|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation Vita|
|Genre(s)||Graphic adventure, survival horror|
NightCry[a] is a graphic adventure survival horror video game developed by Nude Maker and published by Playism Games. NightCry is directed and written by Clock Tower series creator Hifumi Kono, and is considered a spiritual successor to the series. It was first released for Microsoft Windows in March 2016, and later for the PlayStation Vita in January 2019. Ports for Android and iOS were also planned, but were never released.
The game was directed by Hifumi Kono as a spiritual successor to the Clock Tower series. Kono notes that the female protagonist of NightCry is louder and more confident than the female protagonist from Clock Tower. He cites the differences as a result of his changing perception of women, who he no longer idealises as docile and ladylike. Kono collaborated with film director Takashi Shimizu on the project, who directed a 12 minute short film to promote the game.
Originally intended to be released for Android and iOS, the game took to crowdfunding platform Kickstarter to raise funds for a PC version in January 2015. The campaign was successful, raising US$314,771 in February 2015. The Windows version was released on 29 March 2016, while a PlayStation Vita port was released in North America on 31 January 2019.
Western critical reception to NightCry was mixed. Caitlin Cooke of Destructoid gave the game a 2 out of 10, saying that she could not "recommend anyone play NightCry unless you have a steel resolve, unlimited time on your hands, and a penchant for terrible physics and animations straight out of the PS2 era". In contrast, L. Harvard of Digitally Downloaded gave the game a 4.5 out of 5, saying "an authentic Clock Tower-style, classic stalker horror experience for the modern day. The ambition and the unique vision of NightCry genuinely make me excited that there is a future in traditional gameplay".
- Matt Leone (2015-01-21). "First look: Clock Tower spiritual successor Night Cry". Polygon. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- Gavin J. Blair (2015-02-10). "Japanese Director of 'The Grudge' Working on Horror Video Game". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- Adam Smith (2016-03-30). "Turn Back The Clock Tower: NightCry Released". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- "PLAYISM is proud to announce that NightCry for the PlayStation Vita is out now on the North American PS Store, with the European PS Store release date to be announced soon". Gamasutra. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- Cooke, Caitlin. "Review: NightCry". Destructoid. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Harvard, L. "Review: NightCry". Retrieved 10 October 2016.