Nicolás Sánchez (footballer, born 1986)
|Full name||Nicolás Gabriel Sánchez|
|Date of birth||4 February 1986|
|Place of birth||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 02:06, 3 May 2019 (UTC)|
Born in the Mataderos neighborhood of Buenos Aires, Sánchez began playing football as a midfielder in Boca Juniors' youth system. He became a professional with Nueva Chicago, with whom he made his debut in the 2003–04 Argentine Primera División, on 26 June 2004 against Independente. Nueva Chicago was relegated soon after, and Sánchez continued to be part of the club's first team during the next two seasons in the Primera B Nacional. In early 2006, Nueva Chicago's manager Rodolfo Motta converted Sánchez to a centre back following an injury to the club's regular defender, and within six months the club was promoted to the Primera División for the 2006–07 season.
After Nueva Chicago was relegated again at the end of the 2006–07 season, Sánchez joined rivals River Plate for the 2007–08 season. River Plate would win the Clausura 2008 during his tenure with the club. However, Sánchez struggled with injuries, missing almost a year with a broken bone in his foot, and in 2010, after River Plate re-appointed manager, Ángel Cappa, and Sánchez left the club for Godoy Cruz on a free transfer.
Racing Club's manager Diego Cocca signed Sánchez on 1 July 2014. Racing had narrowly avoided relegation in the prior season, and Sánchez would become a key part of Racing's defense as the club bounced back to win the Primera División title.
- River Plate
- Racing Club
- Liga MX Best XI: Apertura 2017
- CONCACAF Champions League Golden Ball: 2019
- CONCACAF Champions League Best XI: 2019
- Estevez, Martín (7 January 2016). "Nicolás Sánchez, a defender el prestigio" [Nicolás Sánchez, a prestigious defender] (in Spanish). El Gráfico.
- "Nicolás Sánchez: "En un club como éste las exigencias son grandes"" [Nicolás Sánchez: "In a club like this, the demands are great"] (in Spanish). La Nación. 22 July 2014.
- "Nico Sánchez: en Racing "la bandera ahora la llevará Lisandro"" [Nico Sánchez: in Racing, "Lisandro will carry the armband"] (in Spanish). Télam. 25 June 2016.
- "Best Player 2019". CONCACAF.com. 2 May 2019.
- g.carrillo (2 May 2019). "Tigres y Rayados 'empatan' en once ideal de Concachampions". www.record.com.mx (in Spanish). Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Argentine Primera statistics at Fútbol XXI (in Spanish)