Night Shift (comics)
|First appearance||Captain America #330 (June 1987)|
Werewolf by Night
|This section requires expansion. (May 2009)|
After their initial appearance in Captain America #330 and #331 (June and July 1987), the team makes a cameo appearance in Solo Avengers #3 (February 1988). Their next battle is against the West Coast Avengers in West Coast Avengers vol. 2, #40 (January 1989).
Their first appearance in the 1990s is a four-issue story arc in Avengers: West Coast #76-#79 (November 1991 - February 1992) titled "Infamous Monsters of Hollywood". They then return to the pages of Captain America in issue #420 (October 1993).
The team does not reappear until they are a part of the "Dark Reign" storyline  getting involved in Marvel Zombies 4, where the Midnight Sons clash with the plans of Hood. Fred Van Lente explains that "the Hood doesn't just bring any group of villains with him on this jaunt. He brings a very horror-oriented group of villains with him. People know I love to dip as far back as I can into obscure Marvel-ania and a team I always enjoyed and never felt got their time was the Night Shift. So they're working for the Hood now."
Their final appearances are in Moon Knight vol. 4, #3-#6 (September - December 2011) which ends with the team's death.
Fictional team biography
Based in California, the group is gathered and initially controlled by Shroud. He is assisted by Werewolf by Night, misleading the team into believing they are forming a criminal gang, when in reality they are acting as vigilantes. The team's original lineup consists of:
- Brothers Grimm (Percy and Barton Grimes) - The Grimes brothers have the magical ability to conjure novelty weapons from their costumes. They are currently members of the Masters of Evil.
- Dansen Macabre - Dansen Macabre has the ability to hypnotize, kill or become undetectable while she is dancing. She is killed with the rest of team by Count Nefaria for failing to kill Moon Knight.
- Digger (Roderick Krupp) - Krupp has increased durability and seems to show no pain regardless of the extent of his injuries. He is killed with the rest of team by Count Nefaria for failing to kill Moon Knight.
- Gypsy Moth (Sybil Dvorak) - Dvorak is a telekinetic, though she uses it almost exclusively on fabrics. She uses it to levitate as well. She is a member of the Women Warriors, Delaware's Fifty State Initiative team.
- Needle (Josef Saint) - Saint has the ability to hypnotize people with his eye. He is killed with the rest of team by Count Nefaria for failing to kill Moon Knight.
- Shroud (Maximillian Coleridge) - Coleridge has the ability to summon material from the Darkforce Dimension.
- Tatterdemalion (Arnold Paffenroth) - Paffenroth has augmented strength. He is killed with the rest of team by Count Nefaria for failing to kill Moon Knight.
- Tick-Tock - Tick-Tock has the ability to see one minute into the future. He is killed with the rest of team by Count Nefaria for failing to kill Moon Knight.
- Werewolf by Night (Jacob Russoff) - Russoff's lycanthropy gives him superhuman speed, strength, agility as well as sharpened senses and a healing factor. He is a member of the Midnight Sons and the Legion of Monsters.
With the exceptions of Digger and the Brothers Grimm, the Shroud met the team while a fellow captive of Locksmith. In their first appearance, they help Captain America take on the Power Broker. In West Coast Avengers vol. 2, #40 (January 1989), Mockingbird witnesses Digger burying three criminals. She takes the four of them to the local police precinct, where they are arrested. The rest of the team respond by attacking the West Coast Avengers at their headquarters. Night Shift is defeated, but the Shroud teleports them away. Later, the Shroud is shown with Hawkeye swapping opinions about the encounter.
Their next encounter with the West Coast Avengers occurs in Avengers: West Coast. The team is led by Hangman, who calls on Satannish. The powers of the team are greatly increased, but in the end they are defeated anyway.
In Marvel Zombies 4, the team is under the command of the Hood. They battle the Midnight Sons but before they can finish fighting, they are overcome by a cloud of the airborne zombie virus. The entire team is turned into zombies. Through mystical means the virus is contained, transforming the team back into their human forms and the Hood teleports them away.
During their appearances, two new members were introduced.
- Hangman (Jason Roland) - Roland possesses superhuman strength and durability. He also uses a mystically enchanted rope that he can control telepathically. He joins the team in Avengers: West Coast #76 (November 1991).
- Misfit (Mitchell Godey) - Godey possesses superhuman strength and durability. He joins the team in West Coast Avengers vol. 2, #40 (January 1989). He is killed with the rest of team by Count Nefaria for failing to kill Moon Knight.
- Night Shift at the Marvel Universe
|This article has not been added to any categories. Please help out by adding categories to it so that it can be listed with similar articles. (August 2015)|