Lachey in March 2012
|Born||November 9, 1973|
Harlan, Kentucky, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, singer-songwriter, producer, television personality|
(m. 2002; div. 2006)
|Relatives||Drew Lachey (brother)|
Nicholas Scott Lachey (// lə-SHAY; born November 9, 1973) is an American actor, singer, and television personality and host. He rose to fame as the lead singer of the multi-platinum-selling boyband 98 Degrees, and later starred in the reality series Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica with his then-wife, Jessica Simpson. He has released four solo albums: SoulO, What's Left of Me, A Father's Lullaby, and Soundtrack of My Life. He also had a recurring role on the television series Charmed. He hosted NBC's The Sing-Off, co-hosted VH1's Big Morning Buzz Live from 2014 to 2015, and now hosts Nickelodeon's America's Most Musical Family, and co-hosts the Netflix show Love is Blind with his wife Vanessa Lachey.
Lachey was born in Harlan, Kentucky, the son of Cathalyn (née Fopma) and John Lachey. He is the brother of singer and actor Drew Lachey, alongside whom he has worked closely. His maternal grandfather, Robert James Fopma, was of Dutch descent. Nick's other ancestry is English, Scottish, German, and distant Welsh and French (his surname originates in the Alsace region of France). He attended grade school at Clovernook Elementary School in North College Hill, Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio), and then went to the School for Creative and Performing Arts in Cincinnati, Ohio. He attended Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, where he joined Sigma Alpha Epsilon. In the fall of 1992, he enrolled at the University of Southern California, according to a statement he made during his guest appearance on The Arsenio Hall Show on December 12, 2013.
Lachey started his professional singing career at Kings Island with friend Justin Jeffre in the mid-1990s singing in a group quartet throughout the park. Lachey was a member of boyband 98 Degrees along with his brother, Drew, Justin Jeffre, and Jeff Timmons. Their debut album was the self-titled 98 Degrees; however, the band's first real success came with their follow-up album 98 Degrees and Rising. 98 Degrees has sold over 10 million records. 98 Degrees performed a one-off summer reunion show in Hershey, Pennsylvania, at the Summer Mixtape Festival on August 18, 2012, their first concert in more than a decade.
During the summer of 2003, the reality show, Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica, starring Lachey and then-wife Jessica Simpson began airing on MTV. The couple starred in the television special The Nick and Jessica Variety Hour, which aired in 2004 and was compared to The Sonny & Cher Show. In 2005, Newlyweds won a People's Choice Award for Favorite Reality Show before wrapping shortly after. On November 11, 2003, his solo debut album, SoulO, was released. Despite being released during the success of Newlyweds, the album was a commercial failure. Lachey took a recurring role on series Charmed between 2004 and 2005.
What's Left of Me was released on May 9, 2006 and debuted at number two on the Billboard 200. The album was certified Gold, after selling more than 500,000 copies domestically. The first single from the album was the title track, "What's Left of Me", released on February 21, 2006. The song became a hit, reaching a peak position of number six on the Billboard Hot 100. The video for "What's Left Of Me" featured former MTV VJ, Vanessa Minnillo. Lachey recorded "Ordinary Day" for the Oprah Winfrey-produced film, For One More Day. Lachey began working on his third solo album in 2007. Lachey also starred in a well known TV series, One Tree Hill, as a singer at Red Bedroom Productions. It was announced in January 2010 that Jive Records had put his new album on hold indefinitely. In June 2010, Lachey confirmed that he had parted ways with Jive Records.
Taking the Stage, a musical reality show documenting the lives of high school students at the School for Creative and Performing Arts, premiered on MTV in March 2009. It was produced by Lachey. In December 2009, he hosted The Sing-Off, a four-part American singing competition featuring a cappella groups, a role he reprised during December 2010 for the show's second and third season on NBC. Lachey was a contestant in the NBC celebrity reality competition series called Stars Earn Stripes.
On September 6, 2017, Lachey was announced as one of the celebrities who will take part on the 25th season of Dancing with the Stars, competing against his wife Vanessa. He was paired with professional dancer Peta Murgatroyd. Murgatroyd's husband, Maksim Chmerkovskiy, was paired with Vanessa. On October 23, Lachey and Murgatroyd were the fifth couple to be eliminated from the competition, leaving in ninth place.
Lachey and his wife currently host the Netflix reality show Love Is Blind.
Lachey is part owner of the Hollywood Fame, a team in the American Basketball Association that began play in fall 2006, and was part of an ownership group of the Tacoma Rainiers, the Seattle Mariners' Triple-A affiliate. Lachey is also a die-hard Cincinnati Bengals, Cincinnati Reds, and Cincinnati Bearcats fan. On April 7, 2009, Lachey threw out the ceremonial first pitch for the MLB Opening Day game in Cincinnati, Ohio. On July 9, 2011 Lachey sang the National Anthem for the inaugural NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, Kentucky.
Lachey was among a group of investors that placed a marijuana legalization initiative on the Ohio ballot in 2015. The initiative sought exclusive grow rights for the group members while prohibiting all other cultivation except small amounts for personal use. Lachey appeared in a TV ad advocating for passage of the initiative, but it was ultimately defeated.
In December 1998, Lachey and fellow singer Jessica Simpson were introduced by their shared manager at a Christmas event. They subsequently began dating after meeting again at a Teen People event in January 1999, but broke up for five months beginning in April 2001 until getting back together following the September 11 attacks. They became engaged in February 2002, and married on October 26, 2002, in Austin, Texas. In November 2005, after months of tabloid speculation, Lachey and Simpson announced they were separating. Simpson filed for divorce on December 16, 2005, citing "irreconcilable differences." The couple's divorce was publicized worldwide and was reportedly finalized on June 30, 2006.
Soon after the release of "What's Left of Me", Lachey's 2006 music video starring Vanessa Minnillo, he and Minnillo began dating. They briefly broke up in June 2009, but by October 2009, Lachey confirmed that they were back together after having been "single for a minute". Lachey and Minnillo became engaged in November 2010, and married on July 15, 2011, on Sir Richard Branson's private Necker Island in the British Virgin Islands. The wedding was filmed and televised on TLC. They have three children.
|2003—2005||Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica||Himself|
|2003||Christmas in Rockefeller Center||Musical Guest|
|2004||American Dreams||Tom Jones||Episode: "To Tell the Truth"|
|2004||Charmed||Leslie St. Claire||6 episodes|
|2004||I'm with Her||Tyler Vance||Episode: "I'm Not With Her"|
|2004||Hope & Faith||Chris||Episode: "Just-In Time"|
|2007||The Hard Easy||Jason Burns||Main role|
|2007||Rise: Blood Hunter||Dwayne||Cameo|
|2008||Clash of the Choirs||Choir Director|
|2009||One Tree Hill||Himself||2 episodes (Season 6, episodes 21 and 23)|
|2009||Taking the Stage||Himself/Guest|
|2011||Hawaii Five-0||Tyler||Episode: "Powa Maka Moana (Pirate)"|
|2011||Nick & Vanessa's Dream Wedding||Himself|
|2012||Stars Earn Stripes||Himself|
|2013||The Winner Is||Host|
|2014-2015||Big Morning Buzz Live||Host|
|2015||Lachey's: Raising the Bar||Himself|
|2016||Burgers, Brew & 'Que||Himself||Reality television|
Episode: "Phenomenal Philly Food Feast"
|2017||Dancing with the Stars||Himself||Contestant (season 25)|
|2017||Top Chef Junior||Himself||Guest judge|
|2017||Drop the Mic||Himself||Episode: "Mayim Bialik vs. Kunal Nayyar / Ashley Tisdale vs. Nick Lachey"|
|2018||Miss USA 2018||Co-Host/Performer (98 Degrees)|
|2019||Sugar Rush||Himself||Guest Judge, Episode: "Made with Love"|
|2019||Miss USA 2019||Co-Host/Performer (Solo)|
Awards and nominations
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2007||"What's Left of Me"||Most Performed Song||Won|
- Favorite Male Pop/Rock Artist (nominated) (November 21, 2006)
- Groovevolt Music and Fashion Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2007||What's Left of Me||Best Pop Album - Male||Nominated|
|"What's Left of Me"||Best Pop Song Performance - Male||Nominated|
- Best Male Video: What's Left of Me (nominated) (August 29, 2006)
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2000||"Where You Are" (with Jessica Simpson)||Choice Music: Love Song||Won|
|2003||Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica||Choice TV: Reality Hunk||Nominated|
|2004||Choice TV: Reality/Variety Star - Male||Nominated|
|2005||Himself||Choice TV: Personality - Male||Nominated|
|Choice Red Carpet Fashion Icon: Male||Nominated|
|Choice Hottie: Male||Nominated|
|"What's Left of Me"||Choice Music: Love Song||Won|
- Nager, Larry (November 11, 2003). "TV's hottest newlywed says he's a regular local guy". Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved July 7, 2007.
- "Nick Lachey". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on July 2, 2016.
- "Birth Record of Nicholas Scott Lachey". MooseRoots. Retrieved October 28, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Nick Lachey Biography, Celebrity Facts and Awards". TVGuide.com. Retrieved December 26, 2016.
- Communications, Emmis (September 2001). "Cincinnati Magazine - Google Books". Retrieved December 26, 2016.
- "Kings Island Central - Kings Island History - Kings Island Shows and Entertainment". Kicentral.com. Archived from the original on May 24, 2012. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "Largest Amusement & Waterpark in the Midwest | Kings Island". Visitkingsisland.com. Archived from the original on July 10, 2010. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- Kenneth Partridge (June 20, 2012). "98 Degrees Reunion: Nick and Drew Lachey Confirm Boy Band Will Play One-Off Show in Hershey, Pennsylvania. - AOL Music Blog". Blog.music.aol.com. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- Himes, Stephen. "The Nick and Jessica Variety Hour". Flak. Retrieved August 7, 2008.
- Kuntzman, Gersh (January 10, 2005). "Moore Controversy at People's Choice Awards". foxnews.com. Retrieved August 7, 2008.
- MacKenzie Wilson (November 9, 1973). "(Nick Lachey > Biography)". allmusic. Retrieved August 31, 2010.
- Susman, Gary (July 2, 2004). "Nick Lachey joins 'Charmed' cast". Entertainment Weekly. pp. The MTV Newlyweds star will appear in a guest role for six episodes next season as a ghostwriter who fills in for columnist Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) during her sabbatical and ends up falling in love with her. Retrieved August 8, 2008.
- Moss, Corey (March 14, 2007). "Don't Tell Effie: Nick Lachey Says He's Teaming With 'Dreamgirls' Underdogs - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News". Mtv.com. Retrieved August 31, 2010.
- ""Broke" Nick Lachey Vanessa Minnillo Can't Afford Dream Wedding". Popcrunch.com. January 22, 2010. Archived from the original on March 24, 2012. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "Stars Earn Strips Bio for Contestant Nick Lachey". Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- Takeda, Allison (January 16, 2014). "Nick Lachey Replacing Carrie Keagan as Host of VH1's Big Morning Buzz Live". Us Weekly. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 17, 2014). "Nick Lachey Joins VH1 'Big Morning Buzz Live' as Spring 2014 Host". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- "'Dancing With the Stars' season 25 celebrity cast: Frankie Muniz, Barbara Corcoran, Nick Lachey and more". ABC News. September 6, 2017. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- "'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Nick Lachey is eliminated, Lindsey Stirling is perfect". The Baltimore Sun. October 24, 2017. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- "Nickelodeon Sets All-Star Line-Up with Pop Culture Superstars Ciara, David Dobrik, Debbie Gibson and Nick Lachey for New Music Competition Series, America's Most Musical Family" (Press release). Nickelodeon. July 25, 2019. Retrieved July 25, 2019.
- Nickelodeon [@Nickelodeon] (October 2, 2019). "America's Most Musical Family takes the stage on Fridays starting November 1 🎤 #AMMF" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "sports.espn.go.com". sports.espn.go.com. November 30, 2006. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- Contrera, Jessica (October 30, 2015). "The Ohio marijuana vote that could make Nick Lachey a weed kingpin. Yes, that Nick Lachey". The Washington Post. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Borchardt, Jackie (September 21, 2015). "What you need to know about Issue 3 -- Ohio's marijuana legalization measure". Northeast Ohio Media Group. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Delbyck, Cole (November 3, 2015). "Nick Lachey Could Make Serious Bank If Weed Is Legalized in Ohio". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- King, Larry (October 14, 2003). "Interview With Nick Lachey, Jessica Simpson - Transcript". CNN. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "Jessica Simpson Biography - Will You Maui Me?". People. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (October 28, 2002). "Lachey and Simpson Become Mr. and Mrs". People. Archived from the original on April 29, 2007. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- Borzillo-Vrenna, Carrie (July 20, 2005). "Joe Simpson: Nick & Jessica's Marriage Is Solid". People. Archived from the original on June 17, 2008. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- "Nick Lachey, Jessica Simpson Split". people.com. November 25, 2005. Archived from the original on February 25, 2007. Retrieved August 7, 2008.
- "Jessica Simpson, Lachey divorce final". USAToday.com. June 30, 2006. Retrieved August 7, 2008.
- "Nick Lachey And Vanessa Minnillo Are Engaged". mtv.com. November 4, 2010. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- "Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo Split". People. June 23, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- "Nick Lachey & Vanessa Minnillo: Back On!". People. June 23, 2009. Archived from the original on October 10, 2009. Retrieved October 8, 2009.
- "Vanessa Minnillo & Nick Lachey Are Engaged!". People. November 4, 2010. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- Garcia, Jennifer. "Nick Lachey & Vanessa Minnillo: Why We Picked Necker Island for Wedding", People, July 18, 2011
- Garcia, Jennifer. "Vanessa Minnillo and Nick Lachey Are Married!", People, July 15, 2011
- Michaud, Sarah and Garcia, Jennifer. "Nick and Vanessa Lachey Welcome Son Camden John" Archived January 25, 2013, at the Wayback Machine, People, September 13, 2012
- Webber, Stephanie (January 6, 2015). "Vanessa Minnillo Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby Girl Brooklyn Elisabeth With Nick Lachey: First Photo". Us Weekly. Retrieved January 18, 2015.
- Schnurr, Samantha (September 3, 2016). "Nick Lachey and Vanessa Lachey Expecting Baby No. 3". E! Online. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- Quinn, Dave (December 26, 2016). "'A Christmas Miracle!' Nick and Vanessa Lachey Welcome Son Phoenix Robert". People Magazine. Retrieved December 26, 2016.
- "Celebrity Partners". Feeding America. Archived from the original on April 14, 2013. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nick Lachey.|
Terrence J and Julianne Hough
| Host of Miss USA with Vanessa Lachey