Grinde in 1928
|Died||June 19, 1979 (aged 86)|
Born Harry A. Grinde in Madison, Wisconsin but nicknamed "Nick," Grinde graduated from the University of Wisconsin. He later moved to New York and worked in Vaudeville. Grinde became a Hollywood film writer and director in the late 1920s, and was often assigned to familiarize Broadway stage directors with the techniques of film making. As a director, he is considered one of American cinema's early B film specialists. Notable films include The Man they Could Not Hang with Boris Karloff, and Ronald Reagan's first motion picture: Love is on the Air (1937). As a screenwriter, he is credited as a co-writer of Laurel and Hardy's Babes in Toyland (1934).
Throughout his career, Grinde was a popular writer of short stories, articles and columns usually about show business and film making in early Hollywood. Prime examples include "Pictures for Peanuts" (Saturday Evening Post, December 29, 1945), a humorous B picture "how-to," and "Where's Vaudeville At?" (Saturday Evening Post, January 11, 1930).
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences houses the Nick Grinde Papers in its Special Collections.
- The Divorcee (1930 - writer)
- Good News (1930)
- This Modern Age (1931)
- Menu (1933)
- Babes in Toyland (1934 - writer)
- How to Sleep (1935)
- Ladies Crave Excitement (1935)
- Lucky Fugitives (1936)
- Love Is on the Air (1937)
- Exiled to Shanghai (1937)
- Mis dos amores (1938)
- Delinquent Parents (1938)
- Million Dollar Legs (1939)
- The Man They Could Not Hang (1939)
- The Man with Nine Lives (1940)
- Before I Hang (1940)
- Convicted Woman (1940)
- Girls of the Road (1940)
- Hitler - Dead or Alive (1942)
- The Girl from Alaska (1942)
- Raw, Laurence (January 10, 2014). "Character Actors in Horror and Science Fiction Films, 1930-1960". McFarland. Retrieved March 6, 2019 – via Google Books.
- Pitts, Michael R. (January 10, 2014). "Columbia Pictures Horror, Science Fiction and Fantasy Films, 1928-1982". McFarland. Retrieved March 6, 2019 – via Google Books.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nick Grinde.|