Henderson has spoken at numerous public forums and events, including as a panellist at the 2008 World Economic Forum in Davos. He has blogged at the Huffington Post  and regularly contributes to an LGBT themed blog, OutFrontUK. He has appeared on radio and television to discuss LGBT issues, such as on the controversy surrounding the 2008 comments made by the Pope on gay and transgender people.
In 2009 he was named runner up Scottish Young Thinker of the Year by the Institute of Contemporary Scotland for a paper he presented on the need for open primaries, a directly elected Prime Minister and a written constitution for the UK. Henderson was also appointed as a Youth Commissioner on Alcohol in 2009, which has a mandate from the Scottish Government to investigate and report on the relationship between young people and alcohol in Scotland.
In January 2009, Nick Henderson, as director of the LGBT Network, raised a petition (PE 1239) in the Scottish Parliament that called for the legalisation of civil marriage for same sex couples, and religious marriage where the religious body consents. It was accepted by the Petitions Committee and currently the Committee are considering the issue, along with the evidence submitted by faith groups, advocacy groups and the Scottish Government. It will discuss the petition again on 1 December.
Scottish Nationalist MSP Shirley-Anne Somerville is the strongest supporter of the petition in the Parliament. UK same sex marriage advocates Celia Kitzinger and Sue Wilkinson have also given their backing to the movement in Scotland.
- "Youth activists to challenge world leaders at world economic forum" (PDF). British Council. 22 January 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 April 2011. Retrieved 18 November 2009.
- Henderson, Nick (2008-02-07). "The Road to Davos". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- "Pope Benedict's Vatican address angers gay community". ABC Online. 2008-12-24. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- "Young Scotland Programme 2009 summer course". Young Programme. Archived from the original on 9 October 2011. Retrieved 18 November 2009.
- "Meet the Commissioners". Youth Commission on Alcohol Evidence Resource Centre. 12 August 2009. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 18 November 2009.
- "Petition PE1239". Scottish Parliament. Archived from the original on 16 October 2009. Retrieved 18 November 2009.
- "Gay Marriage in Scotland: Parliament to Ask Scottish Government to Review Marriage Act". UK Gay News. 2009-03-17. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- "The Equal Marriage Pledge". equalmarriage.org.uk. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- "Scotland's same-sex marriage bill is passed". BBC. Retrieved 23 August 2014.