February 5, 1997|
Amos, Quebec, Canada
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||207 lb (94 kg; 14 st 11 lb)|
Vegas Golden Knights|
96th overall, 2015|
Nicolas Roy (born February 5, 1997) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player. He is currently under contract with the Vegas Golden Knights of the National Hockey League (NHL). Roy was drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes, 96th overall, in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.
Roy was selected first overall by the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles at the 2013 QMJHL Entry Draft, but his refusal to join the Screaming Eagles resulted in the Cape Breton team trading him to the Chicoutimi Saguenéens in exchange for Chicoutimi’s first round picks in the 2014, 2015 and 2016 QMJHL drafts. As a result of Roy's decision to not play for his draft team, in advance of the 2014 QMJHL Entry Draft, the QMJHL made a rule change concerning the protocol for compensatory draft picks in the event of a non-reporting player.
On April 9, 2016, Roy was signed to a three-year, entry-level contract with the Carolina Hurricanes. He made his NHL debut on April 7, 2018 in the last game of the Hurricanes season. Roy began the 2018–19 season in the American Hockey League but was called up to the NHL on October 23.
Regular season and playoffs
Awards and honours
|CHL Top Prospects Game||2015|
|First All-Star Team||2016, 2017|
|Guy Carbonneau Trophy||2017|
|Calder Cup (Charlotte Checkers)||2019|||
- "Nicolas Roy, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles standoff intensifies". Yahoo! Sports. August 10, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- "QMJHL No. 1 pick Roy reportedly dealt to Sagueneens for three first round picks". Yahoo! Sports. May 6, 2014. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- "QMJHL makes small changes to rules ahead of 2014–15 season, try to avoid another Roy fiasco". Yahoo! Sports. July 1, 2014. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "Canes sign Nicolas Roy to entry-level contract". Carolina Hurricanes. April 9, 2016. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Smith, Michael (April 7, 2018). "Roy to Make NHL Debut in Canes' Season Finale". NHL.com. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "Canes Recall Roy, Reassign Bishop to AHL". NHL.com. October 23, 2018. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "VGK acquires Nicolas Roy and conditional 5th round pick from Carolina". Vegas Golden Knights. June 26, 2019. Retrieved June 26, 2019.
- "Check and Mate! Charlotte wins Calder Cup". American Hockey League. June 8, 2019. Retrieved June 8, 2019.
- Biographical information and career statistics from Eliteprospects.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian ice hockey centre born in the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|