Johnson playing for Alabama in 2012.
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||June 19, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Andalusia, Alabama|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||249 lb (113 kg)|
|High school:||Andalusia (AL)|
|NFL draft:||2013 / Round: 4 / Pick: 99|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2014|
Nico Johnson (born June 19, 1990) is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Alabama, where he was a member of National Championship teams in 2009, 2011, and 2012.
Johnson was born in Andalusia, Alabama. He attended Andalusia High School, where he played basketball under coach Richard Robertson, as well as football. He recorded 78 tackles, 32 assists, one fumble recovery, one blocked punt and 11 interceptions during his senior season. As a junior, he made 80 tackles and blocked one field goal attempt.
Johnson received ASWA first team All-State honors three consecutive times and was named to the Orlando Sentinel′s All-Southern Team and the Press Register′s Super Southeast 120 (No. 12). He also earned All-American honors by Parade, was a finalist for the High School Butkus Award, and was selected U.S. Army All-American Bowl, where he led the West squad with four solo tackles, including two tackles for loss.
Considered a five-star recruit by Rivals.com, Johnson was ranked as the No. 2 outside linebacker prospect, behind only Jelani Jenkins He has made numerous visits to Alabama and said one of the reasons he chose the Crimson Tide over finalists Oregon, Florida, Louisiana State and Southern California was to be near his mother, who suffered from diabetes. Johnson is now[when?] a contributor to the class of 2009 scholarship at Andalusia High School.
Johnson enrolled in the University of Alabama, where he played for coach Nick Saban's Alabama Crimson Tide football team from 2009 to 2012. As a true freshman in 2009, Johnson began the season as a backup, but soon had to step in for the injured Dont'a Hightower. He played in 12 games and made two starts at weak-side inside linebacker next to Rolando McClain. He earned freshman All-SEC selection by the league coaches and Sporting News after the 2009 season. Nico Johnson was part of 3 BCS National Championship teams ( 2009, 2011, 2012) while playing for the Crimson Tide.
College career statistics
- Correct as of completion of 2012 regular season.
Kansas City Chiefs
In the 2013 NFL Draft, Johnson was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs in the fourth round with the 99th overall draft pick. Johnson signed a 4-year, $2 million deal with the Chiefs. On August 30, 2014 he was released during final preseason roster cut downs. The next day he was signed to the Chiefs practice squad.
New York Giants
On April 12, 2016, the New York Giants waived Johnson with a failed physical designation.
- Rivals.com outside linebackers 2009, January 16, 2009
- Estes, Gentry (September 3, 2008), "Alabama adds prep star Nico Johnson", Mobile Press-Register
- Melick, Ray (August 5, 2009), "5 battles to watch as the Crimson Tide starts summer football practice", Birmingham News
- "Bengals pilfer Nico Johnson from Chiefs’ practice squad". Retrieved 2016-01-01.
- Harvey, Coley (August 31, 2015). "Receiver Denarius Moore among players released by Bengals". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- "9/25: Redskins Make Roster Moves". Redskins.com. September 25, 2015. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- "10/20: Redskins Make Roster Moves". Redskins.com. October 20, 2015. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- Eisen, Michael (November 10, 2015). "Giants add DT Montori Hughes to active roster; Johnathan Hankins to IR". Giants.com. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- "Nico Johnson eligible to play on Sunday after being activated by New York Giants". AL.com. Retrieved 2016-01-01.
- Kratch, James (April 12, 2016). "Giants cut linebacker Nico Johnson after failed physical". NJ.com. Retrieved June 16, 2016.