|Locale||Canton of Bern|
|Line length||3.5 km (2.2 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)|
|Highest elevation||2,336 m (7,664 ft)|
The Niesen Funicular is a funicular railway in the canton of Bern, Switzerland. It links a lower terminus, in the village of Mülenen and adjacent to Mülenen station on the Lötschberg railway line, with an upper terminus at the summit of the Niesen. The line is owned and operated by the Niesenbahn AG.
Construction of the line commenced in 1906, and it opened in 1910.
The service stairway for the Niesenbahn funicular is listed by Guinness Book of Records as the longest stairway, with 11,674 steps and a height of 1,669 m (5,476 ft). The stairs are usually employee-only, but there is a public run called "Niesenlauf" once a year.
The line operates from late April to mid November, with cars operating every 30 minutes between 08:00 and 17:00. A 15-minute interval service is provided at busy periods, and evening services are operated on some days.
|Lower section||Upper section|
|Number of cars||2||2|
|Number of stops||2||2|
|Configuration||Single track with passing loop||Single track with passing loop|
|Track length||2,112 m (6,929 ft)||1,388 m (4,554 ft)|
|Rise||975 m (3,199 ft)||667 m (2,188 ft)|
|Track gauge||1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) metre gauge||1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) metre gauge|
|Speed||2.9 m/s (9.5 ft/s)||2.0 m/s (6.6 ft/s)|
|Journey time||13 mins||12.5 mins|
|Capacity||60 passengers per car; 120 persons in each direction per hour||60 passengers per car; 120 persons in each direction per hour|
- "NB Neisenbahn". Funimag. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- "61,034 Mülenen - Schwandegg, Mülenen funicular". Swiss Inventory of Ropeways (in German). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- "61,035 Schwandegg - Niesen Kulm, Mülenen funicular". Swiss Inventory of Ropeways (in German). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- "Infos Niesen Funicular". Niesenbahn AG. Archived from the original on 2011-08-14. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- "Science and Technology/Structures/Long Stairway". Guinness World Records. Archived from the original on 2005-11-19. Retrieved 2019-11-19.
- "Timetable Niesen Funicular". Niesenbahn AG. Archived from the original on 2013-05-28. Retrieved 2013-05-24.
- Suppes, Bernd (1994). Suppes 94/95 Historische Wertpapiere (ISSN 0936-9406). Wiesbaden-Bieberich: WWA Bernd Suppes. p. 467.