|Born||Nicolaas Hubertus Holzken|
December 16, 1983
|Other names||The Natural|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||77.1 kg (170 lb; 12.14 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Helmond, Netherlands|
|Team||Team Holzken Helmond|
|Professional boxing record|
|Boxing record from BoxRec|
last updated on: Juli 15, 2017
Nicolaas Hubertus Holzken (born December 16, 1983) is a Dutch super middleweight kickboxer and professional boxer. He is the former Glory Welterweight Champion. In 2015 Kickboxing Planet voted him the Kickboxer of the Year. As of April 2021, he is ranked the #7 welterweight in the world by Combat Press.
In 2018, Holzken participated in the World Boxing Super Series as a substitute.
Biography and career
Nieky Holzken made his K-1 debut on November 26, 2006 at K-1 World MAX North European Qualification in Stockholm, Sweden. He won the tournament by three consecutive KO's over Björn Kjöllerström, Joakim Karlsson and Elias Daniel. The win qualified him for the K-1 World MAX 2007 Final Elimination, where he was matched up against the reigning K-1 MAX champion Buakaw Por. Pramuk. He lost the fight by unanimous decision.
He was to fight at SLAMM!! - Soema na Basi IV: Londt vs. Adegbuyi in Paramaribo, Suriname on August 8, 2013 but withdrew for undisclosed reasons.
He was initially scheduled to fight Marc de Bonte in the Glory 13: Tokyo - Welterweight World Championship Tournament semi-finals in Tokyo, Japan on December 21, 2013 but his opponent was then changed to Karapet Karapetyan who he had previously fought and beat in February 2012 by decision. He knocked Karapetyan down in rounds one and two en route to a clear unanimous decision win before facing Joseph Valtellini in the final. In a back-and-forth fight where both pressed forward, landing powerful but technical punches and kicks, Holzken scored a TKO in the dying seconds of the third and final round to be crowned the inaugural Glory World Welterweight (-77.1 kg/170 lb) Tournament Champion.
He was set to fight for the inaugural Glory Welterweight Championship against Marc de Bonte at Glory 14: Zagreb in Zagreb, Croatia on March 8, 2014 but the fight was cancelled when he suffered a shoulder injury in a car accident. The match was rescheduled for Glory 16: Denver in Broomfield, Colorado, US on May 3, 2014 but his lingering shoulder injury again forced him out, and he was replaced by Karapet Karapetyan.
On February 6, 2015, Holzken was part of a one-night, four-man welterweight tournament at Glory 19 to determine who would get the next title shot. In the semifinals, he faced Alexander Stetsurenko and won via unanimous decision. In the finals, he faced Raymond Daniels and won via TKO in the third round.
On April 16, 2016, he defeated Yoann Kongolo. After the match-up Holzken expressed his desire to in-ring commentator Joseph Valtellini that he wished to face him again.
Since 2013, Holzken had competed in professional boxing alongside his kickboxing career, but in February 2018 he got the biggest opportunity in the sport when he stepped in at late notice to face Callum Smith in the World Boxing Super Series super-middleweight tournament. The Dutchman was 13-0 coming in, and Smith 23-0. Smith took the win by unanimous decision, and then went on to KO George Groves in the final.
He would challenge Regian Eersel for the inaugural ONE Lightweight Kickboxing World Championship at ONE Championship: Enter the Dragon in May 2019 and lose via unanimous decision. The two would rematch for the title in October 2019 at ONE Championship: Dawn of Valor, but Holzken lost again via unanimous decision.
It was announced that Nieky Holzken would face Elliot Compton at ONE Championship: Big Bang 2 on December 11, 2020. It was also revealed that Holzken had signed a six-fight contract extension with ONE after his original contract expired. Holzken knocked Compton out in the first round, with a liver shot.
- Bloody Elbow.com
- 2013 Glory Welterweight (-77 kg/169.8 lb) World Championship Tournament Champion
- 2015 Glory Welterweight (-77 kg/169.8 lb) Contender Tournament Winner
- Glory Welterweight (-77 kg/169.8 lb) Championship (one time; three defenses; Former)
- 2011 WFCA K-1 Rules Super Middleweight World champion
- 2007 SIMTA 72 kg European champion
- Liver Kick.com
- 2005 SIMTA Light Middleweight European champion.
94 Wins (58 (T)KO's), 16 Losses, 0 Draws, 1 No Contest
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
Professional boxing record
|15 fights||14 wins||1 loss|
|15||Win||14–1||Bernard Donfack||TKO||3 (8)||28 Apr 2018||Baden-Arena, Offenburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany|
|14||Loss||13–1||Callum Smith||UD||12||24 Feb 2018||Arena Nürnberger Versicherung, Nuremberg, Germany||For WBC (Diamond) super middleweight title |
World Boxing Super Series: super-middleweight semi-final
|13||Win||13–0||Viktor Polyakov||TKO||2 (10)||3 Feb 2018||Sportschool Golden Glory, Helmond, Netherlands|
|12||Win||12–0||Cagri Ermis||KO||3 (10)||1 Apr 2017||Sportschool Golden Glory, Helmond, Netherlands|
|11||Win||11–0||Matingu Kindele||UD||10||9 Jul 2016||Sportschool Golden Glory, Helmond, Netherlands||Retained BeNeLux super middleweight title.|
|10||Win||10–0||Farouk Daku||UD||10||20 Feb 2016||Sportschool Golden Glory, Helmond, Netherlands||Won vacant BeNeLux super middleweight title.|
|9||Win||9–0||Yesilat Berkta||KO||2 (6)||11 Nov 2015||Update Disco, Meppen, Germany|
|8||Win||8–0||Ahmed El Ghoulbzouri||PTS||6||6 Jun 2015||Sporthal Genderbeemd, Eindhoven, Netherlands|
|7||Win||7–0||Mikheil Khutsishvili||KO||3 (8)||19 Apr 2015||Sportschool Golden Glory, Helmond, Netherlands|
|6||Win||6–0||Ruslan Shchelev||KO||6 (8)||12 Oct 2014||Sportschool Golden Glory, Helmond, Netherlands|
|5||Win||5–0||Ismael Altintas||TKO||2 (6)||13 Jul 2014||Sportschool Golden Glory, Helmond, Netherlands|
|4||Win||4–0||Gary Abajyan||TKO||3 (6)||14 Oct 2013||Theater Carré, Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|3||Win||3–0||Philipp Kolodziej||TKO||2 (6)||21 Sep 2013||Sportschool Golden Glory, Helmond, Netherlands|
|2||Win||2–0||Ata Dogan||TKO||1 (4)||6 Jul 2013||Sportschool Golden Glory, Helmond, Netherlands|
|1||Win||1–0||Anatolij Baron||KO||2 (4)||3 Mar 2013||Sportschool Golden Glory, Helmond, Netherlands|
Holzken's family and in-laws are Woonwagenbewoners, Indigenous Dutch Travellers (Gypsies).
- Glory 23 results Nevada Athletic Commission (August 7, 2015)
- DiPietro, Monty. "Zimmerman is the Man at K-1 Europe GP". K-1 Grand Prix Website. Retrieved 2008-05-24.
- Rian Scalia. "GLORY 2 Brussels Final Fight Card For This Saturday". LiverKick.com. Archived from the original on 2014-01-16. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Rian Scalia. "GLORY 2 Brussels Live Results". LiverKick.com.
- Rian Scalia. "GLORY 6 Poster/Fighters Expected to Participate". LiverKick.com.
- Rian Scalia. "Updated GLORY 6 Istanbul Fight Card For Saturday, April 6". LiverKick.com.
- Rian Scalia. "GLORY 6 Istanbul: Daniel Ghita vs. Gokhan Saki, Live Results". LiverKick.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on August 18, 2013. Retrieved July 18, 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 22, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 2, 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Dave Walsh. "GLORY SuperFight Series Tokyo and GLORY 13 Spoilers". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "GLORY Makes GLORY 14 in Zagreb Official". LiverKick.com.
- Roy. "GLORY 14 Zagreb: Fight Card". Kickboxingplanet.
- Dave Walsh. "Nieky Holzken vs. Marc De Bonte Set for GLORY 16 Denver". LiverKick.com.
- Dave Walsh. "Nieky Holzken Forced Out of GLORY 16 Title Fight". LiverKick.com.
- Davies, Gareth A. (2018-02-24). "Callum Smith defeats Nieky Holzken to set up George Groves World Boxing Series final". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- "Nieky Holzken Dazzles With A Crushing KO In His ONE Debut | ONE Championship". www.onefc.com. 2018-11-17. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- "Nieky Holzken booked to face Elliot Compton according to reports in Holland". Asian MMA. 2020-10-19. Retrieved 2020-10-19.
- "Nieuw contract en comeback in november voor Nieky Holzken bij ONE Championship: 'Ik blijf dé uitdager'". ed.nl. Retrieved 19 October 2020.
- "Holzken zorgt met knock-out voor spectaculaire rentree in Singapore". ad.nl. Retrieved 11 December 2020.
- "John Wayne Parr faces Nieky Holzken at ONE on TNT Part III". Asian MMA. 2021-02-27. Retrieved 2021-03-01.
- Sherdog.com. "One Championship 'One on TNT 3' Play-by-Play & Results". Sherdog. Retrieved 2021-04-22.
- Fraser Coffeen (9 January 2014). "Kickboxing 2013 Year End Awards: Fighter, Fight, and KO of the Year". Bloody Elbow.
- Dave Walsh. "LiverKick Best of 2013: Fight of the Year". LiverKick.com.
- AMPD MAGAZINE (17 Feb 2016). "Exclusive interview with Nieky Holzken World Welterweight Champion Kickboxer". YouTube. Retrieved 8 March 2021.
- "Woonwagenbewoner krijgt eigen realityprogramma op Spike". 23 Sep 2019. Retrieved 8 March 2021.