|Nicolaas Johan Nieuwoudt
SSA SD SM
23 October 1929|
Louisvale, Northern Cape
|Died||22 November 1989(aged 60)|
|Service/branch||South African Military Health Service|
|Years of service||1960-1988|
|Relations||Ina Pretorius (Wife)|
Lieutenant-General Nicolaas Nieuwoudt MBChB SSA SD SM (1929–1989) was a South African military commander. A medical doctor, he joined the South African Air Force's medical branch in 1960, after five years private practise. He commanded the South African Medical Service, as Surgeon-General, from 1977 to 1988. The SAMS was upgraded to rank equally with the Army, Air Force, and Navy in 1979.
He obtained a medical degree from the University of Pretoria
Honours and awards
He was awarded the following medals and decorations:
- 1985 – Star of South Africa (SSA)
- 1980 – Southern Cross Decoration (SD)
- 1964 – Southern Cross Medal (SM)
- 1984 – Pro Patria Medal
- Uys, Ian (1992). South African Military Who's Who 1452-1992. Fortress Publishers. p. 169. ISBN 0-9583173-3-X.
- "Nicolaas Johan Nieuwoudt" (PDF). archive.samj.org.za. 3 February 1990. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Die Sago - sy Onstastan en Ontwikkeling". scientiamilitaria.journals.ac.za. 1982. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
Militaria - Official Professional Journal of the SADF (Vol 12/2: 1982)
Petrus J.V.E. Pretorius
|Commissioner General Lebowa
1988 – 1989
J. Martin Koekemoer
|Chief of the South African Medical Service
1977 – 1988
|This biographical article related to the South African military is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|