Fiorentino at The Key Club on Sunset on 21 July 2007
|Birth name||Nicole Margaret Fiorentino|
7 April 1979 |
Ludlow, Massachusetts, United States
|Associated acts||The Smashing Pumpkins, Veruca Salt, The Cold and Lovely, Light FM, Radio Vago, Spinnerette, Twilight Sleep|
Nicole Margaret Fiorentino (born 7 April 1979) is an American bass guitarist. Originally a touring member of the alternative rock band The Smashing Pumpkins (replacing Ginger Pooley and her temporary replacement Mark Tulin), she became an official member in 2010. She performs on the band's albums Teargarden by Kaleidyscope (2009) and Oceania (2012). Fiorentino departed the band in 2014.
Fiorentino was born in Ludlow, Massachusetts. Prior to joining the Smashing Pumpkins, she was a member of Radio Vago, Chicago alternative act Veruca Salt, Spinnerette, Twilight Sleep, and Light FM, the last of which opened for Billy Corgan's one-off band Backwards Clock Society in November 2009.
Within a 17 February 2011 post on Smashing Pumpkins' Facebook page, Fiorentino claimed she was one of the girls on the cover of the Pumpkins' 1993 album Siamese Dream. Although it was received by many fans to have been in jest, several news sources and a portion of the fan community believed this to be a genuine claim. Rolling Stone suggested that Corgan had "decided to pull a Twitter prank". Former SmashingPumpkins.com webmaster, Paul Friemel, later claimed that both cover models had been located in 2007 and that neither was Fiorentino.
In 2010, Fiorentino began working with Meghan Toohey under the group name The Cold and Lovely. In 2012 their debut album was released after it was funded through Kickstarter. The album produced one single and video for the song "Not With Me" released on 24 April. The following year, on 24 September 2013, The Cold and Lovely released their sophomore record entitled "Ellis Bell EP".
In October 2013, Australian art rock band The Red Paintings announced Fiorentino would be performing with them as part of their new 'Wasps' stage show premiere live on AXS TV, 7 October.
Fiorentino spent most of 2014 working with The Cold and Lovely. The group played a SXSW tour, supporting the re-release their Ellis Bell EP. They recorded a follow-up EP with new songs. They went on a summer tour of the U.S. East Coast. In May 2014, Fiorentino provided backing vocals to London band, The Microdance's début album New Waves of Hope. In the fall of 2014, Fiorentino joined the band Night Terrors of 1927 on their fall tour. In September 2014, Corgan stated in an interview with AlternativeNation.net that both Fiorentino and bandmate Mike Byrne were no longer members of The Smashing Pumpkins, citing different levels of commitment to the Smashing Pumpkins. However, Fiorentino and Corgan remain on amicable terms.
Since 2012, Fiorentino has been married to her bandmate Meghan Toohey. Fiorentino, who identifies as lesbian, did not publicly disclose her sexuality until 2015, saying "The whole time I was in the Smashing Pumpkins, I was very vocal about my feelings on gay rights, but I never discussed it in terms of my own experiences. I just wasn’t ready at that point for my own reasons."
With The Smashing Pumpkins
With Cold and Lovely
- The Cold and Lovely (2012)
- Ellis Bell EP (2013)
With The Microdance
- New Waves of Hope (2015)
With Veruca Salt
- IV (2006)
With Light FM
- Let There Be Light FM (2009)
- Buzz Kill City (2011)
- "The Smashing Pumpkins Announce New Member, Bassist Nicole Fiorentino Archived 15 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.". Press release. SmashingPumpkins.com. 10 May 2010.
- Goodman, William. "Smashing Pumpkins Reveal New Band Member". Spin Magazine Online. 11 May 2010.
- Various Authors."Bassist Nicole Was on Cover of Siamese Dream – Netphoria Message Board". Thread on fansite forum. Netphoria.com. 2011-18-02.
- "Nicole one of the SD Girls? – The Smashing Pumpkins Forum". Archived from the original on 28 April 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- Gomez, Ricardo; Mapes, Jillian; Peoples, Glen; Rutherford, Kevin."Billboard Bits: Paramore Eyes Summertime for New Music, Pete Wentz ?Couldn?t Trust? Ashlee Simpson | Billboard.com". Online. Billboard.com. 2011-18-02.
- Greene, Andy."Is the New Smashing Pumpkins Bassist on the Cover Of 'Siamese Dream'? | Rolling Stone Music". Online. Rolling Stone.com. 2011-18-02.
- "Pumpkins' former employee: We found "Siamese Dream" girls in '07 « Hipsters United". Archived from the original on 28 February 2011. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- "Deluxe EP: Ellis Bell Video and interview w/ artist/director Katelan Foisy. Pledgers only!". PledgeMusic.com. 19 May 2014. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- "Nicole Fiorentino". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 11 February 2015. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Alexander, Anne. "The Cold and Lovely’s Nicole Fiorentino and Meghan Toohey are a married couple who sound oh-so-good together". AfterEllen.com. 4 February 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nicole Fiorentino.|