|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Potholes at Nighoj river
|Nickname(s): प्रशांत दिवसे|
|• Body||Village panchayat|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||MH-16, MH-17|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Ahmednagar|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Parner|
|Nearest towns||Parner, Shirur, Alkuti|
Nighoj (Marathi: निघोज)is a village in Ahmednagar District, Maharashtra, India. It is about 90 kilometres away from Pune and is famous for the naturally created potholes (tinajas) on the riverbed of the Kukadi River. Experts from all over the world come here every year to study the phenomenon of their formation.
Geologists indicate that formerly there was greater rainfall in this area and that the Kukadi River flowed out from the highlands with such force that scouring of the bedrock took place and resulted in the formation of these potholes and the gorge.
- Jilha Parishad Prathamik Shala, Nighoj
- English Medium School, Nighoj
- Shri Mulika Devi Vidya Mandir, Nighoj
- Shri Mulika Devi Science & Art Junior College, Nighoj
- Malaganga Vidyalay,Nighoj
- Shri Mulika Art& Science Senior College, Nighoj
- Zilha Parishad Primary School,Lamkhade Vasti,Nighoj
- Zilha Parishad Primary School,Tanpure wadi, Lalage mala,Nighoj
The majority of the population in Nighoj is Hindu. But also there are few Muslims. There are several temples in the village. One of these temples, the Malaganga temple, is located on the bank of the gorge on the old river-bed itself and considered very auspicious. Every year there is a yatra of malaganga devi around 10 lac devotees come for pay their homage. There's a barav situated in the middle of nighoj this barav known for their hemadpanthi structure.
- Malaganga Temple
- Kapileshwar Temple
- Waghajai mata Temple
- Central Bank of India,Nighoj
- State Bank of India,Nighoj
- A D C C Bank,Nighoj
@ Co-operative Banks @ 1. Nighoj Nagari Sahakari Patsantha,Nighoj 2.Malganga sahkari Patsantha,Nighoj 3.Swami samarth Cooperative Bank,Nighoj
Places of interest
- Pot Holes, Malaganga Temple
- Morachi Chincholi
- Natural Pot Holes-Geographical Wonder
- Parner tehsil
- List of Villages in Parner Tehsil
- Kukadi River
- Kukadi Left Canal
- malaganga mata
- Gunaji, Milind (2010). Offbeat Tracks in Maharashtra (second ed.). Mumbai, India: Popular Prakashan. p. 231. ISBN 978-81-7991-578-3.
- Babar, Md. (2005). "8. Hydrogeomorphology of Landforms". Hydrogeomorphology: Fundamentals, Applications and Techniques. New Delhi: New India Publishing Agency. pp. 149–150. ISBN 978-81-89422-01-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nighoj.|