Nicolas Froment (c. 1435, Uzès, Gard – c. 1486 in Avignon) was a French painter of the Early Renaissance. Nicolas Froment is one of the most notable representatives of the Second School of Avignon, (École d'Avignon), a group of artists at the court of the Popes in Avignon, who were located there from 1309 to 1411, in Avignon.
He undertook to paint an altarpiece 12 February 1470 in Aix for a rich widow called Catherine Spifami; in the center of the panel is a depicting the Death of Mary, and on the side panels, the Saints Mary Magdalene and Catherine are shown. He was attributed a number of works from this timetime, but none of these attributions can be considered reliable.
One of the most interesting work of this group is the Retable des Pérussis or The Pérussis Altarpiece , depicts the adoration of the empty cross on Golgatha, and is located at the Metropolitan Museum in New York.
- The Resurrection of Lazarus, triptych, (1461), Florence, Galleria degli Uffizi.
- The Matheron Diptych, (v.1475), oil on canvas, 17 x 26 cm, Paris, Musée du Louvre.
- Le Buisson ardent, triptych, (1475-1476), tempera on wood, 410 x 305 cm, Aix-en-Provence, cathédrale Saint-Sauveur.
- The Legend of Saint Mitre, (about 1470), oil on wood, Aix-en-Provence, cathédrale Saint-Sauveur.
Circle of Nicolas Froment, The Pérussis Altarpiece, The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Nicolas-Froment "Nicolas-Froment" Check
|url=value (help). global.britannica.com. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- [painting.http://www.virtualuffizi.com/nicholas-froment.html "uffizi nicholas-froment"]. www.virtualuffizi.com. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "encyclopedie/nicolas-froment French". www.universalis.fr. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "Le culte de saint Honorat en Provence /Le_culte_de_saint_Honorat_en_Provence_et_les_pratiques_devotionnelles_sur_lile_sacree_de_Lerins_XIIIe-debut_du_XVIe_siecle_2009". www.academia.edu. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "The Pérussis Altarpiece". www.metmuseum.org. Retrieved 8 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nicolas Froment.|
|This article about a French painter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|