|Nicolaas Johan Nieuwoudt
SSA SD SM
23 October 1929|
Louisvale, Northern Cape
|Died||22 November 1989(aged 60)|
|Service/branch||South African Military Health Service|
|Years of service||1960-1988|
|Relations||Ina Pretorius (Wife)|
Lieutenant-General Nicolaas Nieuwoudt MBChB SSA SD SM (1929–1989) was a South African military commander. A medical doctor, he joined the South African Air Force's medical branch in 1960, after five years private practise. He commanded the South African Medical Service, as Surgeon-General, from 1977 to 1988. The SAMS was upgraded to rank equally with the Army, Air Force, and Navy in 1979.
He obtained a medical degree from the University of Pretoria
Honours and awards
He was awarded the following medals and decorations:
- 1985 – Star of South Africa (SSA)
- 1980 – Southern Cross Decoration (SD)
- 1964 – Southern Cross Medal (SM)
- 1984 – Pro Patria Medal
- Uys, Ian (1992). South African Military Who's Who 1452-1992. Fortress Publishers. p. 169. ISBN 0-9583173-3-X.
- http://archive.samj.org.za/1990%20VOL%20LXXVII%20Jan-Jun/Articles/02%20February/1.17%20OBITUARIES%20-%20DR%20NICOLAAS%20JOHAN%20NIEUWOUDT,%20DR%20JOHANNES%20ANTONI%20ERASMUS%20AND%20DR%20REGINALD%20REMZI-B.pdf archive.samj.org.za Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Obituary" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- DIE SAGD - SY ONTSTAAN EN ONTWIKKELING | Pretorius | Scientia Militaria - South African Journal of Military Studies
Militaria - Official Professional Journal of the SADF (Vol 12/2: 1982)
|Chief of the South African Medical Service
1977 – 1988
|This biographical article related to the South African military is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|