||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Nicholas James David Hodgson|
20 October 1977 |
Leeds, West Yorkshire England
|Genres||Indie rock, pop|
|Instruments||Drums, vocals, guitar, bass guitar, piano, flute|
|Associated acts||Kaiser Chiefs, Mark Ronson|
He attended St. Mary's Menston with Nick Baines and Simon Rix. He then went on to Trinity & All Saints University College in Horsforth, Leeds where he studied Media. He later met Ricky Wilson and Andrew "Whitey" White at a mod night called Move on Up at The Underground in Leeds. Together they formed Runston Parva, later to be called Parva and now Kaiser Chiefs.
Together with bandmate Ricky Wilson, Hodgson started the Leeds club night Pigs "to give us something to look forward to". After giving the rest of the band a mix CD with songs he had been playing at Pigs, they formed Kaiser Chiefs, scrapping all their old songs and changing "the way we play, the way we dress, basically everything we could change without changing... our faces".
On 4 December 2012, Hodgson announced via his Twitter account that he had left Kaiser Chiefs to concentrate on other projects. Since then, Hodgson has refocussed his attentions on the studio. In an interview with NME, he spoke of his decision to split from the band, stating: "It was obvious really, because they know I love the studio and I love writing and I'm not mad about touring. I loved touring at some point, but I didn't love it all the time and I didn't love it as much as everyone else."
As well as being the main songwriter in Kaiser Chiefs, Hodgson continues to write for other people. He co-wrote "Bang Bang Bang" with Mark Ronson, MNDR and Q-Tip, which was released as the lead single from Ronson's third studio album, Record Collection, and went to no.6 in the UK charts. Hodgson has worked with The Vamps, Kodaline, Olly Murs, Lower Than Atlantis, Dua Lipa, John Newman, Hurts, Dagny and James Arthur. He worked with Duran Duran and producer Mark Ronson on the Duran Duran album All You Need Is Now, co-writing the track "Too Bad You're So Beautiful". He has also written for Shirley Bassey. He co-wrote the lead song, 'Feels Like Summer' for the Oscar, Golden Globe and Bafta-nominated film, Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015).
- "Music: Blazers of Glory". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. 21 May 2005. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "kaiser chiefs carling interview". YouTube. 22 January 2008. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- "Twitter / chewdio: I can confirm I have left Kaiser Chiefs after 15 spectacular years. I'm moving on. I wish the rest of the band the very best!". Twitter. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "Nick Hodgson explains his exit from Kaiser Chiefs". nme.com. 25 January 2013. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- Michaels, Sean (2012-12-05). "Kaiser Chiefs songwriter leaves band". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Mark Ronson & The Business Intl - Bang Bang Bang". Discogs. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "bang+bang+bang | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company". Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- ""Feels Like Summer" From Shaun the Sheep The Movie by Tim Wheeler, Ilan Eshkeri and Nick Hodgson". This Is My Jam. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Shaun the Sheep Music Video - Feels Like Summer (2015)". Trailer Addict. 2015-06-25. Retrieved 2017-02-06.