||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Known for||Education, Digital Media, Interactive Fiction|
|Notable work||Grand Text Auto, Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction, The Electronic Literature Collection: Volume 1|
Nick Montfort is an associate professor of digital media at MIT in the Program in Writing and Humanistic Studies. He is also a poet, computer scientist, and author of interactive fiction. Montfort has collaborated on the blog Grand Text Auto, the sticker novel Implementation, and the contemporary fiction novel 2002: A Palindrome Story. He writes poems, text generators, and interactive fiction such as Book and Volume and Ad Verbum. Most recently, he and Ian Bogost wrote Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System (MIT Press, 2009). Montfort also wrote Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction (MIT Press, 2003) and co-edited The Electronic Literature Collection: Volume 1 (ELO, 2006) and The New Media Reader (MIT Press, 2003).
- Taroko Gorge
- Ten Mobile Texts
- The Purpling
- Ream/Rame (collaboration with Anick Bergeron, 2008)
- Digital Ream, Ream numérique, and Ream Appropriated
- The Ed Report
- Grand Text Auto Blog
- 2002: A Palindrome Story
- Mystery House Taken Over
- Winchester's Nightmare (1999)
- Book and Volume
- Ad Verbum (2000)
- Venenarius Verborium
- The Executor
- Fields of Dream (collaboration with Rachel Stevens, 2003)
- Contributed to The &NOW Awards 2: The Best Innovative Writing, &NOW Books, 2013.
Study of video games
His longtime study of the world's first widespread gaming system has led to Racing the Beam, co-authored with Georgia Institute of Technology associate professor Ian Bogost. In the book, they analyze the platforms, or systems, that underlie the computing process. They also discuss the social and cultural implications of the system that dominated the video game market.
- Montfort, Nick (2003). Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Montfort, Nick; Noah Wardrip-Fruin (2003). The New Media Reader. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Montfort, Nick (2012). 10 PRINT CHR$(205.5+RND(1)); : GOTO 10. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.