Castillo with Chile in 2016
|Full name||Nicolás Ignacio Castillo Mora|
|Date of birth||14 February 1993|
|Place of birth||Santiago, Chile|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
|2015||→ Mainz 05 (loan)||1||(0)|
|2015||→ Frosinone (loan)||6||(0)|
|2016||→ Universidad Católica (loan)||23||(24)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 7 May 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 24 March 2017
Castillo was born and raised in Renca, suburb of the capital Santiago. During his childhood he was part of Universidad Católica's supporter groups and later he joined the club's youth ranks aged 12.
In 2010, he made a goalscorer debut against San Pedro de Atacama football team for a cup game, sealing a 10–0 thrash of Católica after scoring the tenth and last goal of it. The same year he was named the year’s young player of the club.
Finally in 2011, he professionally debuted in a league game against Cobreloa coming on as an 84th-minute substitute during a 2–0 win. On 2 March 2012 Castillo scored his first competitive goal in a 2–0 win over Rangers, again for a league game.
As a result of his performance in the U20 World Cup, Castillo was linked with Premier League side Manchester United, where his compatriot Ángelo Henríquez was playing at the time. Despite the rumours surrounding his movement, a transfer never materialized.
In January 2014, Universidad Católica reached an agreement to sell Castillo to Belgian Pro League side Club Brugge The move became official as Castillo signed for a fee of €3 million on a deal until 2018. He scored in his debut for Club Brugge in a 3–1 win over Genk on 9 February 2014. He struggled to score again the same season, but did so during the play-offs in the last game of the season against Zulte Waregem, which Brugge winning 2–0.
On 9 November 2014, Castillo netted a hat-trick in Brugge's 5–0 home win over Westerlo. On 28 January, he was loaned to FSV Mainz 05 until the end of the season, with an option to buy. On 7 April, having only made one substitute appearance for the Bundesliga club, he was ruled out for the remainder of the season with damage to his right knee ligaments.
Castillo was listed in the 21 man squad in the FIFA U-20 World Cup. In the tournament, Castillo scored four goals, making him the top-scorer for Chile, including scoring an opener against Egypt.
In 2016, he was nominated in the 2016 Copa América squad and was part of the Chilean victory. He was subbed in the 104th minute of the final against Argentina, which Chile won 4–2 on penalties where he converted the 3rd spot kick.
- Universidad Católica
- Primera División de Chile (2): Torneo Clausura 2015–16, Torneo Apertura 2016-17
- Copa Chile (1): 2011
- Supercopa de Chile (1): 2016
- Club Brugge
- Profile at Pumas UNAM
- Lagos Barahona, Felipe (23 June 2012). "De la galeria a la cancha Nicolás Castillo el delantero de la UC que juega "como hincha"". Emol. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Nace el Ibra Chileno". Goal,com. 1 February 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Nicolás Castillo, el mejor de los mejores". Cruzados.cl. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- UNIVERSIDAD CATÓLICA VS. COBRELOA 2 - 0
- UNIVERSIDAD CATÓLICA VS. RANGERS 2 - 0
- "Transfer news: No Man Utd bids yet for Chile U20 striker Nicolas Castillo". Sky Sports. 16 July 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Cruzados heeft principe-akkoord met Club Brugge over "Chileense Ibrahimovic"". Nieuwsblad. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Club Brugge betaalt drie miljoen euro voor Castillo". Nieuwsblad. 27 January 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "krcgenk 1 - 3 club brugge kv". Nieuwsblad. 9 February 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Club sluit seizoen af met 2-0 zege tegen Zulte Waregem". Official Website of Club Brugge. 18 May 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Sterk Club Brugge legt ook Westerlo over de knie" [Strong Club Brugge puts Westerlo on its knees]. Sporza (in Dutch). 9 November 2014. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Castillo joins on loan from Brugge". FSV Mainz 05. 28 January 2015. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Nicolás Castillo se pierde el resto de la temporada en el Mainz" [Nicolás Castillo to miss rest of season for Mainz] (in Spanish). La Tercera. 7 April 2015. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Mundial Sub 20 Turquía 2013: Chile presentó lista de convocados". La Nueve. 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- "Egypt lose to Chile in opening Under-20 group match". BBC Sport. 23 June 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- PERU VS. CHILE 1 - 0