Nico F. Declercq
|Nico F. Declercq|
December 27, 1975 |
|Known for||study of diffraction of acoustic waves and ultrasound waves|
|Spouse(s)||Shirani Olupathage de Silva |
|Institutions||Georgia Institute of Technology|
|Thesis||The interaction of complex harmonic elastic waves with periodically corrugated surfaces and with anisotropic viscoelastic and/or piezoelectric layered media (2005)|
|Doctoral advisor||Oswald Leroy|
|Other academic advisors||Mack A. Breazeale|
Nico Felicien Declercq (Kortrijk (Belgium), 27 December 1975) is a physicist and mechanical engineer. He is an associate professor with the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta and Georgia Tech Lorraine in France. He is specialized in ultrasonic nondestructive evaluation of materials, propagation of ultrasonic waves in highly complex materials, in acoustics, in theoretical and experimental linear and nonlinear ultrasonics, and acousto-optics. He has investigated the acoustics of Chichen Itza and Epidaurus.
Education, career and awards
Declercq received his BSc and MSc in physics (with option astrophysics) from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in 1996 and 2000, respectively, and received a PhD in engineering physics from Ghent University in 2005. He worked as a Belgian National Science Foundation (FWO Vlaanderen) postdoctoral fellow with Ghent University before he accepted a faculty position with Georgia Tech in 2006.
Declercq received the International Dennis Gabor Award from the NOVOFER Foundation of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences on December 21, 2006. He received the ICA Early Career Award "For outstanding contributions to ultrasonics, particularly for studies of propagation and diffraction of acoustic waves" from the International Commission for Acoustics in 2007.
Declercq has been president (2013-2015) of the steering board of the International Congress on Ultrasonics, as well as president of their 2015 congress. He is an associate editor of the journal Acta Acustica united with Acustica, associate editor of the Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, and founding editor-in-chief of Elsevier's Physics in Medicine. He serves on technical committees of the French Acoustical Society.
- Biography of Declercq Nico Felicien in Marquis Who's Who in America
- Genealogy information on Declercq's website
- de Salazar y Castro, Luis (1685). Historia genealogica de la Casa de Silva (English : Genealogical history of the House of de Silva) (1st ed.). Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- a review of the battle led by Dom Diogo de Silva at Horana and Uduwara (birthplace of Declercq’s spouse) and the consequent construction of a Portuguese fortress there; in P. E. Pieris, Litt. D., “Ceylon and the Portuguese 1505-1658”, Chapter VII, pp. 132-133, American Ceylon Mission Press, Tellippalai, Ceylon, 1920.
- Chao, Tom (5 April 2007). "Mystery of Greek Amphitheater's Amazing Sound Finally Solved". LiveScience. Retrieved 2007-04-05.
- Vedantam, Shankar (9 April 2007). "Seating in Ancient Greek Theater Found to Help the Acoustics". Washington Post. Retrieved 2007-04-14.
- "No need to shout, Why the acoustics of ancient Greek theatres are so good". The Economist. 29 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-14.
- "ICA - Early Career Award - Past Recipients". International Commission for Acoustics. Retrieved 2014-05-28.
- "Members of ICU Board and of Young Scientist Advisory Committee YSAC" (PDF). International Congress on Ultrasonics.
- "Welcome message". 2015 International Congress on Ultrasonics.
- "Editorial Board". Acta Acustica united with Acustica. Retrieved 2014-05-28.
- "Editorial Board". Springer’s Journal on Nondestructive Evaluation. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- "Editorial Board". Physics in Medicine. Elsevier. Retrieved 2014-07-22.