Nick Robinson (American actor)
|Born||Nicholas John Robinson
March 22, 1995
Seattle, Washington, United States
|Alma mater||NYU (deferred)|
Nicholas John "Nick" Robinson (born March 22, 1995) is an American actor. He currently co-stars as Ryder Scanlon, the nephew of Mel Burke, in the ABC Family sitcom Melissa & Joey. He played the protagonist, Joe Toy, in The Kings of Summer (2013), directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts. In 2015, Robinson played Zach Mitchell in the sci-fi adventure film, Jurassic World. He is set to star in the 2016 book adaptation The Fifth Wave as Ben Parish.
Robinson was born in Seattle, Washington, the oldest of five children, though he also has two older half-siblings from his father's previous marriage. At age nine his parents enrolled him in a local children's theater group called Broadway Bound. He attended Seattle Preparatory School.
At age 11, Robinson made his professional acting debut in a stage version of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Robinson continued to perform in regional theater productions throughout the Seattle-area, including To Kill A Mockingbird, Mame, and A Thousand Clowns.
In 2008, a theater friend suggested to Robinson's parents that Nick should meet with legendary Hollywood talent scout, Matt Casella, who said of Robinson, "He's a real kid, with an extraordinary talent and gift, not to mention a smart, good natured, creative kid with a great smile. Nick is ready for LA." Casella then recommended him to a few agencies and eventually signed with The Savage Agency in Los Angeles. Unfortunately for Robinson, the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike was in full swing so he and his parents returned to Washington where he continued to perform on stage in and around Seattle.
In 2011, while on hiatus from Melissa & Joey, Robinson began filming of the Disney Channel original movie Frenemies with fellow Disney stars Bella Thorne and Zendaya of “Shake It Up.” Robinson played the role of Jake Logan. Frenemies premiered on January 13, 2012, on the Disney Channel.
In 2012, Robinson was cast in the lead role of Joe Toy in director Jordan Vogt-Roberts feature film-debut The Kings of Summer. Filming began in May 2012 in the Cleveland, Ohio-area and ended August 2012. The film, which premiered in select locations on May 31, 2013, is about a group of three outcast teens who decide one summer to leave home and live on their own in the nearby woods. He also guest-starred in the third season of HBO's Boardwalk Empire as Rowland Smith, a young thief who has stolen part of Nucky Thompson's (Steve Buscemi) underground liquor shipments. The episode, entitled “Blue Bell Boy,” aired October 7, 2012. During the summer of 2012, Robinson began starring in a series of television commercials for Cox Communications entitled "Buffer Time is Bonding Time." A new series of commercials began airing in October 2012. Robinson co-starred with Ty Simpkins in 2015's Jurassic World, playing a pair of brothers whom visit their aunt at Jurassic World. Jurassic World became the highest grossing film of 2015.
|2009||CC 2010||Young CC's father||Credited as Nick J. Robinson|
|2010||Displaced||Kid with towel|
|2012||Frenemies||Jake Logan||Disney Channel Original Movie|
|2013||The Kings of Summer||Joe Toy||Lead role|
|2015||Jurassic World||Zach Mitchell|
|2015||Being Charlie||Charlie||Lead role|
|2016||The 5th Wave||Ben Parish||Post-production; lead role|
|2010–15||Melissa & Joey||Ryder Scanlon||Series regular|
|2012||Boardwalk Empire||Rowland Smith||Guest star|
|2015||Lego Jurassic World||Zach Mitchell|
|2006||ACT Theatre||A Christmas Carol||Turkey Boy|
|2007||Intiman Playhouse||To Kill a Mockingbird||Jem Finch|
|2008||5th Avenue Theatre||Mame||Patrick Dennis|
|2009||Intiman Playhouse||A Thousand Clowns||Nick Burns|
|2010||Village Theatre||Lost in Yonkers||Arty|
Awards and nominations
Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards
|2013||The Kings of Summer||Best Performance by a Youth in a Lead or Supporting Role – Male||Nominated|
- "Nick Robinson on David Letterman".
- [dead link]
- "Ryder Scanlon by Nick Robinson - Melissa & Joey - ABCFamily.com". Beta.abcfamily.go.com. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "Ryder Scanlon". ABC Family. Retrieved 2015-06-14.
- Stevens, Serita. "Newest Teen Heart Throb: Nick Robinson | Splash Magazines | Los Angeles". Lasplash.com. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- Sari N. Kent. "Interview with Nick Robinson". TheCelebrityCafe.com. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- 2:25 p.m. PDT July 19, 2011 (2011-07-19). "Local teen stars with former idols in new TV show". King5.com. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "Disney Channel Original Movie "Frenemies" Buddies Up With 4.2 Million Total Viewers - Ratings". TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com. 2012-01-17. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- Jeff Sneider (2012-06-27). "‘Toy’s House’ gets thesp trio". Variety. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- O'Connor, Clint. "'Toy's House': Comedy shooting in Greater Cleveland features Alison Brie, Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally". cleveland.com.
- DuMound, Joanne. "Film crew arrives in Berea". cleveland.com.
- 'Jurassic World' Nabs 'Kings of Summer' Actor