Nicolas Tadeusz Courtois
|Alma mater||University of Paris VI: Pierre et Marie Curie|
|Known for||Cryptography, security|
|Institutions||University College London|
Courtois was one of the co-authors of both the XSL attack against block ciphers, such as the Advanced Encryption Standard, and the XL system for solving systems of algebraic equations used in the attack. Other cryptographic results of Courtois include algebraic attacks on stream ciphers, attacks on the KeeLoq and Hitag 2 systems used for remote keyless automobile entry systems, and an analysis of cryptographic weaknesses in public transit smart cards including the London Underground Oyster card and the Dutch OV-chipkaart. More recently, he has written about cryptocurrency.
- Nicolas T. Courtois at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Staff profile". UCL. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- Courtois, Nicolas T.; Pieprzyk, Josef (2002), "Cryptanalysis of block ciphers with overdefined systems of equations", Advances in Cryptology – AsiaCrypt 2002, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2501, Springer-Verlag, pp. 267–287, doi:10.1007/3-540-36178-2_17.
- Greene, Thomas C. (September 16, 2002), New AES crypto standard broken already? Depends who you ask, The Register.
- Courtois, Nicolas; Klimov, Alexander; Patarin, Jacques; Shamir, Adi (2000), "Efficient algorithms for solving overdefined systems of multivariate polynomial equations", Advances in Cryptology – EuroCrypt 2000, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1807, Springer-Verlag, pp. 392–407, doi:10.1007/3-540-45539-6_27.
- Courtois, Nicolas T. (2003), "Fast algebraic attacks on stream ciphers with linear feedback", Advances in Cryptology – Crypto 2003, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2729, Springer-Verlag, pp. 176–194, doi:10.1007/978-3-540-45146-4_11.
- Blincoe, Robert (July 28, 2008), Oyster cracker vows to clone cards: Cloning kit could sell for just £200, says researcher, v3.co.uk.
- Charlesworth, Andrew (June 23, 2008), Researchers crack Oyster card security, v3.co.uk.
- de Winter, Brenno (April 18, 2008), "Weer nieuwe kraak chip OV-chipkaart", WebWereld (in Dutch).
- "Emerging Technology From the arXiv". MIT Technology Review. 17 May 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
On The Longest Chain Rule and Programmed Self-Destruction of Crypto Currencies