Nick Knight (photographer)
|Born||1958 (age 58–59)
|Known for||fashion photography, film|
Nick Knight OBE (born 1958) is a British fashion photographer and founder and director of SHOWstudio.com. He is an honorary professor at University of the Arts London and was awarded an honorary Ph.D. by the same university. He has produced books of his work including retrospectives Nicknight (1994) and Nick Knight (2009). In 2016, Knight's 1992 campaign photograph for fashion brand Jil Sander was sold by Phillips auction house at the record-breaking price of HKD 2,360,000.
Life and career
Knight studied photography at Bournemouth & Poole College of Art & Design and published his first book of photographs 'Skinhead' in 1982 when he was still a student at the school. He was then commissioned by i-D editor Terry Jones to create a series of portraits for magazine's fifth-anniversary issue. His work caught the attention of art director Marc Ascoli, who commissioned Knight to shoot the 1986 catalog of Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto in collaboration with Peter Saville. In 2016, he was commissioned to shoot official portraits of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles to celebrate Queen's 90th birthday.
He directed his first music video in 2001, for the song Pagan Poetry by Björk. In 2003, he created a film for Massive Attack's album "100th Window." In 2011 and 2013, Knight also directed the videos for Lady Gaga's single Born This Way and Kanye West's "Bound 2".
- Skinhead. London; New York: Omnibus, 1982. ISBN 9780711900523.
- Nicknight. Munich: Schirmer/Mosel, 1994. ISBN 9783888146619. Produced and directed by Marc Ascoli, Nick Knight, and Peter Saville. Written by Satoko Nakahara.
- Flora. Text by Sandra Knapp, art direction by Peter Saville, design by Paul Barnes. Initiated in 1993 for his installation of 'Plant Power' at the Natural History Museum, London.
- Nick Knight. With an introduction by Charlotte Cotton.
- Isabella Blow: Fashion Galore!. New York: Rizzoli, 2013. ISBN 9780847841721.
- Craven, Jo. "Nick Knight".
- "PHILLIPS : HK010116, NICK-KNIGHT".
- "Nick Knight - #BoF500 - The Business of Fashion".
- Theodosi, Natalie (18 December 2016). "Nick Knight Shoots Portrait of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles".
- "Pagan Poetry".
- "Special Cases".
- "Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way' Video Premieres".
- "Kanye West debuts Nick Knight-directed Bound 2 video featuring Kim". 20 November 2013.
- "About SHOWstudio - SHOWstudio - The Home of Fashion Film and Live Fashion Broadcasting".
- "Brit Insurance Design Awards shortlist: From Alexander McQueen to Zaha". 18 January 2010.
- Conlon, Scarlett. "Nick Knight Honoured".