|Subspecies:||P. t. ellioti|
|Pan troglodytes ellioti
Pan troglodytes vellerosus
The Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes ellioti) is a subspecies of the common chimpanzee which inhabits the rainforests along the border of Nigeria and Cameroon. Male Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzees can weigh as much as 70 kilos with a body length of up to 1.2 metres and a height of 1.6 metres. Females are significantly smaller.
The Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzee is recognised as the most threatened and least distributed of all the common chimpanzee subspecies, and without a dramatic change to human behaviour in the area, there is a likelihood of extinction in the coming decades. A June 2008 report said the Edumanom Forest Reserve was the last known site for chimpanzees in the Niger Delta.
The Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzee is found in:
- Gashaka-Gumti National Park, Nigeria (900–1,000 individuals)
- Ngel Nyaki Forest Reserve, Nigeria
- Banyang-Mbo Wildlife Sanctuary, Cameroon (500–900 or 800–1,450 individuals)
- Ebo Wildlife Reserve, Cameroon (626–1,480 individuals)
- Mbam Djerem National Park, Cameroon (at least 500 individuals)
During a 2006 survey in southwestern Nigeria, the Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzee was found in Idanre Forest Reserve, Ifon Forest Reserve, Oluwa Forest Reserve, Omo Forest Reserve, Ise Forest Reserve, Ologbo Forest Reserve, and Okomu National Park. Chimpanzees were found in Ondo State, Ekiti State, Edo State, and Ogun State. Later surveys also confirmed chimpanzees to be present in Akure-Ofosu Forest Reserve. This population is on the verge of extinction. The genetic affiliations of this population are also unclear.
- Oates, J.F.; Dunn, A.; Greengrass, E. & Morgan, B.J. (2008). "Pan troglodytes ssp. ellioti". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2008. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- Hof, Jutta; Sommer, Volker: Apes Like Us: Portraits of a Kinship, Edition Panorama , Mannheim 2010, ISBN 978-3-89823-435-1, p. 114.
- "Chimpanzee Conservation - Cameroon". africanconservation.org. Archived from the original on May 14, 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-11.
- "Nigeria biodiversity and tropical forestry assessment" (PDF). USAID. June 2008. p. 76. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- Greengrass, Elizabeth J. 2006. A survey of chimpanzees in South-West Nigeria. NCF-WCS Biodiversity Research Programme.
- Ikemeh, Rachel Ashegbofe. 2013. Population Survey of Nigerian-Cameroon Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes ellioti) in Southwestern Nigerian Priority Sites: Idanre Forest Cluster and Ise Forest Reserve. African Primates 8:39-50 (2013).