September 1, 1981 |
Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
|Other names||The Jersey Devil|
|Residence||Brick Township, New Jersey, United States|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||185.5 lb (84.1 kg; 13.25 st)|
|Reach||72.5 in (184 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Brick Township, New Jersey, United States|
|Team||Nick Catone MMA Academy|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Ricardo Almeida|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestler|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts career
Catone began wrestling in middle school. Catone stayed with the sport all through his middle and high school years. While at Brick Memorial High School in Brick Township, New Jersey, Catone won numerous awards and titles in wrestling. He was a New Jersey State place winner, Three-time Division I national qualifier, 2x Division I conference champion and 100 Division I career wins. He was rewarded with a scholarship to wrestle for Rutgers University but did not like the lifestyle of a large college. After spending a year at Rutgers, Catone transferred to Rider University where he won Male Athlete of the Year in 2004. Catone graduated from Rider with a bachelor's degree in psychology.
Early mixed martial arts career
After college, Catone realized that he did not want to give up the sport of wrestling. So he found a mixed martial arts training facility in 2005 and started working very hard on his boxing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu skills to become a successful professional mixed martial artist.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Catone's first UFC fight was scheduled to be against TUF 7 winner Amir Sadollah at UFC 91. However, due to a leg infection, Sadollah withdrew from the match. A replacement for Sadollah could not be found so the match was scrapped from the card. The match against Sadollah was rescheduled for February 7, 2009 at UFC Fight Night 17. On January 23, Sadollah was, again, forced to withdraw from the fight due, this time to a fractured clavicle.
Catone finally made his UFC debut, defeating Derek Downey via keylock in the second round at UFC Fight Night: Lauzon vs. Stephens.
Catone's second fight for the UFC, he fought Tim Credeur at UFC Fight Night 18. Catone lost for the first time in his career by submission due to a guillotine choke in the second round. The fight later went on to be shown on an episode of UFC Unleashed.
At UFC 102, Catone took his second consecutive loss against Mark Muñoz. The fight was full of intense sprawls and exciting stand up battles. Catone lost the fight by a very close split decision (28-29, 30-27 and 29-28). Despite the loss, Catone signed a new four fight deal with the promotion.
Catone was originally scheduled to face Steve Steinbeiss at UFC Fight Night 20. However, Steinbess pulled out of the fight because of an undisclosed injury and was replaced by Jesse Forbes. Catone returned to his winning ways by defeating Forbes via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28).
After suffering two injuries, Catone was expected to drop down to the welterweight division. Instead, he was expected face Tomasz Drwal on September 15, 2010 at UFC Fight Night 22. However, Catone withdrew from the fight against Drwal due to injury.
Catone was expected to face Dan Miller on March 19, 2011 at UFC 128 in a catchweight bout of 195 lbs. However, Miller was pulled from the bout to fill in for Yoshihiro Akiyama against Nate Marquardt and was replaced by UFC newcomer Costas Philippou. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Catone faced Chris Camozzi on June 22, 2012 at UFC on FX 4. Catone was up the first two rounds on the scorecards until a knee by Camozzi caused a large cut on the forehead of Catone, resulting in a doctor stoppage in the third round.
Catone made his welterweight debut against TJ Waldburger on December 15, 2012 at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson Finale. He lost the fight via technical submission in the second round after he passed out in Waldburger's triangle choke.
Catone was expected to face James Head on April 27, 2013 at UFC 159. However, at the weigh ins Catone missed weight and the bout was subsequently pulled from the card the day of the show after Catone went to the hospital for dehydration.
Catone was expected to face Vitor Miranda on April 18, 2015 at UFC on Fox 15. However, Catone abruptly announced his retirement on March 25, citing a litany of injuries and a history of chronic back pain.
Championships and accomplishments
- United States Kickboxing Association
- USKBA Middleweight Championship (one time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|14 matches||10 wins||4 losses|
|Win||10–4||Tom Watson||Decision (split)||UFC 169||February 1, 2014||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States||Middleweight bout.|
|Loss||9–4||TJ Waldburger||Technical Submission (triangle choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale||December 15, 2012||2||1:04||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Welterweight debut.|
|Loss||9–3||Chris Camozzi||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||June 22, 2012||3||1:51||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||9–2||Costas Philippou||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 128||March 19, 2011||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States||195 lb Catchweight bout|
|Win||8–2||Jesse Forbes||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Maynard vs. Diaz||January 11, 2010||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||7–2||Mark Muñoz||Decision (split)||UFC 102||August 29, 2009||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Loss||7–1||Tim Credeur||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann||April 1, 2009||2||3:45||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||7–0||Derek Downey||Submission (keylock)||UFC Fight Night: Lauzon vs. Stephens||February 7, 2009||2||1:15||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–0||Eric Tavares||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 20||June 26, 2008||1||4:25||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||5–0||Mitch Whitesel||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 19||May 9, 2008||1||2:27||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won the vacant USKBA Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Ben Knight||TKO (elbows)||Ring of Combat 17||November 30, 2007||1||1:08||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||3–0||Dan Whalen||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Ring of Combat 16||October 26, 2007||1||0:58||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||2–0||John Howard||Decision (unanimous)||CFFC 5: Two Worlds, One Cage||June 26, 2007||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||1–0||Dan Karnbauer||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Reality Fighting 15||May 19, 2007||1||1:23||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
- "Nick Catone - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved February 1, 2014.
- "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Nick Catone's Mixed Martial Arts & Fitness Academy". Retrieved February 1, 2014.
- Christopher, Chris. "Unstoppable force: Catone set to make UFC debut", Asbury Park Press, October 16, 2008. Accessed June 9, 2011. "The former Brick Memorial and Rider University wrestling standout has signed a four-fight contract and will make his debut in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, a mixed martial arts event, in Las Vegas on Nov. 15."
- Gerbasi, Thomas (2008-11-11). "Leg Infection Forces Sadollah from UFC 91 Card". UFC.com. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- Martin, Damon (2008-11-24). "SADOLLAH VS CATONE REBOOKED FOR FEBRUARY 7". Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- Martin, Damon (2008-01-23). "AMIR SADOLLAH INJURED, OFF UFC FIGHT NIGHT FEB 7". Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- "Nick Catone: I'm fighting Steve Steinbeiss at UFC Fight Night 20 in January". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-11-03.
- "Jesse Forbes returns to UFC, meets Nick Catone at UFC Fight Night 20". mmajunkie.com. December 30, 2009.
- "Nick Catone vs. Tomasz Drwal in the works for UFC Fight Night 22 in Texas". mmajunkie.com. 2010-07-07.
- "Nick Catone vs. Dan Miller on tap for UFC 128 in New Jersey". mmajunkie.com. 2011-01-05.
- "Nick Catone now meets Costa Philippou in UFC 128 catchweight fight". mmajunkie.com. March 12, 2011.
- "Nick Catone vs. Aaron Simpson added to October's UFC 136 event". mmajunkie.com. 2011-07-18.
- Becker, Dana (September 8, 2011). "Nick Catone Out Of UFC 136 Fight With Aaron Simpson". FightLine.com. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- "Eric Schafer returns to UFC, meets Aaron Simpson at UFC 136". mmajunkie.com. September 10, 2011. Retrieved September 10, 2011.
- Myers, Thomas (March 20, 2012). "UFC on FX 4: Nick Catone vs Chris Camozzi bout in the works for N.J. fight card". MMAMania.com. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- "Nick Catone vs. TJ Waldburger On Tap for Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale". MMAWeekly.com. September 30, 2012. Retrieved September 30, 2012.
- John Morgan (January 30, 2013). "Nick Catone vs. James Head added to April's UFC 159 event". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved January 30, 2012.
- Staff (2013-04-27). "Nick Catone vs. James Head pulled from tonight's UFC 159 lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- Matt Erickson (December 5, 2013). "Nick Catone vs. Tom Watson booked for UFC 169 on Super Bowl weekend". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Staff (2015-01-29). "Nick Catone vs. Vitor Miranda added to UFC on FOX 15 lineup in Newark". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-03-25). "Nick Catone retiring after six years in the UFC due to lingering injuries". mmafighting.com.