Nick Knight (photographer)
|Born||1958 (age 58–59)
|Known for||fashion photography, film|
Nick Knight OBE (born 1958) is a British fashion photographer and founder and director of SHOWstudio.com. He is an honorary professor at University of the Arts London and was awarded an honorary Ph.D. by the same university. He has produced books of his work including retrospectives Nicknight (1994) and Nick Knight (2009). In 2016, Knight's 1992 campaign photograph for fashion brand Jil Sander was sold by Phillips auction house at the record-breaking price of HKD 2,360,000.
Life and career
Knight studied photography at Bournemouth and Poole College of Art and Design and published his first book of photographs 'Skinhead' in 1982 when he was still a student at the school. He was then commissioned by i-D editor Terry Jones to create a series of portraits for magazine's fifth-anniversary issue. His work caught the attention of art director Marc Ascoli, who commissioned Knight to shoot the 1986 catalog of Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto in collaboration with Peter Saville.
In 1992 Knight took a year long break from fashion photography to work on an exhibition at Natural History Museum, London with the British architect David Chipperfield. The exhibition was called Plant Power and was on the theme of the relationship between humans and plants. The exhibition lasted for fifteen years.
He directed his first music video in 2001, for the song "Pagan Poetry" by Björk. In 2003, he created a film for Massive Attack's album 100th Window. In 2011 and 2013, Knight also directed the videos for Lady Gaga's single "Born This Way" and Kanye West's "Bound 2".
In 2016, he was commissioned to shoot official portraits of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles for the Queen's 90th birthday.
A few of Nick Knight's exhibitions are listed below:
- Nick Knight, Christophe Guye Galerie, Zürich, Switzerland
- Nick Knight: Image, Daelim Museum, Seoul, South Korea
- History of Photography: The Body, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Great Britain
- #techstyle, The Museum of Fine Art, Boston, United States of America
- Vogue 100, National Portrait Gallery, London, Great Britain
- Nick Knight, Christophe Guye Galerie Booth, Paris Photo, Paris, France
- Vogue Like a Painting, Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid, Spain
- Killer Heels, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Great Britain
- Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Great Britain
- Nick Knight & Alexander McQueen, SHOWstudio Shop, London, Great Britain
- Killer Heels, Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn New York, United States
- Photographs I Like: Darren Bader, Andrew Kreps Gallery, New York, United States
- Flora, SHOWstudio Shop, London, Great Britain
- Death, SHOWstudio Shop, London, Great Britain
- Icons of Tomorrow – Contemporary Fashion Photography, Christophe Guye Galerie, Zurich, Switzerland 
- Great Photographs: Scape, Hasted Kraeutler, New York, United States
- Vanity, Kunsthalle Vienna, Austria
- Fashion Revolution, Somerset House, London, Great Britain
- Archeology of Elegance, Deichtorhallen Museum, Hamburg, Germany
- Talking to Myself, Yohji Yamamoto, La Masion Européenne de la Photographie, Paris, France
- Century City, Tate Modern, London, Great Britain
- CUT, (Exhibition By The Hairdresser Barnabee) Musee De La Mode, Paris, France
- Celebrating 100 Years of Photo District News, New York, United States
- Impossible Image, Phaidon Press Exhibition, Japan
- La Beaute, Exhibition For EN2000, Avignon, France
- Facing The Future, Touring Exhibition to Celebrate 20 Years of The Face Magazine
- Das Fernglas, The Deutsche Hygiene Museum, Dresden, Germany
- Nadja, Exhibition Celebrating Nadja Auermann, Germany
- Imperfect Beauty, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Great Britain
- Revolver, MTV Music Awards Exhibition, Stockholm, Sweden
- Nurture and Desire, Hayward Gallery, London, Great Britain
- Look at me – Fashion Photography 1965 to Present, British Council Traveling Exhibition
- powerhause::uk; Department of Trade and Industry
- The Oriental Curiosity – 21st Century Chinoiserie, Traveling exhibition, (London, Paris, Hong Kong)
- Shoreditch Biennale, London, Great Britain
- Handy Shorts, Lux Cinema, London, Great Britain
- The first 25 (retrospective exhibition of images from Visionaire magazine), Colette, Paris, France
- Addressing the Century: 100 Years of Art and Fashion, Hayward Gallery, London, Great Britain
- Taboo; Creative Review, London, Great Britain
- No Sex Please we’re British, Dazed & Confused, and Shiseido Co Ltd, Japan
- Yves Saint Laurent – 40 Years of Creation, New York, and Tokyo
- Silver & Syrup, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Great Britain
- H20, Kobe Fashion Museum, Japan
- Contemporary Fashion Photography, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Great Britain
- JAM, Barbican Gallery, London, Great Britain
- Little Boxes, (to accompany the launch of Michael Mack’s book, „Surface - Contemporary. Photographic Practice“); Traveling exhibition curated by Michael Mack
- Art/Fashion (with Alexander McQueen), Biennale di Firenze, Italy
- A Positive View, Saatchi Gallery, London, Great Britain
- Vanities Exhibition, Paris, France
- Plant Power, (permanent exhibit), Natural History Museum, London, Great Britain
- Festival De La Photo De Mode Exhibition, Monaco
- Festival De La Photo De Mode Exhibition, Barcelona, Spain
- Out of Fashion, Photographers Gallery, London, Great Britain
- Ils Annoncent La Colour, Les Rencontres D’Arles, Holly
- Solomon Gallery, New York, United States
- 20 For Today, National Portrait Gallery, London, Great Britain
- 14-21 Youth Culture Exhibition, Victoria & Albert Museum, London, Great Britain
- Group Exhibition 1982, Photographers Gallery, London, Great Britain
- Skinhead. London; New York: Omnibus, 1982. ISBN 9780711900523.
- Nicknight. Munich: Schirmer/Mosel, 1994. ISBN 9783888146619. Produced and directed by Marc Ascoli, Nick Knight, and Peter Saville. Written by Satoko Nakahara.
- Flora. Text by Sandra Knapp, art direction by Peter Saville, design by Paul Barnes. Initiated in 1993 for his installation of Plant Power at the Natural History Museum, London.
- Nick Knight. With an introduction by Charlotte Cotton.
- Isabella Blow: Fashion Galore!. New York: Rizzoli, 2013. ISBN 9780847841721.
- Craven, Jo. "Nick Knight".
- "Phillips : HK010116, Nick-Knight".
- "Nick Knight - #BoF500 - The Business of Fashion".
- "Vision Quest". Alice Rawsthorn, The New York Times, 15 April 2007. Accessed 15 May 2017
- "About SHOWstudio - SHOWstudio - The Home of Fashion Film and Live Fashion Broadcasting".
- "Brit Insurance Design Awards shortlist: From Alexander McQueen to Zaha". 18 January 2010.
- "Pagan Poetry".
- "Special Cases".
- "Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way' Video Premieres".
- "Kanye West debuts Nick Knight-directed Bound 2 video featuring Kim". 20 November 2013.
- Theodosi, Natalie (18 December 2016). "Nick Knight Shoots Portrait of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles".
- Christophe Guye Galerie, Nick Knight (Biography)
- Christophe Guye Galerie, Link to the exhibition
- Christophe Guye Galerie, Link to the exhibition
- Conlon, Scarlett. "Nick Knight Honoured".