|Known for||Poet and novelist|
Nicole Brossard French-Canadian formalist poet and novelist. Her work is known for exploration of feminist themes and for challenging masculine-oriented language and points of view in French literature.(born November 27, 1943) is a leading
Brossard was born in Montreal, Quebec. She attended Collège Marguerite Bourgeoys and the Université de Montréal.
Brossard wrote her first collection in 1965, Aube à la saison. The collection L'Echo bouge beau marked a break in the evolution of her poetry that included an open and active participation in many literary and cultural events, including poetry recitals.
In 1975, she participated in a meeting of writers on women, after which she began to take an activist role in the feminist movement, and to write poetry with a more personal and subjective tone. Her writing includes sensual, aesthetic and feminist political content.
Brossard co-founded a feminist newspaper, Les têtes de pioches, with France Théoret. She wrote a play Le nef des sorcières (first performed in 1976).
In 1982, she founded a publishing house: L'Intégrale éditrice. Brossard's poetry collection, Double Impression, won the 1984 Governor General's Award. In 1987 her romance novel, Le désert mauve, was published.
- 1974: Governor General's Award for Poetry
- 1984: Governor General's Award for Poetry
- 1991: Prix Athanase-David
- 1991: Harbour Festival Prize
- 2019: America Award in Literature for a lifetime contribution to international writing
- Aube à la saison - 1965
- Mordre en sa chair - 1966
- L'écho bouge beau - 1968
- Suite logique - 1970
- Un livre - 1970 (translated in English as A Book)
- Le centre blanc - 1970
- Mécanique jongleuse - 1974 (translated in English as Day-Dream Mechanics; winner of the 1974 Governor General's Award for Poetry)
- La partie pour le tout - 1975
- Sold-Out, étreinte / illustration - (1973) 1977
- L'amèr ou le Chapitre effrité - 1977(translated in English as These Our Mothers)
- French kiss, étreinte / exploration - (1974) 1979
- Les sens apparent - 1980 (translated in English as Surfaces of Sense)
- Amantes - 1980 (translated in English as Lovhers; nominated for a Governor General's Award)
- Journal intime - 1984
- Double impression - 1984 (winner of the 1984 Governor General's Award for Poetry)
- Domaine d'écriture - 1985
- La lettre aérienne - 1985 (translated in English as The Aerial Letter)
- Le désert mauve - 1987 (translated in English as Mauve Desert)
- L'amer - 1988
- Installations: avec sans pronoms - 1989
- A tout regard - 1989
- La nuit verte du parc labyrinthe - 1992
- Langues obscures - 1992
- Baroque d'aube - 1995 (translated in English as Baroque at Dawn)
- Vertige de l'avant-scène - 1997 (nominated for a Governor General's Award)
- Au présent des veins - 1999
- Musée de l'os et de l'eau - 1999 (translated into English as Museum of Bone and Water; nominated for a Governor General's Award;)
- Hier - 2001 (translated in English as Yesterday, at the Hotel Clarendon)
- Cahier de roses & de civilisation - 2003 (nominated for a Governor General's Award)
- English translations
- These Our Mothers- 1983; translated by Barbara Godard
- Baroque at Dawn - 1997
- Museum of Bone and Water - 2005
- Fluid Arguments - 2005
- Yesterday, at the Hotel Clarendon - 2006
- Picture Theory - 2006
- Mauve Desert - 2006
- Notebook of Roses and Civilization - 2007; translation by Robert Majzels and Erín Moure, shortlisted for the 2008 Canadian Griffin Poetry Prize
- Fences in Breathing - 2009
- Nicole Brossard: Selections - 2010; edited by Jennifer Moxley for the series: Poets for the Millennium from University of California Press
- White Piano - 2013; translation by Robert Majzels and Erín Moure, shortlisted for the 2014 Best Translated Book Award
- Canadian literature
- Canadian poetry
- List of Canadian poets
- List of Canadian writers
- List of Quebec writers
- Susan Knutson (1 January 2006). Narrative in the Feminine: Daphne Marlatt and Nicole Brossard. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0-88920-742-4.
- Thomas O. Beebee (2008). Nation and Region in Modern American and European Fiction. Purdue University Press. pp. 153–. ISBN 978-1-55753-498-9.
- Charlotte Sturgess (2003). Redefining the Subject: Sites of Play in Canadian Women's Writing. Rodopi. pp. 89–. ISBN 90-420-1175-0.
- Marie J. Carrière (2002). Writing in the Feminine in French and English Canada: A Question of Ethics. University of Toronto Press. pp. 61–. ISBN 978-0-8020-3620-9.
- Jean Royer (1996). Interviews to Literature. Guernica Editions. pp. 143–. ISBN 978-1-55071-008-3.
- Miléna Santoro (2002). Mothers of Invention: Feminist Authors and Experimental Fiction in France and Quebec. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP. pp. 153–. ISBN 978-0-7735-2487-3.
- Eamon Maher (2005). Un regard en arrière vers la littérature d'expression française du XXe siècle: questions d'identité et de marginalité : actes du colloque de Tallaght. Presses Univ. Franche-Comté. pp. 85–. ISBN 978-2-84867-107-9.
- Eva C. Karpinski; Jennifer Henderson; Ian Sowton; Ray Ellenwood (30 October 2013). Trans/acting Culture, Writing, and Memory: Essays in Honour of Barbara Godard. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press. pp. 206–. ISBN 978-1-55458-862-6.
- Présence francophone. Centre d'étude des littératures d'expression française. 1995. p. 164.
- Nicole Brossard's entry in The Canadian Encyclopedia
- "Nicole Brossard en sept questions". La Presse, 18 November 2010
- Fonds Nicole Brossard (MSS232) - Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ)
- Fonds Nicole Brossard (R11718) - Library and Archives Canada
- "2019 - Nicole Brossard". Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- Klaus Kaindl; Karlheinz Spitzl (28 January 2014). Transfiction: Research into the realities of translation fiction. John Benjamins Publishing Company. pp. 184–. ISBN 978-90-272-7073-3.
- Chad W. Post (April 14, 2014). "2014 Best Translated Book Awards: Poetry Finalists". Three Percent. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Gould, Karen (1990), "Nicole Brossard", in Gould, Karen (ed.), Writing in the feminine: feminism and experimental writing in Quebec, Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press, ISBN 9780809315826
- Griffin Poetry Prize biography, including audio and video clips
- EPC and PennSound link
- The Literary Encyclopedia
- Nicole Brossard Bio
- Fine Feminist Workings Susan Rudy's review of Nicole Brossard: Essays on Her Works, by Louise H. Forsyth; published by Guernica Editions in 2005
- Fonds Nicole Brossard (R11718) at Library and Archives Canada