|Known for||Poetry, Education, Digital Media, Interactive Fiction|
|The Future, #!, Grand Text Auto, Twisty Little Passages, The Electronic Literature Collection: Volume 1, The New Media Reader|
- The Truelist
- 2x6 (collaboration with six others, 2016)
- Taroko Gorge
- Ream/Rame (collaboration with Anick Bergeron, 2008)
- 2002: A Palindrome Story (collaboration with William Gillespie, 2002)
- Grand Text Auto group blog
- Book and Volume (2005)
- Implementation (collaboration with Scott Rettberg, 2004)
- Ad Verbum (2000)
- Winchester's Nightmare (1999)
Study of video games
Montfort's Twisty Little Passages was described by Steve Meretzky as "a thoroughly researched history of interactive fiction, as well as a brilliant analysis of the genre." His longtime study of the world's first widespread gaming system led to Racing the Beam, co-authored with Georgia Institute of Technology associate professor Ian Bogost. In the book, they analyze the platforms, or systems, that underlie the computing process. They also discuss the social and cultural implications of the system that dominated the video game market.
- Montfort, Nick; Patsy Baudoin; John Bell; Ian Bogost; Jeremy Douglass; Mark C. Marino; Michael Mateas; Casey Reas; Mark Sample; Noah Vawter (2012). 10 PRINT CHR$(205.5+RND(1)); : GOTO 10. MIT Press.
- Montfort, Nick (2003). Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Montfort, Nick; Noah Wardrip-Fruin (2003). The New Media Reader. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- "Book Review: The Future | AAI Foresight". aaiforesight.com. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- "A Review of The Future". ADJACENT Issue 3. 2018-06-05. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- "Book Review: #! | The Found Poetry Review". www.foundpoetryreview.com. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- "Taroko Gorge and Its Remixes". I ♥ E-Poetry. 2013-11-15. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- Marques da Silva, Ana; Bettencourt, Sandra (2017-04-18). "Writing–reading devices: intermediations". Neohelicon. 44 (1): 41–54. doi:10.1007/s11059-017-0382-0. ISSN 0324-4652.
- "Electronic Literature Collection - Volume 3". collection.eliterature.org. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- "Nick Montfort". Poetry Foundation. Poetry Foundation. 2018-07-21. Retrieved 2018-07-21.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Twisty Little Passages". The MIT Press. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- Edgers, Geoff (March 8, 2009). "A talk with Nick Montfort". The Boston Globe.