Nicky Larson et le Parfum de Cupidon
|Nicky Larson et le Parfum de Cupidon|
|Directed by||Philippe Lacheau|
|Produced by||Christophe Cervoni]|
|Screenplay by||Julien Arruti|
|Based on||City Hunter|
by Tsukasa Hojo
|Music by||Michael Tordjman|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing France (France))|
Pathé Films AG1 (Swiss)
|Box office||$13.3 million|
Nicky Larson et le Parfum de Cupidon ("Nicky Larson and Cupid's Perfume") is a French crime comedy directed by Philippe Lacheau who also co-wrote the screenplay with Julien Arruti and Pierre Lacheau. It is an adaptation of the Japanese manga and anime series City Hunter (known as Nicky Larson in France) by Tsukasa Hojo, who agreed to the adaptation after reading the script. The film features Philippe Lacheau, Élodie Fontan, Tarek Boudali and Julien Arruti in lead roles, along with Didier Bourdon, Kamel Guenfoud, Sophie Mousel, Hélène Lamberti and Pamela Anderson in supporting roles. It was first released on 6 February 2019.
Nicky Larson is an unusual private investigator, as talented a street fighter as a sniper. He is often called on to solve problems that no one can solve. Aided by his partner Laura, he offers multiple services to his customers, more or less dangerous. But, as professional and famous as he is, he has a major flaw: his particularly exacerbated penchant for the fairer sex, which poses a lot of worries to Laura.
One of his clients entrusts him one day the mission to protect the "Cupid's perfume", a fragrance that makes anyone who wears it absolutely irresistible . But a moment of distraction on Larson's part allow thugs to seize it. Nicky Larson must then recover the perfume
The characters are named as they are known in the French dubbed version of the anime series:
- Philippe Lacheau as Nicky Larson (Ryo Saeba)
- Élodie Fontan as Laura Marconi (Kaori Makimura)
- Tarek Boudali as Poncho
- Julien Arruti as Gilbert Skippy
- Didier Bourdon as Dominique Lettelier
- Kamel Guenfoud as Mammouth (Umibozu)
- Sophie Mousel as Hélène Lamberti (Saeko Nogami)
- Raphaël Personnaz as Tony Marconi (Hideyuki Makimura)
- Pamela Anderson as Jessica Fox
- Gérard Jugnot as the psychologist
- Chantal Ladesou as Gilbert's mother-in-law
- Audrey Lamy as Gilbert's wife
- Jarry as the mayor Mokkori
- Reem Kherici as the tattooed girl
- Pascal Boisson as Paco
- Jérôme Le Banner as Joe
- Arben Bajraktaraj as Black Gloves
- Achille Potier as Jordan, Gilbert's son
- Elisa Bachir Bey as a model
- Adja Kaba as a model
- Noémie Demeule as a model
- Liya Kebede as the professor's daughter
- Dorothée as l’hôtesse aéroportuaire (cameo appearance)
- Jean-Paul Césari as the singer at the Fashion Police party (cameo appearance)
- Vincent Ropion as the television reporter (cameo appearance)
- Medi Sadoun as the lie detector inspector (cameo appearance)
A poster of the film was unveiled on June 8, 2018, revealing the title of the film, Nicky Larson et le Parfum de Cupidon (Nicky Larson and Cupid's Perfume).
The first trailer of the film was unveiled on September 25, 2018, while a trailer called "finale" was presented on December 4, 2018 by Sony Pictures France.
At the Comic Con Paris in October 2018, it was revealed that Jean-Paul Césari and Vincent Ropion would make cameos in the film. The first being the interpreter of the French credits song of the animated series while the second is the French voice of the main character.
The film was previewed over most of France on December 15, 2018, before its national release on February 6, 2019, the same in Switzerland. On February 13, 2019, the film was released in Belgium, on March 14, 2019 in Thailand and on May 23, 2019 in Russia under the title Undercover Playboy.
The film debuted at #3 in France, with an opening weekend gross of €3,111,807 ($3,515,249). In France, the film sold more than 1 million tickets and grossed €8,817,024 ($10,031,595) by 24 February 2019. As of 31 March 2019, the film has sold 1,684,350 tickets and grossed $12,898,742 in France. Worldwide, the film has sold 1,709,805 tickets and grossed $13,297,482 as of 31 May 2019.
On December 14, 2018, the day before the premiere, Simon Riaux, in his review for Écran large, wrote: ... "the film sends a handful of sometimes hilarious images, sometimes imbued with unexpected prettiness (...) in subjective vision in quilted pursuit", but "the story manages to hold an astonishing harmony between pastiche and first degree. (...) The dialogues appear more than once as the main weak point of the team". Frédéric Mignard from Avoir-alire admits that it is "probably the most sympathetic film of its author since the Babysittings, far from the recent shipwrecks in comic strip adaptation, like that of Gaston Lagaffe. (...) To tell the truth, the misunderstandings gags and the astonishing situations are typical of the work of Lacheau (...) and as one is never bored nor has the impression of wasting his time, one mays pardon him his few artistic wanderings."
- "Nicky Larson et le Parfum de Cupidon - la critique du film". www.avoir-alire.com. Retrieved 15 March 2019.Archived 2019-02-04 at the Wayback Machine
- "Nicky Larson et le parfum de Cupidon". www.unifrance.org. Retrieved 15 March 2019.Archived 2018-06-19 at the Wayback Machine
- "Nicky Larson – Le parfum de Cupidon". www.tout-mon-univers.com. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Match, Paris. "Une première affiche pour le "Nicky Larson" de Philippe Lacheau". parismatch.com. Archived from the original on 21 October 2018. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Nicky Larson et le parfum de cupidon". Kinepolis. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Nicky Larson et le parfum de Cupidon". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 31 May 2019.
- MEUNIER, Emilie (30 October 2018). "Exclu. Philippe Lacheau (Nicky Larson) dévoile les raisons de la présence de Pamela Anderson dans le film (VIDEO)" (in French). Archived from the original on 2019-02-07. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- Match, Paris. "Cannes 2018: 35 ans de partenariat avec Renault - Elodie Fontan et Philippe Lacheau: de Cannes à "Nicky Larson"". parismatch.com. Archived from the original on 24 June 2018. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Arlin, Marc (15 January 2019). "Philippe Lacheau a pris 8 kilos de muscles : son impressionnant avant/après (PHOTO)". www.programme-tv.net. Archived from the original on 16 January 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Article on Allociné.fr Archived 2018-06-29 at the Wayback Machine: Nicky Larson: blow of club, Elodie Fontan will play Laura for Philippe Lacheau!
- Leoni, Emilie (16 August 2018). "Nicky Larson : Philippe Lacheau dévoile la première photo de Mammouth, autre personnage iconique du dessin animé (PHOTO)". www.programme-tv.net. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Paris Match article: Pamela Anderson sexy and glamorous on the Nicky Larson set". Archived from the original on 2018-08-29. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "Nicky Larson". www.allocine.fr. Retrieved 15 March 2019. Archived 2018-08-19 at the Wayback Machine
- AlloCine. "Nicky Larson : déjà une affiche pour le film de Philippe Lacheau". AlloCiné. Archived from the original on 19 June 2018. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- AlloCine. "Nicky Larson : le caméo de Dorothée, les clins-d'oeil, la bande-annonce... Toutes les infos du Comic-Con Paris 2018". AlloCiné. Archived from the original on 30 October 2018. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "French Live-Action City Hunter Film Nicky Larson Opens at #3". Anime News Network. 2019-02-16. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "French Live-Action City Hunter Film Nicky Larson Sells 1 Million Tickets in 2 Weeks". Anime News Network. 3 March 2019. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "Nicky Larson et le parfum de Cupidon (2019) – France". JP's Box-Office. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "Nicky Larson et le parfum de Cupidon". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "Nicky Larson et le parfum de Cupidon (2019) – Monde". JP's Box-Office. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Nicky Larson et le Parfum de Cupidon : critique qui ne craint personne". EcranLarge.com. Archived from the original on 4 February 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Nicky Larson est-il le pire film du monde ?". GQ France. Archived from the original on 7 February 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.