Nicole Brown Simpson
|Nicole Brown Simpson|
Brown in 1993
May 19, 1959
Frankfurt, West Germany
|Died||June 12, 1994
Brentwood, Los Angeles, U.S.
|Cause of death||Stabbing|
|Resting place||Ascension Cemetery
Lake Forest, California
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Other names||Nicole Brown|
|Education||Rancho Alamitos High School (Freshman/Sophomore Year)
Dana Hills High School (Junior/Senior Year)
|Spouse(s)||O. J. Simpson (m. 1985–92)|
|Children||Sydney Simpson (b. 1985) Justin Simpson (b. 1988)|
Nicole Brown Simpson (May 19, 1959 – June 12, 1994) was the ex-wife of professional football player O. J. Simpson. She was killed at her home in Brentwood, Los Angeles, California, along with her friend, restaurant waiter Ronald Lyle Goldman.
Early life and education
Brown was born May 19, 1959 in Frankfurt, West Germany, to Juditha Anne (Baur) and Louis Hezekiel Brown. Her mother was German and her father was American. She attended Rancho Alamitos High School in Garden Grove, California and Dana Hills High School in Dana Point, California.
Relationship with O. J. Simpson
Brown met O. J. Simpson in 1977 while working as a waitress at Jack Hanson's Beverly Hills / Rodeo Drive nightclub "The Daisy". Although he was still married to his first wife Marguerite, Simpson and Brown began dating. Simpson and Marguerite divorced in March 1979. Brown and Simpson were married on February 2, 1985, five years after his retirement from professional football. The couple had two children, Sydney Brooke Simpson (born October 17, 1985) and Justin Ryan Simpson (born August 6, 1988). The marriage lasted seven years, during which Simpson pleaded no contest to spousal abuse in 1989. Brown filed for divorce on February 25, 1992 citing "irreconcilable differences".
On the evening of June 12, 1994, at the age of 35, Brown was killed at her home in Los Angeles, California, along with her friend, restaurant waiter Ronald Lyle Goldman. Brown had been stabbed multiple times in the head and neck and had defensive wounds on her hands. The wound through her neck was gaping, through which the larynx could be seen, and vertebra C3 was also incised. O. J. Simpson was arrested and found not guilty in a controversial criminal trial. He was later found liable for the deaths in a civil suit brought by the two victims' families.
In 1996, after the conclusion of the O. J. Simpson murder case, a judge granted Simpson's petition to give him full custody of his children. Brown's parents continued unsuccessfully to fight for custody.
- "In the news: Nicole Brown Simpson, July 3, 1994: Dreams of Better Days Died That Night". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. 2008-10-04. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Juditha Brown Recounts Daughter's Last Day - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 1996-12-07. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Schindehette, Susan. "To Live and Die in L.A. - Murder, Nicole Brown Simpson". People.com. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "CNN O.J. Simpson Trial News: The Victims". Cnn.com. 1985-02-02. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Cici Shahian | Nicole Simpson was dominated by her husband since she was a teen-ager - Baltimore Sun". Articles.baltimoresun.com. 1994-07-06. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Taylor Gibbs, Jewelle (1996). Race and Justice: Rodney King and O. J. Simpson in a House Divided. Jossey-Bass. pp. 126–28. ISBN 0-7879-0264-0.
- Lange, Tom; Moldea, Dan E.; Vannatter, Philip (1997). Evidence Dismissed: The Inside Story of the Police Investigation of O. J. Simpson. Pocket Books. p. 115. ISBN 0-671-00959-1.
- "Child custody decision". courttv.com. Retrieved 2009-03-10.
- "Judge Allow Evidence of Domestic Violence In O. J. Simpson Murder Case". Jet 87 (13): 51. 1995-02-06. ISSN 0021-5996.
- Taylor Gibbs, Jewelle (1996). Race and Justice: Rodney King and O. J. Simpson in a House Divided. Jossey-Bass. p. 136. ISBN 0-7879-0264-0.
- Sumayah Aamir (Jul 7, 2014). "Nicole Brown Simpson's Father Dies 20 Years After Her Murder~". i4u News. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Jury unanimous: Simpson is liable". CNN. February 4, 1997. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- "Court: Simpson Still Liable For $33.5M Judgment". NBC5.com. February 21, 2008. Archived from the original on Oct 9, 2008. Retrieved June 16, 2008.
- Reza, H.G. (1999-11-04). "The Brown Foundation Cuts Back on Giving". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2009-03-10.
- Goldberg, Carey (1996-12-26). "Simpson Wins Custody Fight For 2 Children by Slain Wife". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-10.
- Morello, Caro (21 December 1996). "Judge Awards O.j. Simpson Custody Of His Children They Had Lived With Louis And Juditha Brown For 2 1/2 Years. The Couple Said They Feared For The Safety Of Their Grandchildren.". Philly.com (Philadelphia Inquirer). Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- "World: Americas OJ faces further battle over child custody". BBC News. 11 November 1998. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- Court TV's complete coverage of the O. J. Simpson murder case
- Nicole Brown Simpson at the Internet Movie Database
- Nicole Brown Foundation
- Nicole Brown Simpson at Find a Grave