|Occupation||Chief Executive of Top Up TV|
Chairman of Inview Technology Ltd
Joanna (m. 1994)
Nick Markham is Chairman of Inview Technology Ltd and Chief Executive of Top Up TV, which he helped to launch in 2004. He is a Non-Executive Director of the Department for Communities and Local Government since January 2013, where he sits on the Department’s Audit and Risk Committee. Previously he was Strategy Director at ITV where he led the merger integration of Carlton Television (now ITV London) and Granada and developed the concept of Freeview alongside the BBC. He was also CFO for Laura Ashley where he led the financial restructuring of the business. From 1990-1998 Nick Markham was a councillor and Deputy Leader of Westminster Council. He is currently a founder and Chairman of Safe Haven, a charity which has raised £35m from commercial banks to fund permanent housing for more than 200 homeless families in London at no cost to the taxpayer, according to the website Housing Excellence.
Nick Markham is Chairman of Inview Technology, the supplier of middleware to digital set top boxes and TVs. Inview has been developing EPGs, broadcast data service and digital TV software platforms since 1996 and was first to launch on Digital Terrestrial TV in the UK. Digital terrestrial broadcasting began in the UK on Sunday 15 November 1998, was among the first countries in the world. Markham has advised companies and Governments in Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines, South Africa and Nigeria on Analogue Switch Off.
He is also Chief Executive of Top Up TV, which supplied a range of linear pay TV channels on DTT including Sky Sports 1, 2 and ESPN (the U.S.-based global cable and satellite television channel) and which provides conditional-access modules (CAMs) and technical services to BT Vision. According to the Government website Gov.uk Top Up TV was the first successful pay TV operator on digital terrestrial television in the world.
- Inview Technology Ltd website; accessed 14 February 2014.
- Balderton Capital website: Balderton.com; accessed 14 February 2014.
- Gov.uk website; accessed 14 February 2014.
- The Guardian; 28 October 2003; accessed 14 February 2014.
- Website: Housing; 16/05/2007
- Inview Technology website Archived 2013-12-12 at the Wayback Machine. Inview Technology website; recalled 14/02/1014.
- Ofcom website; Digital TV through the aerial is 15 years old November 15, 2013
- Balderton Capital website
- Gov.uk website; title: Biography Nick Markham joined DCLG’s board in January 2013. Accessed 14 February 2014.