31, 2012. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "'Hollow' Man". EntertainmentWeekly. May 20, 2003. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- "Watch Greatest Hits TV Show". ABC. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- Strauss, Neil (August 18, 2002). "MUSIC; The Lost Boys: How a Pop Sensation Came Undone". New York Times. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "Carters return". The Quad. October 9, 2006. Retrieved June 27, 2012.
- "ACE Title Search: 'Let It Go', Work ID: 421317471". ASCAP. Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- "Was tired of making you all wait, here's the official video for my upcoming song 'I Will Wait'. Watch it now on Vevo.".
- "Album Update: “I Will Wait” – COMING SOON!".
- "ShowBuzz". Nick And Aaron Carter Get Real. July 12, 2006. Retrieved July 13, 2006.
- "Nick Carter Fast Glass". Movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved June 8, 2012.
- "i heart nick carter News and Photos". Perez Hilton. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- Barton, Steve (2015-08-20). "First Images from Dead 7 Feature the Backstreet Boys in the Wild West". Dread Central. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- Meilan, Ingrid (August 26, 2015). "Nick Carter Joins Dancing With the Stars Season 21 Cast: "I'm Excited!"". US Magazine. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- "Dancing with the Stars Season 21 Cast Announcement". ABC. September 2, 2015. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "Nick Carter charity work". Newswise.com. May 16, 2007. Retrieved June 8, 2012.
- "Bio". Nick Carter. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- "Nick Carter Engaged to Lauren Kitt: See the Proposal and Huge Engagement Ring!". Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Levy, Rachel (April 13, 2014). "As Long As You Love Me! Backstreet Boys star Nick Carter marries Lauren Kitt... but younger brother Aaron doesn't make it". Mail Online. Retrieved April 13, 2014.
- Allison Takeda (2015-10-27). "Nick Carter's Wife Lauren Kitt Is Pregnant! - Us Weekly". Usmagazine.com. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- Anya Leon (April 20, 2016). "Nick Carter Welcomes Son Odin Reign". People!. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- Katz, Jessie (January 14, 2016). "Backstreet Boys' Nick Carter Arrested After Florida Bar Fight". Billboard (United States). Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Laudadio, Marisa (2015-09-28). "Nick Carter: Alcohol & Drugs Almost Killed Me - Health, Nick Carter". People.com. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- "Nick Carter Opens Up To Dr. Phil About His Drug Abuse And Recovery (VIDEO)". Huffington Post. January 13, 2012. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- "Nick Carter Opens Up About "Excessive" Drug, Alcohol Use". February 19, 2009. Archived from the original on March 10, 2009. Retrieved June 27, 2012.
- "Nick Carter: I Made Excuses Just to Party". People. Retrieved June 27, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nick Carter.|