Nick Straker Band
|Nick Straker Band|
|Genres||Synthpop, new wave, post-disco, jazz-funk fusion|
|Labels||Prelude Records (US)
Pinnacle Records (UK)
Decca Records (Germany)
|Associated acts||New Musik|
|Website||Web archive backup: Official website (no longer relates to Nick Straker Band – December 2011)|
|Past members||Nick Straker
The Nick Straker Band were an English pop music group from London, England, led by musician and vocalist Nick Straker. Several members of the band were also in New Musik, and the band's line-up consisted of Straker along with Tony Mansfield, Tony Hibbert, David McShera, Pete Hammond and Phil Towner. Their song "A Walk in the Park" peaked at No. 20 on the UK Singles Chart in 1980, having previously been a substantial hit in Continental Europe in 1979. Their most successful song in the US, "A Little Bit of Jazz", spent one week at No. 1 on the Hot Dance Music/Club Play Chart in 1981.
|Year||Song title / singles||US Club Play Singles||UK Singles Chart||US R&B singles|
|1980||"A Walk in the Park"||–||20||–|
|"Don't Come Back"||–||–||–|
|"Leaving on the Midnight Train"||–||61||–|
|1981||"A Little Bit of Jazz" / "The Last Goodbye"||1||–||35|
|1983||"You Know I Like It"||–||–||–|
|"Against the Wall"||–||–||–|
|1984||"Turn Me Down"||–||–||–|
|"Must You Dance"||–||–||–|
|"It Only Takes a Minute"||–||–||–|
|1987||"A Walk in the Park '87 (PWL Mix)"||–||82||–|
|US Billboard 200||UK Albums Chart|
|Future's Above My Head (German LP)||1979||–||–||
|A Walk in the Park (UK)||1980||–||–||
|The Nick Straker Band (US)||1981||–||–||
|The Best of Nick Straker: A Walk in the Park||1993||–||–||
- List of number-one dance hits (United States)
- List of artists who reached number one on the US Dance chart
- Web archive backup: "Nick Straker Official Website - Nickstraker.com". Nickstraker.com. Archived from the original on 6 July 2008. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- Ron Wynn. "Nick Straker Band | Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 451. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Nick Straker Band". Discog.info. Retrieved 2014-01-28.