Nick Johnson (ice hockey, born 1985)
- For other people named Nick Johnson, see Nick Johnson (disambiguation).
Johnson as a member of the Minnesota Wild.
December 24, 1985 |
Calgary, AB, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||200 lb (91 kg; 14 st 4 lb)|
|NHL Draft||67th overall, 2004
He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins 67th overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. Before being drafted, Johnson played for the St. Albert Saints of the Alberta Junior Hockey League. After graduating high school and being drafted, Johnson played four seasons with Dartmouth of ECAC Hockey in the NCAA. Following his final season at Dartmouth, Johnson signed a two-year, entry-level contract with the Penguins on March 25, 2008. He shortly began his professional career with affiliate the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League.
In the 2009–10 season, Johnson scored his first career NHL goal in his NHL debut on January 21, 2010, with the Penguins against the Washington Capitals. He played in 6 games with the Pittsburgh before returning the Wilkes-Barre. On June 7, 2010, he was re-signed to a one-year contract with the Penguins.
On September 29, 2011, Johnson was claimed off waivers by the Minnesota Wild. In the 2011–12 season, Johnson earned a regular checking line role on the Wild, playing in a career high 77 games to recorded 8 goals and 26 points.
Despite his successful season with the Wild, Johnson was released as a free agent and on July 11, 2012, he was signed on a one-year, two-way deal with the Phoenix Coyotes. With the NHL lockout in affect, Johnson signed for a brief stint with the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL. Upon conclusion of the lockout he was assigned to AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates. He was later recalled by the Coyotes in the shortened 2012–13 season and appeared in 17 games for the Coyotes before on March 13, 2013, he was put on waivers and reassigned to Portland.
On July 5, 2013, Johnson was signed to a one-year, two-way contract with the Boston Bruins.
|2002–03||St. Albert Saints||AJHL||60||21||30||51||10||—||—||—||—||—|
|2003–04||St. Albert Saints||AJHL||51||35||36||71||33||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|All-ECAC Hockey Rookie Team||2004–05|
|All-ECAC Hockey First Team||2007–08|
- "Penguins sign prospect Nick Johnson". Pittsburgh Penguins. 2008-03-25. Retrieved 2008-11-10.
- "Ovechkin takes Round 1 over Crosby as Capitals double up Penguins". CBS Sports. 2010-01-21. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Anderson, Shelly (2010-06-07). "Penguins ink Johnson to two-way deal". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Wild Claim RW Nick Johnson on Waivers from Pittsburgh - Hockey Wilderness
- "The B's signing of Iginla highlights transactions". Boston Bruins. 2013-07-05. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- "Nick Johnson ready for Vaxjo Lakers" (in Swedish). Växjö Lakers. 2014-07-09. Retrieved 2014-07-09.