Nick Vincent (baseball)
|Seattle Mariners – No. 50|
July 12, 1986 |
|June 26, 2012, for the San Diego Padres|
(through May 21, 2016)
|Earned run average||2.50|
High school and college
San Diego Padres
The San Diego Padres drafted Vincent in the 18th round (555th overall) of the 2008 Major League Baseball draft. He spent 2009 and 2010 pitching out of the bullpen with the High-A Lake Elsinore Storm of the California League. In his 2010 season, he posted a 1.87 ERA in 812⁄3 innings with 76 strike-outs. He spent 2011 with the Double-A San Antonio Missions where he had a 2.27 ERA, 89 strike-outs, and held opponents to a .196 batting average in 791⁄3 innings as a reliever. The Padres added Vincent to the 40 man roster after the 2011 season.
Vincent suffered a severe high ankle sprain in spring training of 2012 and opened the season on the disabled list before joining the Triple-A Tucson Padres in May. Vincent was first promoted to the San Diego Padres on May 18, 2012, but he did not make it into a game before being optioned back to Tucson on May 26. He wasn't throwing well in Tucson and in early June was sent down to San Antonio, where he had a 1.86 ERA in 9 outings. Vincent was then recalled directly to the San Diego Padres and made his Major League debut on June 26, 2012, pitching 2 scoreless innings against the Houston Astros. He earned his first Major League win 2 days later, pitching in relief. He was sent back to Tucson on July 5 after allowing runs in back-to-back appearances, but returned on July 16. He pitched scoreless relief in 3 games before being optioned to Tucson on July 22 when Eric Stults came off the disabled list. Vincent came back to San Diego for the remainder of the season on August 18. He pitched in a total of 261⁄3 innings with the Padres in 2013 with a 1.71 ERA and 28 strike-outs.
Vincent was sidelined by inflamed tendons in his forearm in spring training of 2013 and began the season with the Tucson Padres. He was called up on May 30 when Anthony Bass was sent to Triple-A. He pitched four scoreless innings in two appearances before being sent back to Tucson. He returned again on June 11 when Burch Smith was sent down and would remain with the San Diego Padres for the rest of the season. Vincent pitched in a total of 461⁄3 innings in 45 games with the big league club, posting a 2.14 ERA and 49 strike-outs.
Vincent broke Spring Training in 2014 with the Padres and had a stretch of 20 consecutive batters retired in April. He was with the Major League club all year except for a six-week trip to the disabled list with shoulder fatigue in June and July. Vincent finished the year with a 3.60 ERA and 62 strike-outs in 55 innings.
Vincent also began 2015 with the Major League club, but was optioned to Triple-A El Paso on April 10 after the Padres bullpen was used extensively in the first week of the season and required fresh arms. He had two more stints with the Padres in May and June before being called up again on September 1 when rosters expanded. Vincent finished the year with a 2.35 ERA and 22 strike-outs in 23 innings with the Major League club.
Vincent plays as much golf as possible during the off-season and is a regular at the San Vicente Golf Resort in Ramona.
- Center, Bill (May 18, 2012). "Ramona High grad Nick Vincent reaches the Padres". U-T San Diego. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Center, Bill (November 18, 2011). "Padres add six prospects to 40-man roster". U-T San Diego. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Buda, Joe (May 26, 2012). "Padres select RHP Matt Palmer from Triple-A Tucson and option RHP Nick Vincent to Tucson". San Diego Informer. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Naiman, Joe (June 5, 2013). "Nick Vincent gets another call-up to Padres". Ramona Sentinel. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Brock, Corey (July 24, 2013). "Vincent proving effective despite injuries". MLB.com. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Brock, Corey (June 11, 2013). "Padres recall RHP Nick Vincent from Triple-A Tucson and option RHP Burch Smith to Tucson". MLB.com. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- Lin, Dennis (April 23, 2014). "Morning links: Vincent dominant". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- Sanders, Jeff (July 19, 2014). "Morning links: Vincent returning from DL". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- Togerson, Derek (April 10, 2015). "Padres Suffer First Major Injury Of 2015". 7 San Diego. NBCSanDiego.com. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- Lin, Dennis (September 1, 2016). "Padres bring up two relievers, more to come". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- Mariners acquire right-handed reliever Nick Vincent from the Padres for a player to be named later
- Tamburrino, Bill (November 14, 2012). "Timeout with Tambo: Nick Vincent recalls year's highlights with the Padres". Ramona Sentinel. Retrieved March 1, 2014.