Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports
|Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports|
|Studio album by|
|Released||3 May 1981|
|Recorded||in October 1979, at Grog Kill Studios, Willow, New York by Michael Mantler, assisted by Nick Mason; mixed in December 1979 & May 1980 at Village Recorders & the Producer's Workshop, L.A. by James Guthrie|
|Genre||Jazz-rock, progressive rock|
|Producer||Nick Mason, Carla Bley|
|Nick Mason chronology|
Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports is the debut solo studio album by Nick Mason, Pink Floyd’s drummer. Released in May 1981 in the UK and US, this was Mason's first major work outside of Pink Floyd. It is sung by Robert Wyatt, except for the opening song.
The album was recorded in October 1979 but its release was delayed for almost two years.
I made 'Fictitious Sports' more as an exercise. There's more longevity in 'Profiles'... it's strong enough to be accepted as a 'proper' record.
Originally, I had arranged to go to America and make an album using all sorts of material, but then Carla sent me a cassette with some of her ideas. It was very different from what she had done before and absolutely in line with what I like. So I thought it would be much better to do that than to struggle desperately to find things that work together.
All songs written by Carla Bley.
- "Can't Get My Motor to Start" – 3:39
- "I Was Wrong" – 4:12
- "Siam" – 4:48
- "Hot River" – 5:16
- "Boo to You Too" – 3:26
- "Do Ya?" – 4:36
- "Wervin'" – 3:58
- "I'm a Mineralist" – 6:16
- Nick Mason – drums, percussion, co-producer, assistant recording engineer
- Carla Bley – keyboards, songwriter, co-producer
- Robert Wyatt – vocals (except on "Can't Get My Motor to Start")
- Karen Kraft – lead vocal on "Can't Get My Motor to Start", duet vocal on "Hot River", backing vocals
- Chris Spedding – guitars
- Steve Swallow – bass guitar
- Michael Mantler – trumpets, recording engineer
- Gary Windo – tenor, bass clarinet, flute, additional voices
- Gary Valente – trombones, additional voices
- Howard Johnson – tuba
- Terry Adams – piano on "Boo to You Too", harmonica & clavinet on "Can't Get My Motor to Start"
- Carlos Ward – additional voices
- David Sharpe – additional voices
- Vincent Chancey – additional voices
- Earl McIntyre – additional voices
- James Guthrie – mixing engineer
- Hipgnosis and Geoff Halpin – cover design
- Vernon Fitch. "Pink Floyd Archives - Nick Mason LP Discography". The Pink Floyd Archives. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports at AllMusic
- Fictitious Sports at AllMusic
- Fictitious Sports: Credits at AllMusic
- See: The credits on the album sleeve.
- "The Amazing Pudding Reference Guide on Pink Floyd songs and records". Archived from the original on 2012-09-22.