October 24, 1995 |
Nicholas Gordon (born October 24, 1995) is an American professional baseball shortstop in the Minnesota Twins organization. He was drafted by the Twins in the first round of the 2014 Major League Baseball Draft.
High School Career
Gordon attended Olympia High School in Orlando, Florida. As a junior in 2013, he was the Florida Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year. He hit .505 with two home runs and 30 runs batted in as a batter and as a pitcher he was 5–1 with a 0.78 earned run average (ERA), 44 strikeouts and five saves in 35 2⁄3 innings pitched. As a senior, he batted .512 with 6 home runs and 28 RBIs in 28 games, leading his team to the Class 8A regional semifinals. He signed a letter of intent to play baseball at Florida State University.
Gordon was considered one of the top prospects for the 2014 Major League Baseball Draft. He was selected as the fifth overall pick in the first round by the Minnesota Twins. He signed with the Twins on June 9, receiving a $3,851,000 signing bonus.
- "Olympia's Nick Gordon selected Gatorade Player of the Year". Orlandosentinel.com. May 29, 2013. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Law, Keith. "Nick Gordon the draft's top SS prospect". Insider.espn.go.com. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Mayo, Jonathan. "Pipeline Perspectives: Gordon fits for Cubs at No. 4". Chicago.cubs.mlb.com. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "In a flash, Twins tab prep shortstop Gordon at No. 5". Minnesota.twins.mlb.com. March 27, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "Twins sign first-round pick Gordon". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Mayo, Jonathan. "Gordon following in footsteps of dad, brother". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "Nick Gordon set to join father, Tom, and brother, Dee, as a pro". Philly.com. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "Nightengale: MLB draft highlights Gordon". Usatoday.com. June 5, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Ultimate Athlete Profile: Nick Gordon