|Variations of the given name|
Nicola is a Latinised version of the Greek personal name Nikolaos (Νικόλαος), derived from Nikos meaning "victory", and laos meaning "people", therefore implying the meaning "Victory of the people". The English form of the same name is Nicholas. Nicola was a frequently given male personal name among the traditional Italian nobility, and was used often in the Middle Ages.
In the UK and Germany, the male form Nicola has been used as a female name, which originally came from incorrectly presuming the name's vowel ending "a" was the female form, as has also occurred with the male given name Andrea. The female form of Nicola in Italian is Nicoletta. Less commonly, the name is spelled "Nichola". Other forms of the female name in other languages include Nicole or Nicolette in French, Nikolett or Nikoletta in Hungarian.
- 21 March and 10 September (Hungary)
- 29 August (Slovakia)
- 20 November (Czech Republic)
- 6 December (Bulgaria, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Latvia)
People with the name
- Nicola Benedetti, Scottish classic violinist
- Nicola Conte, Italian DJ and producer
- Nicola Luisotti, Italian musician
- Nicola Di Bari, Italian singer-songwriter
- Nicola Piovani, classical musician
- Nicola Roberts, British popstar, member of Girls Aloud
- Nicola Adams, English boxer
- Nicola Amoruso, Italian football player
- Nicola Berti, Italian football player
- Nicola Boem, Italian road cyclist
- Nicola Fairbrother, British judoka
- Nicola Larini, racing driver
- Nicola Legrottaglie, Italian football player
- Nicola Pozzi, Italian football player
- Nicola Rizzoli, Italian football referee
- Nicola Smith, English bridge player
- Nicola Smith (footballer), New Zealand football player
- Nicola Walker, British actress
- Nicola Philippaerts, Belgian show jumping rider
- Nicola Filippo, American artist
- Nicola Griffith, a British author
- Nicola Jackson (artist), New Zealand artist
- Nicola Pagett, English actress
- Nicola Peltz, American actress
- Nicola Pisano, Italian sculptor
- Nicolà Rescigno, opera conductor
- Nicola Tappenden (born 1982), British glamour model
- Nikola Tesla, the famous inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist
- Nicola de la Haie, English landowner and military administrator
- Chief Nicola, important First Nations political figure in the fur trade era of British Columbia, Canada
- Nicola Calipari, Italian military intelligence officer with the rank of major general.
- Nicola Edgington, British murderer
- Nicolò Licata, Italian-American mobster
- Nicola Mendelsohn, British advertising executive
- Nicola Rubinstein, fictional character on the ITV soap opera "Coronation Street".
- Nicola Sacco, Italian-American anarchist
- Nicola Shulman, British biographer
- Nicola Sturgeon, Scottish National Party politician and First Minister of Scotland
- Nicola King, fictional character on the ITV soap opera Emmerdale.
People with the surname
- Carlos Nicola (born 1973), Uruguayan former footballer
- Davide Nicola (born 1973), Italian football manager and retired player
- Enrico De Nicola (1877-1959), Italian jurist, journalist, politician and provisional Head of State of republican Italy from 1946 to 1948
- Isaac Nicola (1916-1997), Cuban guitarist
- Lewis Nicola, (1717-1807) Irish-American military officer, Colonel of the Invalid Corps of the Continental army during the Revolutionary War. Often mistakenly given as the author of the Newburgh Addresses.
- Marcelo Nicola (born 1971), Argentine-Italian basketball coach and retired player
|given name or the same family name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|
- An excellent reference for the name form and the legend of Saint Nicolaus is The Golden Legend or Lives of the Saints, compiled by Jacobus de Voragine, Archbishop of Genoa, 1275. First Edition Published 1470.