Night Shift (software)
Night Shift is a built in software feature of iOS and macOS. It was introduced into iOS in iOS 9.3 and into macOS in macOS Sierra 10.12.4. The feature changes the color temperature of the display towards the yellowish part of the color spectrum that reduces some of the blue light from the screen. Apple claims that the feature may help users have a better night's sleep by filtering blue wavelengths from the display. The feature is similar to the functionality f.lux provides.
The feature can be turned on in Settings (in iOS) and in System Preferences (in macOS) and can be toggled on or off manually in the Notification Center (in macOS) or in the Control Center (in iOS). The feature can be enabled or disabled with Siri in iOS and macOS. The feature can set so it is enabled at sunset and turn off at sunrise (the default) or turned on and off on a custom schedule. The feature when set to enable at sunset and disable at sunrise relies on the user's approximate location to determine the time of sunset and sunrise. The user can also customize the intensity of Night Shift in Settings (iOS) or System Preferences (macOS).
- Electronic media and sleep
- Redshift (software)
- Night Light, a feature of the Creator's Update of Windows 10
- "How to use Night Shift on your Mac". iMore. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "How to use Night Shift on your iPhone or iPad | iMore". www.imore.com. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Can Apple's color-shifting screen really help you fall asleep faster?". The Verge. 2016-03-29. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "iOS 9.3: The new Night Shift feature probably won't help you sleep better". Macworld. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Bell, Karissa. "F.lux creators ask Apple to open Night Shift features to developers". Mashable. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Bell, Karissa. "How to use Apple's new Night Shift feature in iOS 9.3". Mashable. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- Benjamin, Jeff (2016-03-23). "How-To: Set up and use Night Shift mode on iPhone and iPad [Video]". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "How to Use Night Shift in macOS Sierra 10.12.4". Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "How to enable Night Shift in iOS 9.3". CNET. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Wong, Raymond. "Apple's upcoming Mac update will include a long-awaited feature that will help you sleep". Mashable. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Hall, Zac (2017-01-25). "How to enable Night Shift for Mac and how it works on macOS 10.12.4 [Video]". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "How to Use Night Shift Mode in iOS 9.3". Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "How to adjust macOS Sierra 10.12.4's Night Shift settings". Macworld. Retrieved 2017-04-29.