This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Castle in 2015
|Born||Nicholas Charles Castle|
September 21, 1947
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, actor|
Nicholas Charles Castle (born September 21, 1947) is an American screenwriter, film director and actor known for his role as Michael Myers in Halloween, directed by John Carpenter. Castle also co-wrote Escape from New York with Carpenter.
Castle was born in Kingsport, Tennessee, the son of Millie and Charles Edward Castle, who was an actor and top choreographer for motion pictures, television, and the stage, and was nominated for an Emmy. As a child, Nick Castle often appeared as an extra or in bit roles in his father's films. He studied film at USC, where he served as cinematographer for the Academy Award-winning live-action short film The Resurrection of Broncho Billy.
Castle's film credits include Dark Star where he played the beach ball alien, Major Payne, Dennis the Menace, The Last Starfighter, and Connors' War as a director. He wrote the screenplays for the films Escape from New York and Hook. He was the writer and director of the film Tap. Castle played Michael Myers in the 1978 horror film Halloween, directed by former USC classmate John Carpenter, and was paid $25 a day. Castle's subsequent collaborations with Carpenter included his name being used as one of the main characters' names in The Fog, co-writing the script of Escape From New York, and performing the title song of Big Trouble in Little China as part of the band The Coup De Villes, alongside Carpenter and another friend, Tommy Lee Wallace.
Castle wrote August Rush, a musical-drama directed by Kirsten Sheridan and starring Freddie Highmore, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Robin Williams, and Keri Russell, which was released in 2007. He also stars as himself in the 2010 documentary Halloween: The Inside Story by Filipino filmmaker Nick Noble.
In 2018, Castle reprised his role as Michael Myers in the direct sequel, Halloween. While stunt performer James Jude Courtney was involved in every scene featuring Myers, including those of Nick Castle, who was only involved for a minimal amount of filming, which Castle described to the journalists on set as a cameo appearance, Castle reprises his role in one scene with Jamie Lee Curtis and did all of Michael Myers' breathing sounds in post-production. Courtney referred to collaborating with Castle as an "honor", while Castle described it as a "passing of the torch".
Castle won a Saturn Award for Best Writing for The Boy Who Could Fly, a Silver Raven (for Delivering Milo), a Grand Prize (for The Last Starfighter), a Bronze Gryphon, and a Gold Medal of the Regional Council.
|1970||The Resurrection of Broncho Billy||Story||Also cinematographer, short|
|1981||Escape from New York||Yes|
|1982||Tag: The Assassination Game||Yes||Yes|
|1984||The Last Starfighter||Yes|
|1986||The Boy Who Could Fly||Yes||Yes|
|1993||Dennis the Menace||Yes|
|2004||The Seat Filler||Yes|
|1974||Dark Star||Beach Ball Alien||Also camera assistant|
|1978||Halloween (1978)||The Shape (Michael Myers)|
|1981||Escape from New York||Pianist|
|1986||The Boy Who Could Fly||The Coupe De Villes|
|2018||Halloween (2018)||The Shape (Michael Myers)||Cameo|
|1987||Amazing Stories||Yes||TV Series, episode: "The 21-Inch Sun"|
|1988||Mama's Family||Concept||TV Series, concept for episode "Mama's Girls"|
|1990||Shangri-La Plaza||Yes||Yes||Executive||Also composer, TV Movie|
|2001||Twas the Night||Yes||TV Movie|
- JimmyO (October 25, 2013). "Where In The Horror Are The Now? Nick Castle!". JoBlo.com.
- "Nick Castle". The New York Times. Archived from the original on May 8, 2008.
- Canby, Vincent (1981-07-10). "'Escape From New York'". The New York Times.
- Barton, Steve (September 7, 2012). "Go Inside The House at the End of the Street and Find a New Featurette". Dread Central.
- Keene, Allison (December 20, 2017). "The 'Halloween' Reboot Will Bring Back the Original Michael Myers Actor". Collider.
- Miska, Brad (2017-12-20). "Original Shape Actor Playing Michael Myers in 'Halloween' 2018! [Exclusive]". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- Artz, Matt. "[Interview] Nick Castle Talks Reprising Michael Myers in 'Halloween' 2018". HalloweenDailyNews. Archived from the original on 22 February 2018. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- Evanson, Landon (September 24, 2018). "BIG GAME JAMES: A 'HALLOWEEN' INTERVIEW WITH JAMES JUDE COURTNEY". Horror Geek Life. Retrieved November 1, 2018.