|Birth name||Nicholas Charles Dempsey|
13 August 1980 |
|Height||1.80 m (5.9 ft)|
|Weight||70 kg (154 lb)|
|Event(s)||Men's RS:X class|
|Coached by||Dom Tidey|
Nicholas Charles "Nick" Dempsey (born 13 August 1980 in Norwich) is a British windsurfer, who lives in Weymouth. He became the first man to win three Olympics medals in windsurfing when he won silver in the 2016 Rio Olympics, adding to a silver won in the 2012 London Olympics, and a bronze from the 2004 Athens Olympics. He is also twice world champion, winning gold in 2009 and 2013, the first man to win two windsurfing world titles.
Dempsey booked his first international success at the 1998 Mistral Youth World Championships, where he won the bronze medal. As a senior his first win was clinched at the North Sea Cup Series in Pevensey Bay, and an additional third place in the Kieler Woche.
During the 2000 Summer Olympics he finished in 16th position. He continued winning competitions in 2001 and beyond like Athens Eurolymp Week, Kieler Woche and the SPA Regatta before finishing third at the 2004 Summer Olympics to take the windsurfing bronze medal.
When switching to the RS:X class he won race after race, resulting in the first spot on the RS:X world rankings. He took the gold medal at the 2006 RS:X European Championships. At the 2006 RS:X World Championships he finished in 5th position.
In the 2016 Summer Olympics, Dempsey again won the silver in the RS:X Class, again behind van Rijsselberge. With three medals won in the Olympics, he became the most decorated men's Olympic windsurfer.
Dempsey married yachtswoman Sarah Ayton in October 2008 just two months after she won a gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. In June 2009, they had a son, Thomas-Flynn, and another son Oscar in March 2012. The couple broke up in late 2012. Dempsey has an interest in photography.
|2016||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||2016 Olympic Games - Men's sailboard|
|2015||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||2015 Sailing World Cup Weymouth and Portland|
|2013||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||2013 RS:X World Windsurfing Championships Buzios|
|2012||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||2012 Olympic Games - Men's sailboard|
|2009||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||2009 RS:X World Windsurfing Championships Weymouth and Portland|
|2008||4.||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||2008 Olympic Games - Men's sailboard|
|2006||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||2006 RS:X European Championships|
|2006||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||Holland Regatta|
|2006||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||Semaine Olympique Française|
|2006||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||HRH Princess Sofia Trophy|
|2006||RS:X - Men's Windsurfer||Rolex Miami OCR|
|2004||Mistral - Men||2004 Summer Olympics|
|2003||Mistral - Men||Saronikos Gulf Regatta|
|2003||Mistral - Men||XXXIV Princess Sofia Trophy|
|2003||Mistral - Men||Athens Eurolymp Week|
|2002||Mistral - Men||Kieler Woche|
|2002||Mistral - Men||North Sea Cup Series - Herne Bay|
|2002||Mistral - Men||SPA Regatta|
|2002||Mistral - Men||Sail Auckland|
|2002||Mistral - Men||Sail Melbourne|
|2001||Mistral - Men||Kieler Woche|
|2001||Mistral - Men||XXXII Princess Sofia Trophy|
|2001||Mistral - Men||Athens Eurolymp Week|
|2000||16.||Mistral - Men||2000 Summer Olympics|
|2000||Mistral - Men||Kieler Woche|
|2000||Mistral - Men||North Sea Cup Series - Pevensey Bay|
|2000||Mistral - Men||Penta Mistral Cup|
|1998||Mistral - Men||1998 Mistral World Youth Championship|
- "Sailor Biography: Nick Dempsey". World Sailing.
- "Nick Dempsey - Windsurfing". Olympics 30.
- "Nick Dempsey". BBC Sport.
- GRO reference: September 1980, Vol. 10, Page 59389/S
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Nick Dempsey wins historic windsurfing silver medal in RS:X". BBC Sport. 15 August 2016.
- "Nick Dempsey". RYA.
- "Nick Dempsey is first man to win two windsurfing world titles". BBC Sport. 6 March 2013.
- Morris, Steven (7 August 2012). "London 2012: Great Britain's Nick Dempsey wins windsurfing silver medal". The Guardian. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Nick Dempsey brings windsurfing career to an end with silver medal at Rio Olympics 2016". The Daily Telegraph. 14 August 2016.
- Kidd, Patrick (8 August 2012). "Sacrifice that brought a family silver". The Times.
- Hall, Melanie (29 May 2013). "UK Olympic medallist leaves wife for woman who replaced her in Team GB". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Nick Dempsey guaranteed windsurfing silver". BBC Sport. 12 August 2016.
- "2013 RS:X WORLD WINDSURFING CHAMPIONSHIPS" (PDF). International RS:X Class Association.