- 1935-11-24: Nigata Station opens
- 1946-05-01: Nibori Ferry service begins
- 1976-06-01: Nigata Station ceases handling freight service
- 1982-07-01: Nibori Ferry service ceases
- 1987-04-01: Japanese National Railways is privatized, and Nigata Station becomes a JR West station
Station building and platforms
Nigata Station features two platforms capable of handling two lines simultaneously. Trains bound for Takehara and Mihara are handled on the upper end (上り) of the platform, and tains bound for Hiro, Kure, and Hiroshima are handled on the lower end (下り). A bookstore is located on platform two.
- Kure Municipal Offices, Nigata Branch
- Kure Municipal Nigata Elementary School
- Kure Municipal Nigata Junior High School
- Nigata Harbor
- Japan National Route 185
- Hiroshima Prefectural Route 261 (Nigata Harbor Route)
- Hiroshima Prefectural Route 279 (Hiro-Nigata Teishajō Route)
All lines are JR West lines.
- (Japanese) JR West